English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 June 2006, 20:03   #21
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
Yes, no problems here. Only with the Vsync ON there are problems with the sound. Work it in 100 Hz PAL?
Definitely no Vsync on...

Ok, trying now in 100Hz PAL mode

Back soon...
Old 09 June 2006, 20:06   #22
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
Definitely no Vsync on...

Ok, trying now in 100Hz PAL mode

Back soon...
Check your graphic cards driver settings for Vsync settings. My NVidia card has a "Vsync only selected by application" feature. A permanent Vsync setting can cause your trouble.
Old 09 June 2006, 20:18   #23
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Check your graphic cards driver settings for Vsync settings. My NVidia card has a "Vsync only selected by application" feature. A permanent Vsync setting can cause your trouble.
Damn it, 100Hz PAL mode doesn't work either

Looked through all my graphics card setting and there is nothing about Vsync. BTW I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 in my IBM ThinkPad T30...
Old 09 June 2006, 20:20   #24
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Damn it, 100Hz PAL mode doesn't work either

Looked through all my graphics card setting and there is nothing about Vsync. BTW I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 in my IBM ThinkPad T30...
I never used a ATI card. I like the NVidia detonator driver, easy to configure. Maybe other ATI users can help you, sorry.

Edit: have you tried the 100 % exact sound setting?
Old 09 June 2006, 20:23   #25
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I never used a ATI card. I like the NVidia detonator driver, easy to configure. Maybe other ATI users can help you, sorry.
True...

Although, I must say what would really help me out (and other .adf users). Somebody talented (like -Rob-, CodyJarett, CFOU!, demoniac, Galahad or musashi9) to crack the original .ipf file and apply a PAL fix (without any trainers)

or

Solve the NTSC problem I'm having (I know you've tried very hard my friend and I appreciate this but I need a solution that isn't graphics card specific)...

I would be the happiest man alive
Old 09 June 2006, 20:25   #26
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
True...

Although I must say that what would really help me (and other .adf users) would be for somebody talented (like -Rob-, CodyJarett, CFOU!, demoniac, Galahad or musashi9) to crack the original .ipf file and apply a PAL fix (without any trainers)

I would be the happiest man alive
Have you tried this? Posted by dlfrsilver.

I have a hint for those who have a problem with the 60hz NTSC screen mode.

Press BOTH mouse button during game loading, the screen will be in 50hz
Old 09 June 2006, 20:30   #27
DamienD
Banned

Yup, and it does work. Just a pain to remember all the time...

Thanks dlfrsilver

The ultmate solution still would be for some talented programmer like -Rob-, CodyJarett, CFOU!, demoniac, Galahad or musashi9 to crack the original .ipf file and apply a PAL fix (without any trainers)...

This would make all .adf PAL user's life great
Old 09 June 2006, 20:32   #28
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Yup, and it does work. Just a pain to remember all the time...

Thanks dlfrsilver

The ultmate solution still would be for some talented programmer like -Rob-, CodyJarett, CFOU!, demoniac, Galahad or musashi9 to crack the original .ipf file and apply a PAL fix (without any trainers)...

This would make all .adf PAL users life great
This hint was in your old Dynablaster Thread, but i guess you forgot about.
Old 09 June 2006, 20:43   #29
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
This hint was in your old Dynablaster Thread, but i guess you forgot about.
Yes, I've now added this fix into my custom cheats / fixes text file that I keep with all games in their folders...

The problem being is that anybody who is not a regular user / reader of EAB will have any idea why the sound is jumping (and not mention me when I don't play the game for 6 months / 1 year)

I believe the Amiga community needs a fully working .adf PAL version of Dyna Blaster without cheats enabled by default. It's a fun, cool game

Who's up for the job

PS. Damn, I wish I knew more about programming besides batch files (which isn't really programming). If I did I'd be trying to fix all those old cracks that don't work 100%
Old 10 June 2006, 04:10   #30
rbdgg

Quote:
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody can help me out?

I'm trying to test Out of this World which I believe is an NTSC game.

Just a few quick questions relating to testing NTSC games in WinUAE...

1) What kickstart do I need to use? Kickstart v1.0 (A1000)(NTSC).rom or Kickstart v1.1 (A1000)(NTSC) rev 31.34.rom or is the standard Kickstart v1.3 (A500,A1000,A2000) rev 34.5.rom ok?

2) From under Hardware --> Chipset, do I need to tick NTSC from under Chipset Type?

Here's what I've tried so far:

a) Using normal Kickstart v1.3 (A500,A1000,A2000) rev 34.5.rom and ticking NTSC, I can finish the first level. I'm then asked for disk 2, it starts loading but then stops...

b) Using Kickstart v1.0 (A1000)(NTSC).rom and ticking NTSC, the game doesn't even load to the protection screen...

c) Once when using Kickstart v1.1 (A1000)(NTSC) rev 31.34.rom and ticking NTSC, I could finish the first level. I'm then asked for disk 2 and level 2 did load sucessfully. However, now when I try the same config again the game doesn't even load to the protection screen...

I had the same issue a while back. I had success playing this game with kickstart 2.04, although the car skidding sound at the beginning sounded funky. Perhaps kickstart 3.1 will work as well.

