English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 April 2005, 20:26   #1
Boot_WB
Novice in the Black Arts

603e+ weird bootup issue

Hi, just got a 603e+ (160MHz, overclocked to 210). Booting from an IDE hdd into OS3.9 with warpOS/bppcfix.
Anyhoo, the issue is this: on first boot the amiga freezes - does not even reach early boot startup menu (both mouse buttons), or allow access to PPC config menu (Esc).
I then give it the 3-fingered salute and everything boots ok - usually. Sometimes the background (and the icon text background) are a dark olive colour.

Thought it may be a firmware issue so have just installed 2001 040 firmware, but still have the same problems.
Never had any problems like this on my BPPC 603e/040/ with no SCSI - so is it a conflict between trying to boot from SCSI bus??
Or is it an overclocking issue?
Can't see it being a flashrom issue as it boots fine after a 3-fingered salute. PPC seems to be ok as I can still run DoomWOS.

Hardware profile:
A1200 Rev 2b mo'bo in customised server tower. Blizzard 603e+; 4x buffered IDE adapter; Mediator 1200 PCI busboard.
(((BPPC has no scsi cable, with 1 x HP 128mb 60ns parity SIMM)))
(((IDE bus has 8 gig IBM primary master, 4x4 NEC cd changer secondary master)))
(((mediator has fast ethernet and soundblaster 128 - awaiting voodoo 3))))

Suggestions please....

Jameson
Old 27 April 2005, 09:31   #2
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Have you had the timing fix done to your mobo? http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am..._mobo_fix.html

Have you disabled any SCSI things in the ppc bootmenu? Have you tried with memory installed on both banks?
Old 27 April 2005, 13:02   #3
keropi

I think I have read on .org that the bppc is now fried.... too bad... I wish u can fix it easily (cmdr_jameson)
Old 27 April 2005, 13:09   #4
Boot_WB
Novice in the Black Arts

It seems it was a power issue - blizzard not booting on a cold boot, but ok once power established (ie through a soft boot) a fix for this is to run a (+5V & ground) cable to the fan header on the PPC board, and power the PPC fan seperately (ie from the PSU).
BEWARE however - do NOT run a 12V lead into the BPPC as this will fry a resistor on your BPPC making it unbootable.
Made this mistake last night, fried the component and had bad dreams all night. (Trying to find out the rating of the resistor to try a fix, but it may be goodnight Vienna for my BPPC)

Any fan leads running from your PSU will tend to be 12V - DO NOT USE THEM. Instead run a lead from black and red cables on one of your power connectors (fdd, hdd, etc), connecting the red lead to the header pin nearest to the heatsink, and the black to the other one.

Expensive way to learn.............. :-( Hope it saves someone else making the same mistake.

PS I will NOT be selling this as UNTESTED on ebay like some scumbags tend to do - as noted in the original msg this was a 603e+, I do have another PPC which I will be selling in the next 2 weeks, but it is a true, non-overclocked 200MHZ (603e, with no SCSI), so don't go flaming me over it as it is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PPC board, never overclocked, and working perfectly at the moment with 256mb in it.
Old 27 April 2005, 13:15   #5
Boot_WB
Novice in the Black Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
I think I have read on .org that the bppc is now fried.... too bad... I wish u can fix it easily (cmdr_jameson)
Thanks keropi - feel like an ass, glad to have some commiseration rather than condemnation. Have some well earned karma points.
Old 27 April 2005, 15:45   #6
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by (cmdr_jameson)
It seems it was a power issue - blizzard not booting on a cold boot, but ok once power established (ie through a soft boot) a fix for this is to run a (+5V & ground) cable to the fan header on the PPC board, and power the PPC fan seperately (ie from the PSU).
Damn, i assumed you had the power thingy already done...yes it is a must if one wants to use bppc. And if the floppy drive is not needed, you can connect it's power cable to the motherboard to provide extra power.

Tricky business with these ppc's........