English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 June 2006, 12:00   #1
komunita

Joypad in Winuae

I have been using Winuae 1.2(32 bit) for some time now and have started playing all my old favourite games in adf format.

I have been having some problems with joypads. How accurate is the emulation under Winuae. Is there a special set up to do it ? I have tried swapping ports etc but results, to say the least have been erratic.

Could someone please explain how to configure the set up in the ports section of mouse/keyboard/joystick/joypad please.

Thanks.
Old 08 June 2006, 22:19   #2
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Which make/model Joypad you using komunita? Does the Joypad work correctly with PC games? If not, ensure you've installed the proper Joypad drivers and obviously ensure the Joypad is connected to USB before starting WinUAE.

Most Joypads are Plug n Play and WinUAE is accurate is this respect. However, there are always bound to be a couple out there that might cause problems but can be overcome.

Anyhow, as I don't know what Joypad you are using, first try this:

Check that WinUAE Properties>Input Tab; Printer, Serial and Midi are set as None.
Port 0 should be Mouse*, but also try Port 0: <none> providing the game you are playing does not require mouse input.
Port 1: should already give a description of your Joypad make/model if the above (Joypads P n P) is ok.
Start your game.

If you've done the above to no avail already, then you may need to "map" your Joypad accordingly using WinUAE Configurations>Input Tab. As I don't know what Joypad you have, try this thread that will give you an idea of how to map Joypads. This one might help too.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 09 June 2006, 11:45   #3
komunita

Thank you for your reply. Excuse me for not thanking you sooner but I have been tied up in the office.

Tomorrow Saturday I will try what you have suggested. Actually i have just been given the two joypads couple of days ago. Have to check the brand name.

Will tell you how I have fared.

Thanks once again.
Old 09 June 2006, 14:01   #4
microslave
Amiga 1000 [1986]

BTW, I recently bought a CD called "AmigaClassix Gold" containing a collection of amiga games bundled with an older version of WinUAE.
The CD inlay contained an ad of a new usb version of the competition pro joystick, which is sold e.g. via Amazon:
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...439419-2789007
Unfortunately most of the comments I found about this joystick were, that there are problems with the manufacturing quality and some reported problems due to slow reaction times.
Did any of you buy this stick and made good or bad experiences? Generally I like the idea of a revival of my old Amiga games with a new version of my favourite joystick (also I liked the Quickshot Pro nearly as much.)
As an alternative, who knows where I could get an usb adapter for my old Amiga joysticks that are still waiting to be reused again.
Old 09 June 2006, 15:15   #5
microslave
Amiga 1000 [1986]

Thanks for this interesting link, I remember having at least some of those
After starting with my old Atari 2600 stick on my shiny new A1000 I soon got a competion pro and a QuickShot II Turbo.
On some german Amiga convention in Cologne back in the 80s I even bought special stick consisting only of a transparent tube with 4 metal contacts on the top plate and 2 metal buttons for fire/autofire. Making use of the human body's resistance, you had to put one finger on a small contact near the bottom of the tube and could play by touching the steering contacts with the same or the other hand. I remember I was rather fascinated, although you had to get used to this somehow weird gaming experience.
And since there were no moving parts, this stick is still functional today
Old 09 June 2006, 15:16   #6
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
Originally Posted by komunita
Thank you for your reply. Excuse me for not thanking you sooner but I have been tied up in the office.

Tomorrow Saturday I will try what you have suggested. Actually i have just been given the two joypads couple of days ago. Have to check the brand name.

Will tell you how I have fared.

Thanks once again.
Look forward to hearing how you get on

Quote:
Originally Posted by microslave
BTW, I recently bought a CD called "AmigaClassix Gold" containing a collection of amiga games bundled with an older version of WinUAE.
The CD inlay contained an ad of a new usb version of the competition pro joystick, which is sold e.g. via Amazon:
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...439419-2789007
Unfortunately most of the comments I found about this joystick were, that there are problems with the manufacturing quality and some reported problems due to slow reaction times.
Did any of you buy this stick and made good or bad experiences? Generally I like the idea of a revival of my old Amiga games with a new version of my favourite joystick (also I liked the Quickshot Pro nearly as much.)
As an alternative, who knows where I could get an usb adapter for my old Amiga joysticks that are still waiting to be reused again..
Years ago, I've always used the Competition Pro Joysticks, and boy, did I get through a lot of them. Memories of blisters are all but not-quite-forgotten!