Old 10 June 2006, 13:41   #31
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbdgg
I had the same issue a while back. I had success playing this game with kickstart 2.04, although the car skidding sound at the beginning sounded funky. Perhaps kickstart 3.1 will work as well.
Hello rbdgg,

Welcome to EAB and thank you for your reply.

Trying different Kickstarts was my next step though I got bored with trying to get this working (especially after testing a few different versions of Another World over that past few days)

Guess I'll try Out of this World again with different Kickstarts when I can be bothered

What I would really like a solution to is being able to do is play NTSC games through WinUAE in Full Screen without the CPU going crazy

PS. thanks Retro-Nerd for all tips though...
Old 10 June 2006, 13:58   #32
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

For the cpu usage of Out of this world: disable the Vsync and you get a normal value. With NTSC chipset & NTSC 120 Hz i get a cpu usage of 120 % as well. Without Vsync i have 11-15 %. The Another World protection wheel works well on the us version.

When this doesn't work for you i guess you have a permanent vsync setting in your graphic card driver.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 10 June 2006 at 14:10.
Old 10 June 2006, 14:05   #33
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
For the cpu usage of Out of this world: disable the Vsync and you get a normal value.
...but I don't have Vsync ticked (ever)

Quote:
With NTSC chipset & NTSC 120 Hz i get a cpu usage of 120 % as well. Without Vsync i have 11-15 %.
It doesn't matter if I select Default, (50Hz) PAL, 60Hz NTSC, (100Hz) PAL or (120Hz) NTSC. With Full screen ticked it goes crazy

Strange that it works for you, must be my video card then
Old 10 June 2006, 14:25   #34
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
...but I don't have Vsync ticked (ever)

It doesn't matter if I select Default, (50Hz) PAL, 60Hz NTSC, (100Hz) PAL or (120Hz) NTSC. With Full screen ticked it goes crazy

Strange that it works for you, must be my video card then
Have you something like this in your driver setting?

http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/an...-5/driver1.png

look at the Vertical Sync settings!!
Old 10 June 2006, 14:36   #35
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Have you something like this in your driver setting?

http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/an...-5/driver1.png

look at the Vertical Sync settings!!
Can't see you piccie but took a look again through my graphics card settings...

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/619...icscard9zn.jpg

Hmmm, Wait for Vertical Sync: is set to Application Preference. It's not selected in WinUAE though so would expect this to be cool.

I'll try selecting Always off and let you know what happens... Many thanks
Old 10 June 2006, 14:45   #36
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Normally the "Wait for Application Preference" setting is enough. I thought that the ATI driver has a ALWAYS ON setting but it seems that he doesn't. There should be no problems!!

Edit: You should set it back to "Application Preference" after testing or other emulators like Kega Fusion or Gens will not produce a smooth scrolling. Vsync is important for those emulators and others as well.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 10 June 2006 at 14:51.
Old 10 June 2006, 15:07   #37
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Normally the "Wait for Application Preference" setting is enough. I thought that the ATI driver has a ALWAYS ON setting but it seems that he doesn't. There should be no problems!!

Edit: You should set it back to "Application Preference" after testing or other emulators like Kega Fusion or Gens will not produce a smooth scrolling. Vsync is important for those emulators and others as well.
Cool, with Always off set the CPU doesn't go mental

Strange though that with Application Preference set on the graphics card and VSync not ticked in WinUAE I have this problem

On an note, tried leaving Always off set and running Dyna Blaster... I had NTSC ticked through WinUAE and tried Default, (50Hz) PAL, 60Hz NTSC, (100Hz) PAL or (120Hz) NTSC. Sound issues still present
Old 10 June 2006, 15:12   #38
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Cool, with Always off set the CPU doesn't go mental

Strange though that with Application Preference set on the graphics card and VSync not ticked in WinUAE I have this problem

On an note, tried leaving Always off set and running Dyna Blaster... I had NTSC ticked through WinUAE and tried Default, (50Hz) PAL, 60Hz NTSC, (100Hz) PAL or (120Hz) NTSC. Sound issues still present
Yes, very strange. btw: Dynablaster don't need a NTSC Chipset, only a 60 Hz NSTC monitor refreshrate without vsync. I don't know why its not working for you.
Old 10 June 2006, 20:00   #39
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Driver version? You can use http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/ to install regular new drivers if your laptop manufacturer only have old mobility drivers available.

Weird bug anyway because WinUAE only enables Vsync when VSync-checkbox is enabled. Setting in ATI control panel will be ignored except if you force-enable it. (which is not a good idea..)
Old 10 June 2006, 20:48   #40
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
Driver version? You can use http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/ to install regular new drivers if your laptop manufacturer only have old mobility drivers available.
Thank you for that Toni.

Here's a screen capture of the drivers I'm using http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8712/ati75000lb.jpg

I downloaded them probably about 6 months ago from the IBM website. They don't release new versions very often

I'll check for later ones now on the IBM website and also Driver Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
Weird bug anyway because WinUAE only enables Vsync when VSync-checkbox is enabled. Setting in ATI control panel will be ignored except if you force-enable it. (which is not a good idea..)
Yes, very strange considering it was set to "Application Preference" and Vsync is most definitely not ticked in WinUAE