English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 17 May 2006, 21:49   #1
Widriksen

Boing bags

Wow.....I'm TOTALLY lost now.

I've been on the PC too long, and i'm getting pretty frustrated now.
All i want to do is to install the so called "boing bag 2". I've downloaded it, unpacked it, made it available for the "AMIKIT". I can even open the folder, and browse it......But how the h*** do i install this update?

I've tried the C folder and double klicking the installer. It just wants some more information?!?!? The read me's are anything but helpfull.

HELP!!!!

A side note.....If this is what the AMIGA came to after i switched over to the PC, then no wonder it died. Not enough user friendlyness, and to much inside nerding to operate it. Love or hate MS Windows.....it IS much more user friendly.
Old 17 May 2006, 21:51   #2
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Most of the time it's the user not OS who is at fault.
Old 17 May 2006, 22:05   #3
Widriksen

Very helpfull answer.....Jeez.
Old 17 May 2006, 22:32   #4
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widriksen
But how the h*** do i install this update?
Try to find an icon that reads "install Boing Bag" or similar and has the big red ball as icon image (don't recall it's too long now when i installed it meself ). Or should you install BoingBag 1 first and then the second? Btw. you *MUST* have OS 3.5 or 3.9 installed in order to install any boingbags.
Quote:
A side note.....If this is what the AMIGA came to after i switched over to the PC, then no wonder it died. Not enough user friendlyness, and to much inside nerding to operate it. Love or hate MS Windows.....it IS much more user friendly.
Surely you must be kidding , the Amiga OS is more user friendly once you get re-acquinted with it. It doesn't do any extra you don't want it to do like Windows. And take this from a long time Amiga & PC user
Old 17 May 2006, 23:23   #5
thomas

@Bamiga2002:

It's definitely not AmigaOS who is to blame for your problems, but rather AmiKit which is so blown up with features that the underlying AmigaOS is almost invisible. Or you just did something wrong when unpacking the archives.

After unpacking the archives a there should be a folder and when opening the folder some icons should appear one of them labelled "Installation". Just double click the latter and follow the instructions. The drawers should look like in the attached hardcopies. If they look different for you, there is a problem either caused by AmiKit or by the unpacking process you used.

Generally you should transfer the archives to the Amiga and use Amiga utilities to unpack them. In this case you should use UnArc which is part of AmigaOS 3.9 and quite easy to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bb1.png
Views:	230
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	11070   Click image for larger version

Name:	bb2.png
Views:	215
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	11071  
Old 18 May 2006, 00:05   #6
z00mba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002
Surely you must be kidding , the Amiga OS is more user friendly once you get re-acquinted with it. It doesn't do any extra you don't want it to do like Windows. And take this from a long time Amiga & PC user
Well that was very true 6 years ago but let's face it WindowsXP today is really more 'user friendly' than AmigaOS 3.9. Of course it's heavy, bloated, and have all those crappy services running in the backgroung, etc but from a user point of view XP is now more attractive than the Workbench with a better drag and drop, icon, files handling, etc support.

While on AmigaOS you still have to spend your time snapshot icons and windows positions, change display to show some damn files, jungle with dozens of different icons system more or less (well less) compatible with each other. Should I mention the completly outdated drag and drop support, inexistant support for nowadays mices and a lot more (well less... again).

I'm talking about the OS 'out-of-the-box' of course, but really who have the time to install thousand of crappy patchs to make AmigaOS a bit up-to-update (but still far away from anything like XP or OS X or KDE)? And I will not talk about the bloated system resulting by installing all those patchs.

I'm sorry if it sounds crude but that's the actual facts. I still like AmigaOS a lot (and I own version 3.9) but more for nostalgia reasons than anything else; still I can find it a lot of nice points but most of them can't stand the comp with their equivalent in other modern OSes.

And yeah for most of them those features were avaibles on AmigaOS before... but...
Old 18 May 2006, 00:37   #7
Widriksen

Thanks for the answers! I'll give it a try.

Oh and by the way. Don't get me wrong. I still love my AMIGA's and the OS, but i've been away too long, for me to find the AMIGA OS 3.9 (I ended at OS 1.3!!) intuitive.
Old 18 May 2006, 00:55   #8
Widriksen

Worked like a charm.

I found the error. The window opened viewed as tekst, and not icons... (Noob mistake!! DOH!)

Any ways....I got the problem solved. Thanks a bunch!
Old 18 May 2006, 01:10   #9
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00mba
...from a user point of view XP is now more attractive than the Workbench with a better drag and drop, icon, files handling, etc support.
Point taken.

Quote:
I'm talking about the OS 'out-of-the-box' of course, but really who have the time to install thousand of crappy patchs to make AmigaOS a bit up-to-update...
I had and liked it most of the time.