Being a PS2 fan since the day PS1 came out, I've got used to the controller, so opted for the Logitech Dual Action Joypad which is identical to PS Controllers. As its Plug n Play I had no need to download Drivers as it works extremely well with PC games and especially WinUAE. btw, Playstation/X-Box controllers can be used with WinUAE too (with USB adaptor).

Take a look at this... all those Joysticks from the Amiga days

Since you can get PC versions of the Competition Pro Joysticks, I'd personally would say get one of them if you want that true reto experience.

As for Amiga Joystick USB adaptors, there is a picture of one in the link above.... as to where to get them though I couldn't tell you. Anyone else know?
Old 09 June 2006, 15:20   #7
DamienD
Banned

quahappy, hmmm you've virtually repeated yourself in 2 posts (besides smilies)

Did you mean to do that?
Old 09 June 2006, 15:23   #8
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
quahappy, hmmm you've virtually repeated yourself in 2 posts (besides smilies)

Did you mean to do that?

Deleted! (got distracted)...

....and apologies for any confusion with posts microslave
Old 09 June 2006, 15:52   #9
microslave
Amiga 1000 [1986]

...confused...
sorry if my additional competition pro question was somewhat off-topic here?!
Anyway, I think I'll order one of those USB Competition Pros and will test them myself. Of course I'll have to live from bread and water some weeks after spending the 15 € but that'll be worth it!
I'll report back with my personal experiences, if others consider buying one too.
Old 09 June 2006, 16:00   #10
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

rofl!!

Getting too many distractions at the mo... i DO apologies!

Grrrr.... I was talking about my own preferred Joysticks I used from years ago....

and this line....

"Since you can get PC versions of the Competition Pro Joysticks, I'd personally would say get one of them if you want that true reto experience"

is suppose to read:

Since you can get PC versions of the Quickshot Joysticks, I'd personally would say get one of them if you want that true reto experience

I'll come back when my brain is firing on all cylinders LOL
Old 09 June 2006, 16:32   #11
microslave
Amiga 1000 [1986]

Never mind
I just ordered one of the blue edition competition pro, let's see...
I wasn't aware that you also get USB versions of the Quickshot (II Turbo?)
This could be the next one on my shopping list
Old 09 June 2006, 16:41   #12
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

I wouldn't mind an X-Arcade (see pic within WinUAE>X-Arcade layout information) not only for Amiga emulating but those MAME arcade games too
Old 09 June 2006, 17:08   #13
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy
I wouldn't mind an X-Arcade (see pic within WinUAE>X-Arcade layout information) not only for Amiga emulating but those MAME arcade games too
He, he, he...

You can also use a HotRodSE, same button config as an X-Arcade http://www.hanaho.com/Products/HotRodJoystick.php. This is what I have at home, well recommended

Hmmm, with the new Competition Pro joysticks I remember reading a thread saying that there is a problem with the microswitches and lag time. I believe Retro-Nerd said he replaced these with ones from his old Amiga Competition Pro and now it's perfect... Retro-Nerd, can you comment on this?
Old 09 June 2006, 17:14   #14
microslave
Amiga 1000 [1986]

Looks like the perfect tool for emu games. Well enough buying tips for today
Old 09 June 2006, 17:19   #15
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by microslave
Looks like the perfect tool for emu games. Well enough buying tips for today
It sure is, I've had the HotRodSE for about 5 years now. It's taken many a bashing through MAME32 and still works like new

Basically the HotRodSE is the original arcade joystick. The X-Arcade came out later.

The HotRodSE is supposed to be made of better quality components whereas a few years ago there used to be some issues with the X-Arcade in terms of a "very" slight response time. It's probably been fixed now though.

The one advantage the X-Arcade has over the HotRodSE is that you can get adapters to plug it into your consoles. HotRodSE is only for PC...
Old 09 June 2006, 20:11   #16
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
He, he, he...

You can also use a HotRodSE, same button config as an X-Arcade http://www.hanaho.com/Products/HotRodJoystick.php. This is what I have at home, well recommended

Hmmm, with the new Competition Pro joysticks I remember reading a thread saying that there is a problem with the microswitches and lag time. I believe Retro-Nerd said he replaced these with ones from his old Amiga Competition Pro and now it's perfect... Retro-Nerd, can you comment on this?
Just looked at the HotRodSE link DamienD.... Now that looks the bol.... sorry - biz

Just a real shame my PC is in a computer hideaway unit because of the kids messing with all my setup (in the living room)...... absolutely no space for it

One day....