English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 June 2020, 14:16   #1
Olaf Barthel

NDK archaeology: Looking for Amiga OS 1.0/1.1/1.2 development files

As you may dread/suspect/expect, work is underway to get a new native development kit (NDK) into shape for AmigaOS 3.2. Previous versions were available through the "Amiga Developer CD 2.1", for example (now somewhat out of print), and we are trying hard to do better.

Part of the task is figuring out what was not released before and might be relevant, such as for historic reasons. To my own shame I realized this year that I had forgotten to include the ROM kernel companion code (for the second and third editions of the ROM kernel companion manuals) on the "Amiga Developer CD 2.1". This needs to be rectified, for example.

Casting the net a bit wider this time, the developer material which preceded the release of the NDK 1.3 is of great interest. Prior to its release, the 1.0/1.1/1.2 developer material was available in some form for the early Amiga software developers, such as the good folks at Electronic Arts, Activision and of course the makers of the Lattice and Aztec 'C' compilers.

Sorry to say, I came too late to the Amiga (in 1987/1988) to benefit from having access to the older Lattice and Aztec 'C' compilers which would have included the historic header files, etc.

I am trying to compile the header files, linker files, documentation for these old non-native development kits, but I came up short very quickly. If you have relevant material to share, please contact me directly or point me towards those places and sources which might hold them.
Old 04 June 2020, 01:07   #2
kamelito
Zone Friend

Why not also include the devcon material?
It reminds me of this archeology https://www.pagetable.com/?p=34

Last edited by kamelito; 04 June 2020 at 01:18.
Old 04 June 2020, 03:15   #3
coldacid

Yeah, if we're going to get Amiga Developer CD 3.0 it should totally include all the devcon material available.
Old 07 June 2020, 11:19   #4
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Why not also include the devcon material?
It reminds me of this archeology https://www.pagetable.com/?p=34
I have collected some of the old DevCon material (PDF pages) which popped up over the years and which is not found on the Amiga Developer CD 2.1. So this could go into the collection.

There is great material on the pagetable.com site, and also in the comments posted on the articles. Still, the data recovered from the Amiga disks is sadly fragmentary and incomplete...
Old 07 June 2020, 11:20   #5
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
Yeah, if we're going to get Amiga Developer CD 3.0 it should totally include all the devcon material available.
We'll have to see what is possible, given that copyright may still exist on material such as the DevCon audio recordings available on archive.org, for example. I have added this to my own collection in the hope that it will be useful.
Old 07 June 2020, 11:29   #6
Olaf Barthel

Quick update on how the collection of historic developer material has progressed so far: multiple copies of archived assembly language and 'C' header files were kindly provided to me for the 1.0/1.1/1.2 operating systems.

I now have at least two copies of the 1.1 and 1.2 files, respectively, and can compare them. Turns out that in these copies the header file comments were removed, possibly for disk space reasons. Judging by the file modification times recorded, these files were edited in 1985/1986/1987.

It's possible that the files were released only in this form to developers, with the printed first and second edition RKMs being the at the time definitive reference for the contents of the files.

Still, I keep looking for more historic developer material. Should more "verbose" file contents remain elusive, copying the header files from the available OCR-ed RKMs might be the only option left. We'll see...
Old 07 June 2020, 15:09   #7
kamelito
Zone Friend

AFAIK the pdf devcon materials are from 88/89/90/91 and 93 nothing prior to that has been found if it exists. There's also some adf devcon around here maybe they do have includes.

You can maybe also do a diff between Lattice 3 and 4 includes to retrieves the comments from Lattice 3 ?
There's also compressed includes in Lattice 3 but I don't know how to uncompress them and if they include the comments.
Old 08 June 2020, 01:23   #8
Matt_H

Other possible leads to investigate--if not for the materials themselves, then for hints on where they were distributed:
Ancient Usenet
Early Fish disks
Early issues of Amiga World / Amazing Computing

The goldmine would be a backup of BIX. Sigh. </wishful thinking>
Old 08 June 2020, 21:21   #9
kamelito
Zone Friend

BIX would be awesome I think I’ll ask Andy Finlel.