English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 18 January 2012, 10:20   #21
kire_online

I tried doing a shadow of the beast, unfortunately it prompts for disk2, and it expects it in DF0 !
Old 18 January 2012, 13:50   #22
S0ulA55a551n

Could you not do something similar with whdload ?

So that you wouldn't have an issue with mulitple disks ?

Could use a combination of .adf and .hdf , wouldnt need full workbench files I think ?
Old 20 January 2012, 05:53   #23
kire_online

Try these out, and have a good weekend !

<Link Removed; contains Kickstart ROM images - prowler>

Last edited by prowler; 25 August 2012 at 00:18. Reason: Link removed.
Old 22 January 2012, 14:50   #24
gibs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kire_online View Post

I read somewhere that PS3 wireless controllers work natively on Mac OS X 10.7, haven't tried this yet but that would also be cool with Amiga games via E-UAE. Maybe one day I'll get a couple of the el-cheapo PS3 Sixaxis wireless controllers to rip out the insides and transplant into the Battlestation II.
I confirm that they work.

Why don't you bundle whdload (for df0 issue) like this :
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 23 January 2012, 20:28   #25
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Nice job! This is a fantastic way to introduce newbies to the world of Amiga emulation.
Old 24 August 2012, 22:29   #26
appel

Quote:
<Link Removed; contains Kickstart ROM images - prowler>
I know this thread is old and all but... THIS IS AWESOME! Thank you so much! Are there any more of these collections out there? Or is there a template/howto? Would love to do Wings...

Thanks again, kire_online, very much appreciated!

Last edited by prowler; 25 August 2012 at 15:23. Reason: Removed link in quote.

Old 25 August 2012, 00:04   #27
appel

Quote:
Originally Posted by appel View Post
I know this thread is old and all but... THIS IS AWESOME! Thank you so much! Are there any more of these collections out there? Or is there a template/howto? Would love to do Wings...

Thanks again, kire_online, very much appreciated!
Think I got it, based on kire_online's work and the excellent pointers in this thread! Played for a bit, seems to work ok, but please be advised:

Here's the link to Wings.app:
<Link Removed; contains Kickstart ROM image - prowler>

Let me know if it works.

Last edited by prowler; 29 August 2012 at 22:41. Reason: Obsolete link removed.

Old 25 August 2012, 00:26   #28
prowler
Global Moderator

I have removed all the links to bundled applications that contain copyrighted Kickstart ROM images.

If you wish to distribute these bundled applications, please remove the Kickstart ROM images first.

To upload Kickstart ROM images or Workbench disk images is against the rules of the EAB forums.

kire_online and appel: you are both lucky to escape without a month's ban on this occasion.

Workbench disks, Kickstart ROMs & software or music files still supported/for sale
Old 25 August 2012, 00:46   #29
appel

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I have removed all the links to bundled applications that contain copyrighted Kickstart ROM images.

If you wish to distribute these bundled applications, please remove the Kickstart ROM images first.

To upload Kickstart ROM images or Workbench disk images is against the rules of the EAB forums.

kire_online and appel: you are both lucky to escape without a month's ban on this occasion.

Workbench disks, Kickstart ROMs & software or music files still supported/for sale
Yikes. How's that for bumping an old thread... Sorry about that, didn't mean to cause any harm. Will take the kickrom out and post a new link.

Old 25 August 2012, 00:52   #30
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yikes. How's that for bumping an old thread... Sorry about that, didn't mean to cause any harm.
Apology accepted. I know you meant well, that's why you got away with it on this occasion.

Quote:
Will take the kickrom out and post a new link.
That would be great, thanks.

Most users here have the required ROM image or know how to get it, so your application will be no less useful for that.

PS. Thread title changed.
Old 25 August 2012, 07:19   #31
kire_online

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Commodore will go out of business - Kickstart ROM must be protected at all costs

Wow I didn't realise I was doing anything wrong and going to make Commodore go out of business or anything

Newbies can play these games with no knowledge of a rom or adf, that's the point. If you break out the rom then it's useless to these users, anyhow I won't post anymore here.

It's a shame that people think a kickstart rom is protected by "copyright" simply because some guys can still make money reselling the hardware, whereas game adf files seem to be treated without the same punishment for the sin since it makes their hardware useful for resale in the first place.

I don't want to get into a deep political discussion here, but it's a real shame people promote this double standard when it comes to ROM and ADF files.

I'd love to see these awesome games make a revival on ios and android to be played on tablets and big screen tvs rathern than stuff around with scan-doublers and scart to yuv converters with old amigas filled with leaky capacitors. Don't get me wrong I have 6 Amigas of my own and love the hardware, but you can never have enough Amiga.

Probably the best route is to have something like these guys have up and running except for Mac Users;

<Link Removed; that site contains links to files containing Kickstart ROM images - prowler>

Or are you going to pull that link too ?

Last edited by prowler; 25 August 2012 at 15:11. Reason: Yes, pulled that link too! ;)
Old 25 August 2012, 09:02   #32
nexusle
Banned

@kire_online:

There is nothing with Commodore!

