English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 30 July 2018, 22:16   #41
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
For the tiles, one technique I was using was to paste one image onto the other with overlap. If the image moves when pasting, then there's a problem. but one error and the tile recognition system is toast. TBH I used that on pixel-perfect game maps, probably ripped from original logical tile data
I also used that on custom-made levels done with paintshoppro with grid lock on 32x16

If you don't have the tile maps and you can't rip them, the easiest way to do it in my opinion is to bust out Python.

https://github.com/bjorn/tiled/wiki/Import-from-Image

mcgeezer is offline  
Old 30 July 2018, 22:32   #42
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,366
A couple of hours tonight pretty much completing the sprite formatting.

There's a lot of work to be done with this as the sprites look a bit washed out, if I can switch palettes between enemies on screen then I can get more colours... probably double at least.

[ Show youtube player ]

Notice how I have put the enemies death sprites right at the end... this is so that I can easily work out that I don't need to generate enemy collision masks for those sprites.... anything else will interact with Rygar (either kill him or help him).
mcgeezer is offline  
Old 30 July 2018, 22:35   #43
jotd
This cat is no more
jotd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: FRANCE
Age: 48
Posts: 3,209
nice find.
jotd is offline  
Old 30 July 2018, 22:38   #44
jotd
This cat is no more
jotd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: FRANCE
Age: 48
Posts: 3,209
I couldn't help but notice a "sidearms" folder
jotd is offline  
Old 30 July 2018, 22:42   #45
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I couldn't help but notice a "sidearms" folder
Ha - yeah, I love side arms! Maybe after Rygar.
mcgeezer is offline  
Old 30 July 2018, 23:53   #46
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France
dlfrsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Melun nearby Paris/France
Age: 42
Posts: 8,161
Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Ha - yeah, I love side arms! Maybe after Rygar.
Gimme a poke if you need anything I have a few things here and there !
dlfrsilver is offline  
Old 31 July 2018, 00:20   #47
invent
pixels

invent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Australia
Age: 48
Posts: 272
Interesting thread

How I matched the Rygar maps when working with Sandruzzo. I used "Tiled" software (Mac,PC) and setup a extra Reference layer from the arcade maps, and in general modify the transparency as well as toggle on/off to see any tile changes.

The 27 Rounds of Tiled maps have been created here. These are most likely unusable as they use all the tiles in one file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TL...xvXr8inM2xJ6-3


If you can lock down final tile arrangement and colourset you want and export an iff/png, I'd be happy to recreate the maps. This time though I won't make them all, instead as you require a new map/Round as they do indeed take a long time. If you have someone else creating the maps, great also

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rygar)2017_k_Tiled.png
Views:	172
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	59044  
invent is offline  
Old 31 July 2018, 09:24   #48
buzzybee
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Landsberg / Germany
Posts: 238
Ambitious project, probably a bit too big for a one man show?

Your memory structure seems to make sense. From what I learned while coding RESHOOT R I´d seriously spend more memory on audio. Also don´t forget that code on such a project can easily add upto 300 kb if you want to minimise loading time. Also, you might learn that you need additional buffers for multiplication tables, copper list double buffering etc.

The engine I developed for RESHOOT R would perfectly fit Rygar. Therefore, if you have any technical or structural question, don´t hesitate to contact me.

Good luck and have fun while developing, can´t wait to see moving pictures!

Last edited by buzzybee; 31 July 2018 at 10:57.
buzzybee is offline  
Old 31 July 2018, 14:08   #49
S0ulA55a551n
Registered User
S0ulA55a551n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rhondda, Wales
Age: 42
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post

Notice how I have put the enemies death sprites right at the end... this is so that I can easily work out that I don't need to generate enemy collision masks for those sprites.... anything else will interact with Rygar (either kill him or help him).

This confuses me , I guess you object would have a state so the animation frame its on would not matter would it ?
S0ulA55a551n is offline  
Old 31 July 2018, 16:05   #50
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
This confuses me , I guess you object would have a state so the animation frame its on would not matter would it ?
The sprites are ordered on the basis of their type . i.e collectibles/enemies/players/explosions etc.

So for example you might have 100 sprites, 1-20 might be player animations, 21-50 might be collectibles, 51-70 enemies and 71-100 might just be for visual show... like explosions, enemy deaths or background animations like water falls.

So for sprites that don't interact with the player (like explosions) you don't want to generate any collision masks, so in this example the easiest way to do it is state any sprite drawn above 70 does not draw a collision mask and therefore won't affect the player if visually it collides during game play.

If it doesn't make sense I'll try and explain it a bit more later down the line with examples.
mcgeezer is offline  
Old 31 July 2018, 17:43   #51
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France
dlfrsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Melun nearby Paris/France
Age: 42
Posts: 8,161
Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
very interesting
dlfrsilver is offline  
Old 31 July 2018, 23:31   #52
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
Interesting thread

How I matched the Rygar maps when working with Sandruzzo. I used "Tiled" software (Mac,PC) and setup a extra Reference layer from the arcade maps, and in general modify the transparency as well as toggle on/off to see any tile changes.

