English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 April 2013, 15:57   #1
manic23
Only Amiga!

Going back in time...

I often think to myself how awesome it would be if you could somehow go back in time to show a past you or past mate a modern gadget and see their reaction.

If you could do that, but could only show one person one Amiga thing and one non Amiga thing what would they be?

For Amiga I think I would love to show a 1990's me, WHDLoad, I would have LOVED that back in the day.

For non Amiga, I would show myself my gaming PC
Old 24 April 2013, 16:15   #2
Kitty

Too risky haven't you seen Back to the Future II?
Old 24 April 2013, 16:50   #3
manic23
Only Amiga!

lol, dam yer good point! good job my Flux Capacitor is our of action at the moment
Old 24 April 2013, 17:17   #4
DH
Global Moderator

Can't believe no one has mentioned this:-

Firstly I would go back to 1990 with a Winning Lottery ticket to give to myself whilst wearing a mask of M. J. Fox, a one where I will be the only winner

Secondly I would also take back an Amiga mag that states the Amiga is dead, give it to myself while still wearing a mask of Michael J Fox, and telling myself to buy all the Amiga's I could possibly buy using the lottery winnings, keep them sealed in their original boxes in an air tight storage place for the next 20 years, join a place called EAB in 2008 on the internet and give them all for free to all the chums you'll make.

Then live the rest of my life on the remaining winnings
Old 24 April 2013, 18:28   #5
manic23
Only Amiga!

Superb plan DH, I think you have nailed it
Old 24 April 2013, 18:49   #6
mikey2002kent

except how would you be able to buy a winning lottery ticket? lol you would have to go back in time 1 day once you know the numbers to buy the ticket, then back again to the 90's

god time travel is confusing :s

make sure you do it for a euromillions thou, not worth it for a couple of million, might as well have 70-80 million and do it properely
Old 24 April 2013, 18:56   #7
DH
Global Moderator

*cough*

I have all the winning numbers in a spreadsheet since time began So basically I'd pick one that wins just after I time traveled to the 90's, write the winning numbers down, and hand them over with the date of the winning numbers

Also, the euro Millions weren't around then either, but I could choose a rollover*3 which should suffice

See Simples
Old 24 April 2013, 23:43   #8
Zak
Zap´em

What a coincidence. Recently I heard someone saying, it would be possible to contact your brain of the past or future in very deep meditation and you could eventually slip into it and then actually be there. You couldn´t take something with you then, of course. I then kept thinking about it.

Forget about lottery. Chaos theory (remember that Jurassic Park scene). If you drip a drop of water on your back of the hand, it will take different ways on it every time you try. You could travel back ten times and witness the same lottery day ten times with ten different results.

Also, things could develop differently and maybe Commodore Amiga could go down without being any success at all. You could risk almost every achievement you took for granted, even in your own life.

On the other hand, if you learn decent plans, Amiga could have an flat touchscreen and other technology exclusively in the 80´s. But, frankly said, I am as much of an engineer as cotton balls are dangerous.
Old 25 April 2013, 00:00   #9
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I often think these type things.I think after the shock of seeing vastly superior looking games, the reality of how the majority of games aren't really all that more advanced certainly in comparison to their visuals, you'd soon be depressed of what the future was
Old 25 April 2013, 00:05   #10
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
...Forget about lottery. Chaos theory (remember that Jurassic Park scene). If you drip a drop of water on your back of the hand, it will take different ways on it every time you try. You could travel back ten times and witness the same lottery day ten times with ten different results....
on a window the drip would randomly make its way down, but, if you create a scratch that it will follow, you're quids in, so applying that to time travel, rules out chaos theory and you win

Besides, thankfully it's a lighthearted look at what people would do if they could, rather than what they will do when they can.
Old 25 April 2013, 00:22   #11
manic23
Only Amiga!

Mmm, not quite the way I saw this thread panning out, funny how topics morph sometimes lol
Old 25 April 2013, 00:24   #12
Zak
Zap´em

Edit: O.K. manic23 sorry. How about taking a fully equipped A2000 back to 1987, with Picasso 4, Blizzard 2060 maybe, harddisk and lots of software? You would be the king of the hood, but in an unsuspicious way. Plus a video player and film collection as non-Amiga item.

Last edited by Zak; 25 April 2013 at 00:49.
Old 25 April 2013, 02:25   #13
Lord Riton

Amiga thing: I would go back to 1914, showing the young Hitler my Amiga 1200, and telling him a Jewish person made it ! And then i would give him the Amiga, so he could play with it instead of going to the army and fighting in the 14-18 war..

Non Amiga thing: I would go back to When Jesus was a kid, showing him my old Pc with Winblows 98, and asking him to make Bill Gates a florist instead of a computer programmer ... Yeah, we need more flowers !
Old 25 April 2013, 07:22   #14
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic23 View Post
I often think to myself how awesome it would be if you could somehow go back in time to show a past you or past mate a modern gadget and see their reaction.

If you could do that, but could only show one person one Amiga thing and one non Amiga thing what would they be?

For Amiga I think I would love to show a 1990's me, WHDLoad, I would have LOVED that back in the day.

For non Amiga, I would show myself my gaming PC
Or even better yet, go back and show the Wright Brothers an A380.
Old 25 April 2013, 07:54   #15
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
Amiga thing: I would go back to 1914, showing the young Hitler my Amiga 1200, and telling him a Jewish person made it !
Ha ha, awesome!

Just image "Lionheart", "Turrican 3" or the likes would have been presented at the Amiga launch party back in 1985...