English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 04 March 2014, 20:31   #81
prowler
Global Moderator

Machine is now rebuilt with replacement PSU and two hard drives. Restoration of the software is almost complete. Not long now.
Old 07 March 2014, 12:18   #82
dirkies
Zone Friend

ok, will ping ya back in a fortnight then
Old 11 July 2014, 18:23   #83
dirkies
Zone Friend

Hi Prowler!

I assume you had enough time to rebuild your machine and find some time to salvage the Powerstyx 100% floppy? Thanks for any update you may have, I would really like to play this game once more...
Old 11 July 2014, 22:35   #84
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Dirkies!

I now have myself a Super Copy Pro card. I'm thinking that the most direct way I can salvage your Powerstyx 100% floppy is to use this new card to dump an .scp image which can be played with the latest versions of WinUAE.

If you'd be happy with that - in the first instance at least - then Powerstyx100 will become the first copy protected disk I have dumped with my new card.
Old 12 July 2014, 10:28   #85
dirkies
Zone Friend

Waiting for it to appear in the zone
I will then figure out a way to move it back to a real floppy.
It has no copy protection though (cracked & trained by BS1), it's just in nibble mode. So maybe you can also do it with kryoflux?
Old 21 August 2014, 13:23   #86
dirkies
Zone Friend

Hopefully Prowler has now some good news for me???
Old 21 August 2014, 22:44   #87
prowler
Global Moderator

I'm sorry you're still waiting for this. I am really busy right now. The best I can tell you for the moment is that I haven't forgotten either your PowerStyx disk or any of the others in partial stages of recovery.
Old 03 January 2015, 15:34   #88
dirkies
Zone Friend

Hi Prowler
could you do me a late xmas present and image this disk, or send it to someone else who can do it, as it's been over 2 years now, and I would really like to give Powerstyx 100% a go here! It will only take a little time for you, and then I can waste a lot of time playing the game here
Old 04 January 2015, 00:40   #89
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Dirkies,

Has it really been that long?

Thanks for the regular reminders, really. I've just been so damned busy. Your patience must be running very thin indeed...

Ergo, just for you, I hereby make a New Year resolution to image that disk in January.

You can expect some news this week...
Old 10 January 2015, 22:30   #90
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Dirkies,

I started preparing to image your Powerstyx 100 disk today by unpacking my shiny new SuperCard Pro from its bubble mailer and connecting it to a USB 2.0 port on my WinXP machine.

Downloaded the latest (v1.5.0.1) software and installed it. So far so good.

Downloaded the latest (v1.1) firmware updater, but Avast! reports that it's infected with the Win32:Malware-gen virus.

I presume the latest version of the software requires the latest firmware update, but first I thought I would determine the existing firmware version and try to update it as far as possible.

Firmware updater v0.8 reported that the existing firmware was at version 0.8, so updated the firmware to version 0.9 with firmware updater v0.9 - again, so far so good.

However, firmware updater v1.0 also appears to be infected with the Win32:Malware-gen virus.

On a different note, I have found that I am unable to insert my storage medium (a Kingston Technology 8GB Micro-SDHC Class 4) all the way into the SuperCard Pro's Micro-SD card slot.

I don't think local storage is required to produce or store disk images. Nevertheless, I'm now off to join the CBMSTUFF forum and get some support.

Last edited by prowler; 11 January 2015 at 21:24. Reason: typo.
Old 11 January 2015, 01:41   #91
BarryB
Amigaholic

You may be getting false positives from your AV! Disable it while updating the f/w, I doubt Jim is that lax he allows viruses on his servers! It's been compressed with PE Compact so your AV may think it's a Virus, quite a few packers trigger false positives!

My AVG doesn't pick it up and neither does Malwarebytes!
Old 11 January 2015, 21:23   #92
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
You may be getting false positives from your AV! Disable it while updating the f/w, I doubt Jim is that lax he allows viruses on his servers! It's been compressed with PE Compact so your AV may think it's a Virus, quite a few packers trigger false positives!

My AVG doesn't pick it up and neither does Malwarebytes!
Thanks, Barry.

Jim has confirmed that there is no virus. He compresses and encrypts the executable files, and some anti-virus programs have an issue with this.

I have now fitted the Kingston Micro-SD HC card in accordance with instructions provided by Jim. (It's really not obvious unless you're already familiar with those surface mounted card slots.)

