English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 29 December 2013, 10:50   #1
palaste

Utopia: The New Worlds on WHDLoad crashes [SOLVED]

I have been playing Utopia and its datadisk The New Worlds on WHDLoad already since my real Amiga still worked, and am continuing playing under FS-UAE.

I have noticed that while normal Utopia works fine, The New Worlds doesn't. Every time I try to load a saved game from the WHDLoad disk image, I get a WHDLoad crash report saying:

Exception "Access Fault" ($7008)
PC = $FFFF6924
Instruction stream fault on $FFFF6924

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Old 29 December 2013, 16:37   #2
palaste

I think I have solved this myself. There was something wrong with Disk.3, the disk image file for saved games. I reformatted the whole disk image from within the game (were I still playing from floppy disks, this would have reformatted the disk itself, but as I'm playing on WHDLoad, itself on FS-UAE, it only reformatted one file), and the problem disappeared. I can now use The New Worlds as well as the original game.
I also found out that my clever AmigaDOS script to switch between the two versions of the game had been broken for its whole existence, nearly a decade. It copied the disk images from the version I wanted to play all fine, but forgot to backup the previous versions beforehand. As a result, every time I switched the games, all my saved games were reverted to the versions they were in the late 1990s. Ouch! Luckily that's now fixed.