English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 27 August 2012, 13:59   #41
nexusle
Banned

Why you guys doesn't use FS-UAE? It's a way better Amiga Emulator and the GUI is very beautiful:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65563

If you use FS-UAE, you doesn't need a copyrighted ROM file, because FS-UAE have the buildin AROS ROM replacement! In the Link above Frode Solheim explained how to set up such an environment.

I've uploaded to The Zone the game Transplant as bundled with FS-UAE. I believe Transplant is a freeware game, so we should not have any trouble!

Remember, it's a ZONE download, so it's time limited!

Last edited by nexusle; 28 August 2012 at 07:50. Reason: No direct links to The Zone, please.
Old 27 August 2012, 23:11   #42
appel

Quote:
If you use FS-UAE, you doesn't need a copyrighted ROM file, because FS-UAE have the buildin AROS ROM replacement! In the Link above Frode Solheim explained how to set up such an environment.
Very interesting, thanks Nexusle! Frankly I hadn't heard of the AROS ROM yet, will have to look into this.

I found a kick.rom & rom.key file in Resources/Kickstarts. Is that the AROS ROM you're talking about? Do you know what the license for those files is? Is it distributable?

Thanks again!

Old 27 August 2012, 23:24   #43
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by appel View Post
I found a kick.rom & rom.key file in Resources/Kickstarts. Is that the AROS ROM you're talking about? Do you know what the license for those files is? Is it distributable?
Sorry, I have removed that zip file from The Zone, because those kick.rom and rom.key files are part of Amiga Forever © Cloanto, and nothing to do with AROS.
Old 27 August 2012, 23:27   #44
appel

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Sorry, I have removed that zip file from The Zone, because those kick.rom and rom.key files are Amiga Forever files © Cloanto, and nothing to do with AROS.
And I was so excited that dropping them into an .app bundle worked Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Old 27 August 2012, 23:31   #45
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by appel View Post
Very interesting, thanks Nexusle! Frankly I hadn't heard of the AROS ROM yet, will have to look into this.

Thanks again!
The AROS ROM is an open-source kickstart implementation and can be redistributed. FS-UAE includes an AROS kickstart in the executable itself, and this is used if the option kickstart_file is set to "internal", or if another suitable kickstart is not found. Updated AROS ROMs can also be loaded from files like other kickstarts. For example. the "Aros Vision" (http://www.natami-news.de/html/distr..._download.html) distribution contains updated AROS kickstarts.

The compatibility with AROS ROMs with classic games can vary, but the maintainer of "AROS Vision" claims compatibility is quite good with recent versions (http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=278)

But kick.rom and rom.key sounds more like a kickstart from Amiga Forever, so perhaps these were included by mistake?

Of course, FS-UAE can use official Amiga kickstarts (and this is probably much more common) just like E-UAE, either decrypted ROMs or encrypted Amiga Forever ROMs provided that rom.key is also bundled.

The thread nexusle referred to (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65563) contains instructions on how to make app bundles for Mac OS X with FS-UAE and embedded floppy images / kickstarts, which is rather similar to this thread
Old 27 August 2012, 23:50   #46
appel

Quote:
The AROS ROM is an open-source kickstart implementation and can be redistributed. FS-UAE includes an AROS kickstart in the executable itself, and this is used if the option kickstart_file is set to "internal", or if another suitable kickstart is not found. Updated AROS ROMs can also be loaded from files like other kickstarts. For example. the "Aros Vision" (http://www.natami-news.de/html/distr..._download.html) distribution contains updated AROS kickstarts.

The compatibility with AROS ROMs with classic games can vary, but the maintainer of "AROS Vision" claims compatibility is quite good with recent versions
Thanks! Learning a lot here The included AROS kickstart sounds like it solves a lot of problems. Will need to read into that.

Quote:
But kick.rom and rom.key sounds more like a kickstart from Amiga Forever, so perhaps these were included by mistake?
I'm gonna assume that the kick.rom & rom.key were indeed included by mistake.

Quote:
Of course, FS-UAE can use official Amiga kickstarts (and this is probably much more common) just like E-UAE, either decrypted ROMs or encrypted Amiga Forever ROMs provided that rom.key is also bundled.

The thread nexusle referred to (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65563) contains instructions on how to make app bundles for Mac OS X with FS-UAE and embedded floppy images / kickstarts, which is rather similar to this thread
Awesome! Thanks again!

Old 28 August 2012, 01:32   #47
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I still haven't found my Amiga Forever Value Edition (it's the 2008 version), but I still have the email Cloanto sent me with the download link and registration details.

Sadly, the link was only valid for a week, but I now know the filename, so that should help.
I have this evening found and installed it (registration info was required).

There are no Windows executables included (i.e. no emulators). The Amiga Files/System folder contains both Workbench 1.3 and 3.1 hard files, and encrypted Kickstart 1.1, 1.3, 3.0 and 3.1 ROM images, but no rom.key file!

Therefore the Value Edition is not usable legally as a standalone package!
Old 28 August 2012, 07:49   #48
nexusle
Banned

VERY BIG SORRY!!! I've forgotten to delete these both files before zipping and uploading!!

In the zone now is the right file without these both files!

once more: SORRY!!
Old 29 August 2012, 00:09   #49
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusle View Post
VERY BIG SORRY!!! I've forgotten to delete these both files before zipping and uploading!!

In the zone now is the right file without these both files!
Thankyou very much, nexusle!
Old 29 August 2012, 01:05   #50
kire_online

Quote:
You just didn't get the point at all. You have broken an EAB forum rule - repeatedly as it turns out, and now you show no remorse whatsoever.

Appel has only just joined the forum, and yet he has shown a much more mature attitude and has escaped with a warning.

Whether you make good your threat never to post here anymore is up to you when your 1 month ban expires. In the meantime you may wish to reflect on the likely consequence of pursuing your argument when that time comes. (Hint: it won't be a 2 month ban.)

Indeed I have, as you were no doubt expecting.

Edit: At appel's request, I have lifted your ban, but be warned that any more bad attitude from you will result in a permanent and final ban.
Just to summarise as I'm in a training class and only have 2 minutes to post;

Not post anymore here = will not post anymore copyright infringing Mac App Bundles

Good to see others finding this useful, and taking an interest as it has great potential I think, especially if we end up with an App like Boxer except for Amiga games. I thought about the options of open source kickstart replacements while excommunicated, and maybe this is the way forward.

I din't realise a company had bought the kickstart rom license from Commodore. I always thought Cloanto were just a bunch of freeloaders cashing in on us who wanted to play Amiga games.
Old 29 August 2012, 01:15   #51
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kire_online View Post
Just to summarise as I'm in a training class and only have 2 minutes to post;

Not post anymore here = will not post anymore copyright infringing Mac App Bundles
That's good to know. Welcome back.

Quote:
I thought about the options of open source kickstart replacements while excommunicated, and maybe this is the way forward.
Yes, that would certainly make things a lot simpler.

Quote:
I din't realise a company had bought the kickstart rom license from Commodore. I always thought Cloanto were just a bunch of freeloaders cashing in on us who wanted to play Amiga games.
That's a misconception shared by more than a few Amiga enthusiasts, unfortunately.