English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 31 May 2020, 20:10   #1
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Liberation Captive II sneaky copy protection?

This is probably just down to faulty disks, but does anyone recall if there was something weird about the Liberation Captive II floppies? I've tried installing the game with JFF's beta patch, using 2 sets of originals and both reported read errors. I ended up switching from disk to disk and manually copying the files with DOpus, but the displayed file sizes are weird, the numbers start with a that rectangular character, a bit like a "0".

That kind of rings a bell, to when I had the game in the nineties, but I maybe confused. Anybody have any clearer memories?
Old 31 May 2020, 21:17   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
This is probably just down to faulty disks, but does anyone recall if there was something weird about the Liberation Captive II floppies? I've tried installing the game with JFF's beta patch, using 2 sets of originals and both reported read errors. I ended up switching from disk to disk and manually copying the files with DOpus, but the displayed file sizes are weird, the numbers start with a that rectangular character, a bit like a "0".

That kind of rings a bell, to when I had the game in the nineties, but I maybe confused. Anybody have any clearer memories?
Whilst Mr.Crowther had fun with the protection on Knightmare and Captive, there is no on disk protection on Liberation II.
Old 31 May 2020, 21:37   #3
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Ah, okay, thanks. I need to get my eyes checked because I've just moticed, what I thought were file sizes in DOpus were actually file comments. 8-/

So, sounds like I've just been unlucky with the disks. I can work with that.
Old 31 May 2020, 21:42   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

IPF images can be downloaded from EAB server probably
Old 31 May 2020, 22:26   #5
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Thanks Jean-Francoise,

To be honest I have never understood how IPF images work. I thought you needed some special hardware to create/access them. :-/
Old 31 May 2020, 22:35   #6
DamienD
disengaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
To be honest I have never understood how IPF images work. I thought you needed some special hardware to create/access them. :-/
Via emulation you just need the plugin; then .IPFs will load like .ADFs
Old 31 May 2020, 22:36   #7
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Via emulation you just need the plugin; then .IPFs will load just like .ADFs
IPF files can also be used on a real Amiga, using RAWDic for instance will turn an IPF file of an AmigaDOS formatted game into plain ADF files.
Old 31 May 2020, 22:57   #8
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Ah, that's interesting info guys. Thanks. I'm more into my Amiga hardware, and if I was running Win UAE for something (which I use too) I'd be less obsessive about using original software/WHDLoad installs of that software, if that makes any kind of sense. :-)

{Roy Batty}
So, this RAWDic, difficult to use.......... I guess?
{/Roy Batty}
Old 31 May 2020, 23:53   #9
jotd
This cat is no more

rawdic only makes sense with dedicated rawdic slave that reads custom format

For Captive, just convert IPF to ADF (or create a .adf file by using DIC with a mounted IPF on an emulator) and write back your disks with that if you must.

Even on a real amiga this can be done. whdload tools can do it. Here's a script (ipf2adf) that includes everything that's needed.

ipf2adf.zip
Old 31 May 2020, 23:54   #10
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
IPF files can also be used on a real Amiga, using RAWDic for instance will turn an IPF file of an AmigaDOS formatted game into plain ADF files.

Wow! Can you explain more about this (or link to some documentation)? I'm stubbornly sticking to this version of diskimage.device, which does not support IPFs, instead of this version, which does but doesn't have a GUI. So being able to convert to ADF on a real Amiga would be enormously helpful!

EDIT: jotd, just saw your post after I wrote mine. Thank you very much for that script!
Old 01 June 2020, 02:19   #11
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
rawdic only makes sense with dedicated rawdic slave that reads custom format

For Captive, just convert IPF to ADF (or create a .adf file by using DIC with a mounted IPF on an emulator) and write back your disks with that if you must.

Even on a real amiga this can be done. whdload tools can do it. Here's a script (ipf2adf) that includes everything that's needed.

Attachment 67566
I only mentioned RAWDic as its the only software natively on the Amiga that I knew could access IPF files and output to ADF file without needing the IPF written to disk first.

Later versions of RAWDic have support for not just reading drives but reading directly from files.

I'm not aware that DIC can access IPF files directly.
Old 01 June 2020, 10:25   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

Afair I adapted caps library to rawdic moons ago.
Old 01 June 2020, 12:11   #13
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Guys, I appreciate all this info. Jean-Francois, thanks, I will investigate. :-)
Old 01 June 2020, 12:18   #14
Angus
Amiga Games Database

And if anyone's interested, here is Tony Crowther's review of Dungeon Master which I did on the phone for the AGDB. He talks about the influence DM had on his games, Captive and Liberation, and his fondness of the Amiga.

http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/DBA1/DungM3.html
Old 02 June 2020, 18:00   #15
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Slightly funny story:

So, as I said, by shuffling my 2 originals of Liberation around, I was able to install the game, using the original hd installer included with the game.

Having done that, I decided to go for the best quality Wall tiles, I have an 060, I thought so no sweat, ha ha, let her rip, baby!! About half an hour later it finished and I ran the game. It started playing the intro animation which I bypassed and waited for the game to load while it displayed a "LOADING" image.

....and I waited.

.......and waited.

Ah, okay, I thought half an hour was quick, it must have made the decisions then - and then the first time you load the game after that, it does all the actual calculation work.

12 hours later it was still working on it. I went to bed.

When I woke up this morning, I checked. Still working on it.

This can't be right, I decided. I need to stop it, but I was worried about a reset damaging my compact flash drive so I ran Snoopdos:

It was endlessly repeating the phrase "cannot find disk2!!"

So, it was just down to the assigns and the lack of an error message.

...and my sub-jedi Amiga skills. :-)