The ROMs are copyrighted by CLOANTO. This company is still in charge. If you publish ROMs, you'll get trouble from this and other companys.
Old 25 August 2012, 10:38   #33
appel

Quote:
It's a shame that people think a kickstart rom is protected by "copyright" simply because some guys can still make money reselling the hardware, whereas game adf files seem to be treated without the same punishment for the sin since it makes their hardware useful for resale in the first place.

I don't want to get into a deep political discussion here, but it's a real shame people promote this double standard when it comes to ROM and ADF files.
You've got a valid point there. And it definitely takes away from the ease of use. However, ultimately a download with instructions is better than no download at all.

The link for Wings.app (without kickrom):
http://www..com/?sam7j6f3fdxm9a7

If you find an error or room for improvement, please let me know.

Code:
Please note, this game won't work without an Amiga Kickstart rom file!
Unfortunately, due to copyright issues, this file cannot be included with
the .app. You can legally obtain a Kickrom at amigaforever.com/value
(about €10 at the time of writing these instructions). If you own an Amiga
you could also extract the rom using a tool like TransROM or GrabKick.
See lemonamiga.com/help/kickstart-rom/kickstart-rom-1-3.php for more
information.

Instructions:

1. Have your Amiga Kickstart rom file ready (if you got it from
   amigaforever.com, extract it from the package you downloaded).
   Rename it to kick13.rom and copy it to the clip board (⌘ + C)
2. Unzip Wings.app.zip
3. Control-click Wings.app, click 'Show Package Contents'
4. Navigate to Wings.app/Contents/Resources/
5. Paste the kick13.rom file into this folder (⌘ + V)
6. That's it. You should be able to play the game by double clicking
   Wings.app. Have fun!
Again, sorry for kicking up a shit storm, that definitely was not my intention. @kire_online, since I'm responsible for the take down, would you mind if I repackage your original games without the kickrom so I can put the link back up?

Last edited by appel; 25 August 2012 at 10:43. Reason: Added the 'error or room for improvement' line.

Old 25 August 2012, 15:10   #34
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Wow I didn't realise I was doing anything wrong and going to make Commodore go out of business or anything

Newbies can play these games with no knowledge of a rom or adf, that's the point. If you break out the rom then it's useless to these users, anyhow I won't post anymore here.

You just didn't get the point at all. You have broken an EAB forum rule - repeatedly as it turns out, and now you show no remorse whatsoever.

Appel has only just joined the forum, and yet he has shown a much more mature attitude and has escaped with a warning.

Whether you make good your threat never to post here anymore is up to you when your 1 month ban expires. In the meantime you may wish to reflect on the likely consequence of pursuing your argument when that time comes. (Hint: it won't be a 2 month ban.)

Quote:
Or are you going to pull that link too ?
Indeed I have, as you were no doubt expecting.

Edit: At appel's request, I have lifted your ban, but be warned that any more bad attitude from you will result in a permanent and final ban.

Last edited by prowler; 26 August 2012 at 21:41.
Old 25 August 2012, 18:37   #35
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
The link for Wings.app (without kickrom):
http://www..com/?sam7j6f3fdxm9a7
Good work, appel!

Quote:
If you find an error or room for improvement, please let me know.

Code:
Please note, this game won't work without an Amiga Kickstart rom file!
Unfortunately, due to copyright issues, this file cannot be included with
the .app. You can legally obtain a Kickrom at amigaforever.com/value
(about €10 at the time of writing these instructions). If you own an Amiga
you could also extract the rom using a tool like TransROM or GrabKick.
See lemonamiga.com/help/kickstart-rom/kickstart-rom-1-3.php for more
information.

Instructions:

1. Have your Amiga Kickstart rom file ready (if you got it from
   amigaforever.com, extract it from the package you downloaded).
   Rename it to kick13.rom and copy it to the clip board (⌘ + C)
2. Unzip Wings.app.zip
3. Control-click Wings.app, click 'Show Package Contents'
4. Navigate to Wings.app/Contents/Resources/
5. Paste the kick13.rom file into this folder (⌘ + V)
6. That's it. You should be able to play the game by double clicking
   Wings.app. Have fun!
The Amiga Forever ROMs are encrypted, so the kick13.rom file will need to be accompanied by the rom.key file (also bundled with the Value Edition) in order for the kickstart to be loaded properly. You really ought to mention this in your notes.

Quote:
@kire_online, since I'm responsible for the take down, would you mind if I repackage your original games without the kickrom so I can put the link back up?
That's a nice thought. He's not in a position to answer you at the moment, but he could hardly be offended even if he were, and it would certainly restore the thread's raison d'être if you were to do so. I say "Go for it anyway!"

PS. Make sure you remove all the kickroms from the Amiga Games archive.