You had good opinions there, but i just can't help liking AmigaOS for being what it is after a bit of fiddlin' & patchin'. And it lacks many modern features for sure, which most of i don't even need in my miggy. But hey, let's not forget OS4 is coming "when it's done"
Old 18 May 2006, 01:59   #10
z00mba

Quote:
I had and liked it most of the time.
Oh me too belive me... :P
I even pixeled my own collection of icons in my Amiga days and made a few 'custom' Workbench, and yeah I had a lot of fun. But not anymore, not that I don't like AmigaOs now, but after all the time that passed and all those patch and and addons that was were made for the Workbench I find it so sad to have all this mess now. I wished all of these lines of codes had produces a mature, stable, lightweight, handy and very easy to use system (what it was before).

For example I really liked Scalos. Some nice ideas and the GUI was on a good way but after the developpement stopped the new team in charge made a total crap with it. Now it's slow, bloated, buggy... so what is the choice? An old outated version with a good potential but unfinished or a new version with some new good ideas but totally unusable. Scalos is just one example randomly picked but there is plenty of similar ones.

I also tried some pre configured systems for WinUAE like AIBB or AmiKit and while they have some potential I really hate the way they are build over all those patchs... and why the heck do they all try to look like Windows?!?

When I was a full time Amiga user I didn't liked Windows for most of the reasons I don't like 'moderns' custom Workbench.

Well at the moment I stick with AmigaOS 3.9 (almost) naked (huhu) but there is a lot of things that *must* be improved there. OS4 will certainly be cool but I'm an Amiga classic and WinUAE user so I guess I'm screwed.

Morphos seams nice too from what I've seen/heard from it. I wish I could at least gave it a try once but I don't have the hardware and I never was able to run it under PearPC. Too bad it seem to be (another) dead project now.

Don't you peoples find it sad to see all these potential not evolving on the right track because every developers works on their own little thing in their corner instead of trying to push all their effort on the same way? Maybe it's just me...
Old 18 May 2006, 10:51   #11
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Well that was very true 6 years ago but let's face it WindowsXP today is really more 'user friendly' than AmigaOS 3.9. Of course it's heavy, bloated, and have all those crappy services running in the background
Thats XP for ya......

Quote:
I'm talking about the OS 'out-of-the-box' of course, but really who have the time to install thousand of crappy patchs to make AmigaOS a bit up-to-update (but still far away from anything like XP or OS X or KDE)? And I will not talk about the bloated system resulting by installing all those patchs.
XP has DAILY patch releases, its worse than a sieve.

Quote:
I'm sorry if it sounds crude but that's the actual facts.
And yeah for most of them those features were avaibles on AmigaOS before... but...
The fact, that XP can be infected within 10 seconds of being connected to the internet (unpatched) doesnt scare you ?
Old 18 May 2006, 13:02   #12
z00mba

I never said XP is great or perfect (nor anything near). I was just talking about the GUI aspect for end user and how on AmigaOS you can spend time doing nothing (like fixing icons, snapshoting windows position, making shortcuts, editing them, etc... I mean all those silly task nobody want to lose time with). For that XP, OSX, and a few *nix desktops are better than AmigaOS.

That said it doesn't change the fact that XP is a bloated OS built on an outrageaous amount of patches and spaghetti code. It's slow and eats huge amount or ressources, etc, etc. Windows is (and has always) hidding its numerous flaws behind the hardware ressources avaibles on the PC market and it's not ready to change (it's even getting a lot worse with Vista).

Now if I want AmigaOS to be (just a bit) uptodate by using the same crappy patch madness from Windows' world: the answer is NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb
The fact, that XP can be infected within 10 seconds of being connected to the internet (unpatched) doesnt scare you ?
Last time I had a virii was +10 years ago and it was on Amiga. :P

No I'm not scared when I switch-on my computer for my everyday job, if it was the case I think I'd go for another job, maybe farmer or something like that or consult a psy.
Old 18 May 2006, 17:49   #13
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Personally....... I don't give a crap what the GUI looks like, to me, XP has an incredibly ugly GUI which takes FAR too much resources away from programs that actually need them (PhotoShop, 3D-programs and the like, I'm sure they'ld be at least 25% faster with a "cleanshaven" GUI ).

Sadly enough, I'm still an acc. short of using my Amiga instead of the Wintel all the time. 3.9 requires 6MB, remember?

And.... only thing I miss when using the real amiga, is the scrollwheel on the mouse...... minor inconveniece, though.

Well, my viewpoint still is, the LESS "fetures" of a gui, the MORE power to the programs that needs it. And IME, it also crashes much less, though that might just be my strange usage of WinSlows
Old 18 May 2006, 18:29   #14
z00mba

I was of course *NOT* refering to the *VISUAL* aspect of the GUI...*

Easy to get if you had actually read my comment before posting your reply
Old 19 May 2006, 10:21   #15
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Quote:
I was just talking about the GUI aspect
which is what I responded to
Old 19 May 2006, 12:02   #16
z00mba

Yeah sure, take 3 x 1/3 of my sentence and you get 3 new ones with different meaning... Still I wasn't talking about the *visual* aspect but about the efficency and handling, I used the term 'GUI' in a more general sense just to avoid repeating exactly the same term. Maybe I should have used 'desktop', 'Workbench', 'interface', whatever. Sure it may have sound not clear enough (but english is not my native language you know).

