English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 June 2007, 00:33   #1
Rodrev

First Post: A2000's Genlock and greetings to all

Hi to all!

Im a new member to the forum. I have owned and enyoied a A500+ for many years not only for games, but music and graphics as well. I recently aquired a nice package of two A2000s and some peripherials, that I wish to put to creative use. (I am a musician and wish to explore video). The Hardware has belonged to a local TV-cable company for years, and has mainly been used for Scala Infochannel and image manipulation.

This is what I now am the lucky owner of:
Amiga 1:
A2000 HD Rev 6.2
2.04 Kickstart
2.1 WB
GVP SCSI HD+8 (w/4mb RAM)
120 MB Maxtor HD
A2000 Video Modulator

Amiga 2:
A2000HD Rev 6.2
1.3 Kickstart
1.3 WB
A2091 SCSI (w/2mb RAM)
50Gb Quantum HD

Peripherials:
Commodore 1084s
Electronic Designs/Hama Sirius Genlock
2x Electronic Designs Y-C Colorsplitter
Digiview 4.0 Gold

I also own a A500 with 2.1 Kickstart, 1Mb RAM and ECS (I broke my A500+ and got an upgraded A500 instead).

The HD on Amiga1 was stuffed with great software (Infochannel, Dpaint5, MusicX, TV*TEXT+++), and some uninteresting software on Amiga2. I have tested the digitizer and the colorsplitters, and they work. My problem lies with the Genlock. It works good when run on external power. I am then able to fade and manipulate a Video Signal, but when I plug it into the Amiga RGB port all the LEDs turns pale, and I can get no signal from the Amiga, in either mode on the Genlock. I have tried it on both A2000s, with the same result. On the sound of the HD it seems to boot as normal.

I tried the genlock with the A500, and it wont boot with it in. The power light just flashes, and it wont load from disc. Im guessing that the problem is with the cable that connects to the Amiga, since the genlock works good in stand-alone mode. I recieved all documentation and discs for every piece of Hardware in the package, except the Genlock, so I cant be shure if Im doing anything wrong. :S No software or info's on the HDs either. I have been told that it should be in working order, so I try a wild shot here before I take drastic measures and try to replace the cable.

I have found the Manual and Software in the "Kickstart Archives" DVD, but I cant get any response from the guy who is selling them. Does anyone here have a driver and/or manual? This my first experiences with a Genlock, and its hard to find good info on the net.

Any help, suggestions or experience will be greatly appreciated, as I cant wait to put this great machines into use! It surely is a fantastic machine. I wonder what our computers would be like today if the Amiga had survived.

Best regards
Baard

Last edited by Rodrev; 06 June 2007 at 00:39.

Old 09 June 2007, 19:18   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I completely missed this post... naughty me.... personally i rekon you slipped this one in behind all the others!

Hello there Rodrev

Welcome to the EAB, I am sure you will like it here.

Its a shame I dont know much about genlocks for the Amiga, I have however seen them sold for quite little money on ebay
Old 09 June 2007, 19:51   #3
keropi

welcome to EAB !
I too have an A2000T 6.2 (with 4x16bit ISA slots solderered ) with a 2630/4MB card, a picassoII and a gvp SCSI card...
I wait for it a 2MB chip expansion and a 030@40/16MB gvp accelerator!
I plan to use a 486 bridgeboard with it too!
Old 11 June 2007, 12:15   #4
Rodrev

Thank you for replying, and your greetings! Its great to see a living Amiga community.

I have posted the Genlock-question on Amiga.org as well, and found out that I should try to change the cable.

I must say I really love the graphics on the Amiga. Yesterday I digitized a couple of images with the Digiview Gold, and in Lo-Res, 4096 colors they look absolutely wonderful. It reminds of the same effect that analog tape has on recorded sound. The amiga really has a expression of its own, both in sound and graphics.

I see that I need a accelerator, so I will try to obtain one. If anyone has reccomendations for upgrades, please give me some advice I am interested in maxing out this A2000, as this is the generation of Amigas that I grew up with. And then, perhaps Ill get myself a 4000 as well

Baard

Old 11 June 2007, 13:55   #5
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I believe a member of these fair boards (Coze) is selling an 030 cpu + ram for the A2000.. you might get lucky there... trying to find an 040 or 060....

well then we are talking the realms of keropi-land...

wich he owns everything and is trying to get at my cpu collection!!!!