The 27 Rounds of Tiled maps have been created here. These are most likely unusable as they use all the tiles in one file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TL...xvXr8inM2xJ6-3


If you can lock down final tile arrangement and colourset you want and export an iff/png, I'd be happy to recreate the maps. This time though I won't make them all, instead as you require a new map/Round as they do indeed take a long time. If you have someone else creating the maps, great also

Good luck
Here is what the sprites and tiles look like merged.

[ Show youtube player ]

Personally - I think they look good enough. I'm concerned about the Blue depth so may fiddle with that a little.

I need to remap the colours for the hardware sprites on the 64 pixel wide Rhino, Vulture and a couple of other large sprites but that is no biggy.

You have saved me months of work here (if I have permission to use them) - I have PM'd you.

I'd like opinions (particularly from mods) that if I use these graphics the team would be disqualified from the competition. I'll still continue the project regardless but this needs to be clarified.

Geezer
mcgeezer is offline  
Old 01 August 2018, 01:31   #53
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 42
Posts: 15,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
You have saved me months of work here (if I have permission to use them) - I have PM'd you.
I'd like opinions (particularly from mods) that if I use these graphics the team would be disqualified from the competition.
No objections from me.

...as others have already pointed out; it's a massive, ambitious project so any help you can get from previous graphic rips / adjustments are fine IMHO.

I'm sure you'll credit all sources / people involved so where's the problem?

At the end of the day, we are all looking forward to a killer Amiga version of the arcade classic Rygar

...competition or not; if you complete this then I'll pay you all the money pledged so far; that's a promise and I'm a man of my word!!!
DamienD is offline  
Old 01 August 2018, 01:41   #54
Ian
Global Moderator

Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Derby, UK
Age: 41
Posts: 2,178
You do what you want. Not likely to throw out the only entrant (thus far)

I just checked the millionth and final, final draft and reusing art is allowed. No where does it state it has to be your art so do crack on sir.
Ian is offline  
Old 01 August 2018, 05:20   #55
buzzybee
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Landsberg / Germany
Posts: 238
Sorry if this is a silly question, but: What competition are you talking about?
buzzybee is offline  
Old 01 August 2018, 09:22   #56
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
Sorry if this is a silly question, but: What competition are you talking about?
Given you are probably not an English native speaker... contest = competition.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=92858
mcgeezer is offline  
Old 01 August 2018, 09:23   #57
mcgeezer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
No objections from me.

...as others have already pointed out; it's a massive, ambitious project so any help you can get from previous graphic rips / adjustments are fine IMHO.

I'm sure you'll credit all sources / people involved so where's the problem?

At the end of the day, we are all looking forward to a killer Amiga version of the arcade classic Rygar

...competition or not; if you complete this then I'll pay you all the money pledged so far; that's a promise and I'm a man of my word!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
You do what you want. Not likely to throw out the only entrant (thus far)

I just checked the millionth and final, final draft and reusing art is allowed. No where does it state it has to be your art so do crack on sir.
Spot on gents - crack on I will. Full credit will be given to all involved, now and historically.
mcgeezer is offline  
Old 01 August 2018, 12:19   #58
buzzybee
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Landsberg / Germany
Posts: 238
Thanks for clarification. I do know the word "competition" and "contest", just did not know about this very specific Amiga game compo. The whole compo-thread seems a bit messy, but as soon as it´s cleaned up, the rules are specified and the compo really starts, it might try my luck with RESHOOT R :-)
buzzybee is offline  
Old 01 August 2018, 12:55   #59
Tsak
Registered User

Tsak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Athens
Posts: 520
Entering that contest with an already worked on project was a point of disagreement and it seems the general consensus was towards entries made FOR this competition speciffically. Imho, this is unfortunate since it excludes by default a ton of amazing Amiga projects (like ReshootR) already in the making, but what can you do?

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic, back to Rygar AGA discussion.
Tsak is offline  
Old 01 August 2018, 14:37   #60
buzzybee
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Landsberg / Germany
Posts: 238
So, only compo projects are allowed, and the author only has six months from start to finish? Can´t imagine that this leads anywhere, since the timeframe is too tight if you don´t use any kind of working framework (like Blitz). It also rules out Rygar, right?
buzzybee is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Asman
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Entry: Rygar AGA Edition mcgeezer Coders. Entries 75 28 February 2019 20:41
On the Ball - World Cup Edition AGA djcasey request.Old Rare Games 4 25 January 2013 12:39
On The Ball League Edition AGA , Player Manager 2 StarEye Games images which need to be WHDified 11 22 January 2010 18:21
The Vague #1 AGA-RTG edition is released ! kas1e Amiga scene 12 30 October 2007 00:27
On The Ball: World Cup Edition AGA CodyJarrett request.Old Rare Games 11 27 May 2003 06:14

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.14052 seconds with 16 queries