If you talk about the visual aspect, I too agree XP, by default, have a very weird style but that's just cosmetic, nothing to worry about I guess. Personnaly I removed any style to use the classic NT theme.

By the way you say the GUI take up too much ressources and makes programs run slower. Sure it takes some ressources for nothing (it's Microsoft after all) but not up to 25% like you said, for example Photoshop and LightWave (I use both on a everyday basis for my job) are running faster on XP than on 2k on the same configuration.
Old 27 May 2006, 17:30   #17
glwxxx

Quote:
Wow.....I'm TOTALLY lost now.
To get fast help with AmiKit, why not post to its forum directly??? In addition, there are video tutorials showing how to unpack archives

Old 27 May 2006, 17:45   #18
glwxxx

Quote:
I also tried some pre configured systems for WinUAE like AIBB or AmiKit and while they have some potential I really hate the way they are build over all those patchs...
What's bad on patches that help you to make your system more stable?
Are those patches irreversible or what? Everyone can disable them if she/he doesn't like them. It's still better and more comfortable compared to situation if you're forced to instal everything from the scratch.

Quote:
and why the heck do they all try to look like Windows?!?
And how should they look like? Like the desktop of Amiga 1000? Or the calculator from 1976? I believe the only thing you mean is the taskbar. Again, just disable it, put it out of the WBStartup, is that so difficult?

Generally, if "taskbar" solution has proven to be usefull when working with OS, it really doesn't matter where does it came from! Nobody complains Windows use "icon" system even it wasn't developed by M$. If Ferrari developed a wheel, would you complain why every other car tries to look like Ferrari? Why the heck they use wheels? It's Ferrari style, booooo

Old 28 May 2006, 00:26   #19
z00mba

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwxxx
What's bad on patches that help you to make your system more stable?
More often the patches avaibles for the Workbench doesn't make it more stable at all, it's more the other way (MagicMenu, NewIcons, VisualPrefs, etc), they also can use a lot of ressources for nothing really vital. I'm not saying that these patches are a bad thing but that with the age of the Workbench and all that written all those programs we could have a more robust and 'out-of-the-box' solution by now. If only peoples would works together and not everyone in his own little corner.

Today there is too much icons handler solutions, too much tool managers, too much GUI libraries, etc. Of course having choice is a good thing but too much choice for OS basics functions like icons, icon info, menu, GUI... just ruins it.

OS 3.9 (the version I use) is still not a solution since it's also based on patchs and not core enhancements (not always).

As for the the patches that makes the system more stable, there's probably a few but they are far from being the majority.

Quote:
Are those patches irreversible or what? Everyone can disable them if she/he doesn't like them. It's still better and more comfortable compared to situation if you're forced to instal everything from the scratch.
Why having to disable or uninstall patches and programs would be a better solution than having to install the needed ones?

And think about the case of some new comer who want to try the WB and install one of these pack... they get a look 'n feel that's just try to copy XP but it's less effective and powerfull. what's the point? Better offer them a real 'Amiga' experience and let them find what's good and what's bad about it. Now these kind of peoples will just install AIBB or Amikit and click 'Start' to run some pre-installed tools and games and finally they won't go any further and the only experience they will get will be very much like Windows, nothing else.

Quote:
And how should they look like? Like the desktop of Amiga 1000? Or the calculator from 1976? I believe the only thing you mean is the taskbar. Again, just disable it, put it out of the WBStartup, is that so difficult?
Like an Amiga yes. Every OS or desktop have it's own style and ideas I don't see why the WB should be different. You may think WindowsXP is top notch and TaskBar is the greatest invention of all time to launch application... you may also use WindowsXP, but it's all about the Amiga's WB here.

Quote:
Generally, if "taskbar" solution has proven to be usefull when working with OS, it really doesn't matter where does it came from! Nobody complains Windows use "icon" system even it wasn't developed by M$. If Ferrari developed a wheel, would you complain why every other car tries to look like Ferrari? Why the heck they use wheels? It's Ferrari style, booooo
Maybe that kind of argument works when you discuss computer stuffs with your plumber or your local bucher. :P
Old 28 May 2006, 23:03   #20
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Quote:
You may think WindowsXP is top notch and TaskBar is the greatest invention of all time to launch application...
ToolsDaemon is THE greatest tool to launch apps, WangiPad is TEH tool to launch games

No extra icons and such, just plain text with nice MagicMenu-look in TD and off you go. I like the borderless-style in Wangipad.