I disabled the Avast! shields and updated the SuperCard Pro firmware first to version 1.0 and then to version 1.1.

There is no indication yet that the SD card is detected by the SCP program or available in any way for local storage. I'm wondering whether this will this become evident later when I connect a floppy drive and try to make an image of a disk.

I had expected the SD card to be accessible from Windows Explorer with the SuperCard Pro board plugged into the PC, but it isn't. The card is formatted AFAIK (I have no other way of reading it). I'm not sure whether the SCP program can use the SD card to store disk images locally, or it is used only for temporary storage of images when copying disks, etc.

In any event, I will attempt to use dirkies' Powerstyx 100 disk to make my first .scp image tomorrow.

Last edited by prowler; 12 January 2015 at 01:20. Reason: typo.
Old 12 January 2015, 00:28   #93
BarryB
Amigaholic

Glad you got the f/w installed! I don't own an SCP so can't answer how the SD card is used, guess it's back to the SCP forums!
Old 12 January 2015, 15:52   #94
dirkies
Zone Friend

if you suspect false positives, give it a swing here:
https://www.virustotal.com/

upload file and it will show which AVs report it as a virus. IMHO a false positive for sure!
Old 12 January 2015, 18:29   #95
BarryB
Amigaholic

I already did that and 17/55 found it suspicious! The 'File detail' detects it as PE Compact though so that's why it gets detected as suspicious, not surprising when most viruses are delivered via compressed executables!
Old 12 January 2015, 18:38   #96
butfluffy

in this thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ight=powerstyx hipoonios states that he completed and recorded a longplay of powerstyx using the version cracked by skyline which appears now to be in the tosec collection on the EAB server. i assume tghis version does not have any corruption due to the fact it has been completed by hipoonios.
it would be cool to have the bsl -tkt version for collecting sake but judgeing from that thread there is an already 100% completable version available.
there is also a Nebulus & Powerstyx (1988)[h ACU] on the EAB server. i wonder if the version contained on this disk is also 100% completable.
i had no luck finding the ipf for powerstyx yet unfortunatly the game looks like great fun though.
Old 13 January 2015, 01:57   #97
prowler
Global Moderator

It turns out that the SD card feature for local storage is not yet implemented.

However, I've not had much success at all with my SuperCard Pro and Amiga-formatted 5¼-inch floppy disks today.

Regarding the Powerstyx 100 disk, the only meaningful dump I obtained was from side 0, track 0 - a mere 5632 bytes, and of that the boot sector was bad!

Although I've posted again in the CBMStuff forum tonight describing my latest efforts and requesting support, the majority of Amiga owners using a SuperCard Pro are dumping 3½-inch disks, and their experiences are well documented there.

In an attempt to become suitably acquainted with my new accessory, my next step will be to give it a try with some tried and tested Amiga-formatted 3½-inch disks and PC drives.
Old 14 January 2015, 01:24   #98
prowler
Global Moderator

I am now informed that the adf converter was only designed for 3½-inch disks, therefore it does not work (yet) with 5¼-inch Amiga disks.

The Supercard Pro can theoretically duplicate any disk, so it should let me duplicate dirkies' 5¼-inch Amiga-formatted Powerstyx100 disk, but what it can't do is copy the 5¼-inch format to a 3½-inch disk.

The indications are that the Supercard Pro is not reading the Powerstyx100 disk properly, even when writing a flux (.scp) image, so the only option I have at the moment is to see if I can bet better performance by duplicating the Powerstyx100 disk using another 5¼-inch double density disk as destination instead.

Even if that works, the Supercard Pro still won't be able to provide an image of the disk suitable for use in emulation.

I am reluctant to disturb my existing KryoFlux setup, which won't produce the goods either, so it will have to be StingRay's Powercopy 3.07a cracked after all!
Old 16 January 2015, 16:45   #99
dirkies
Zone Friend

can't you just copy over the 5 1/4 floppy to a 3 1/2 floppy with XCopy Nibble mode (cause that is how I copied it back in the days) and then use the 3 1/2 floppy with the Supercard or Kryoflux?
Old 17 January 2015, 00:31   #100
prowler
Global Moderator

Yes, if what it takes. When I get that disk mounted on my Amiga 1200, I'll throw everything I have at it.