Last edited by prowler; 25 August 2012 at 20:55. Reason: French correction. ;)
Old 26 August 2012, 00:01   #36
appel

Quote:
The Amiga Forever ROMs are encrypted, so the kick13.rom file will need to be accompanied by the rom.key file (also bundled with the Value Edition) in order for the kickstart to be loaded properly. You really ought to mention this in your notes.
Thanks for the heads up. However, according to this post the Value edition doesn't come with a rom.key, so I presume people without a Kickrom will have to buy the €29.95 Plus edition. Is that correct?

Last edited by appel; 26 August 2012 at 12:11. Reason: key.rom -> rom.key

Old 26 August 2012, 00:25   #37
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. However, according to this post the Value edition doesn't come with a key.rom, so I presume people without a Kickrom will have to buy the €29.95 Plus edition. Is that correct?
I didn't know that the Value Edition doesn't contain a rom.key file. If it doesn't, this can only mean that either the kick13.rom image is not encrypted, since the rom.key file contains the decryption keyword, or the Value Edition contains a special version of the WinUAE emulator with embedded keyword (though I don't think the latter is at all likely).

What I can see from the Amiga Forever Value Edition page is that "Amiga Forever Value Edition comes in a dedicated Windows version, which is easy to install and run.
If you do not intend to use Amiga Forever on a Windows system we recommend that you purchase the Plus Edition or the Premium Edition, which include both Windows and non-Windows content".

So it looks like you are correct that you will need the Plus Edition to run the emulation in a non-Windows environment, whether the rom.key is missing from the Value Edition or not.

I think I was given a link to download the Value Edition free by Cloanto a couple of years ago when the dispatch of the Premium Edition I had ordered was delayed.

I have never burned it to a CD, but I could have a look tomorrow to see whether it contains the rom.key file and whether the kick13.rom is encrypted or not, then we'll know. The only problem is that my copy is not the 2012 release.

Edit: It might not actually be necessary to purchase the Plus Edition if the Value Edition does contain the rom.key, as the non-Windows content probably consists only of Amiga emulators to run in the non-Windows environments and your archives already contain the E-UAE emulator for Mac OS X.

Last edited by prowler; 26 August 2012 at 00:52.
Old 26 August 2012, 13:03   #38
appel

Sheesh, this is getting a little complicated...

Quote:
Edit: It might not actually be necessary to purchase the Plus Edition if the Value Edition does contain the rom.key, as the non-Windows content probably consists only of Amiga emulators to run in the non-Windows environments and your archives already contain the E-UAE emulator for Mac OS X.
That'd be nice. But since we can't be sure I'm tempted to just keep it simple. I'll update the instructions when more information becomes available.

Here's the link to the repackaged games (including two extra games):
http://www..com/?ha6xvm778se45e1 (175MB)

Note: Each game is between 17-20MB. That's because UAE is bundled with each .app. Redundant? Yes, but we're going for ease of use here, remember?
If anyone's interested, I've dissected kire_online's bundles and used Platypus to create (some of) these bundles. I'm hardly an expert, so if anything is broken or if you have suggestions for improvement please let me know!

Instructions

Please note, these games will not work out of the box because the Kickstart ROM is missing. Unfortunately, due to copyright issues, this file cannot be included with the .app bundles. You can legally obtain a Kickstart ROM at amigaforever.com (note that YMMV). Or, if you own an Amiga, you could also extract the rom using a tool like TransROM or GrabKick. See lemonamiga.com/help/kickstart-rom/kickstart-rom-1-3.php for more information.
  1. In case this has somehow slipped by you: you need a Mac (OS X) to run these games!
  2. Have your Kickstart ROM (and -if applicable- your rom.key) ready. Make sure the filename of the kickstart ROM is 'kick13.rom'. Copy the file(s) to the clipboard (⌘ + C).
  3. Unzip agfosx.zip. You should now have a folder with 29 games.
This is where it gets a little tedious....
  1. Control-click the first .app file, then click 'Show Package Contents'.
  2. Navigate to <NAME>.app/Contents/Resources/
  3. Paste kick13.rom (and rom.key) into this folder (⌘ + V)
  4. Repeat these steps for each .app file.
  5. That's it. You should now be able to play the games. Have fun!

Last edited by appel; 26 August 2012 at 13:10.

Old 26 August 2012, 21:44   #39
prowler
Global Moderator

Great work, appel! Thankyou very much.

Edit: I still haven't found my Amiga Forever Value Edition (it's the 2008 version), but I still have the email Cloanto sent me with the download link and registration details.

Sadly, the link was only valid for a week, but I now know the filename, so that should help.

Last edited by prowler; 27 August 2012 at 00:49.
Old 27 August 2012, 13:35   #40
Rissol

Hi,

I come across with this and its awesome but im having a little problem with the joystick, only the directions work, the buttons dont, tried to change config, assign then buttons and doesnt work, may anyone help me out on this, plz ?

Thanks

PS - Dont know if its important or not but im using the xbox360 controller, it works with other emulators without problems (FS-UAE, SNES, NES, etc), im using mac osx 10.7 and 10.8