English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 30 July 2018, 22:16   #41
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
For the tiles, one technique I was using was to paste one image onto the other with overlap. If the image moves when pasting, then there's a problem. but one error and the tile recognition system is toast. TBH I used that on pixel-perfect game maps, probably ripped from original logical tile data
I also used that on custom-made levels done with paintshoppro with grid lock on 32x16

If you don't have the tile maps and you can't rip them, the easiest way to do it in my opinion is to bust out Python.

https://github.com/bjorn/tiled/wiki/Import-from-Image

Old 30 July 2018, 22:32   #42
mcgeezer

A couple of hours tonight pretty much completing the sprite formatting.

There's a lot of work to be done with this as the sprites look a bit washed out, if I can switch palettes between enemies on screen then I can get more colours... probably double at least.

[ Show youtube player ]

Notice how I have put the enemies death sprites right at the end... this is so that I can easily work out that I don't need to generate enemy collision masks for those sprites.... anything else will interact with Rygar (either kill him or help him).
Old 30 July 2018, 22:35   #43
jotd
This cat is no more

nice find.
Old 30 July 2018, 22:38   #44
jotd
This cat is no more

I couldn't help but notice a "sidearms" folder
Old 30 July 2018, 22:42   #45
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I couldn't help but notice a "sidearms" folder
Ha - yeah, I love side arms! Maybe after Rygar.
Old 30 July 2018, 23:53   #46
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Ha - yeah, I love side arms! Maybe after Rygar.
Gimme a poke if you need anything I have a few things here and there !
Old 31 July 2018, 00:20   #47
invent
pixels

Interesting thread

How I matched the Rygar maps when working with Sandruzzo. I used "Tiled" software (Mac,PC) and setup a extra Reference layer from the arcade maps, and in general modify the transparency as well as toggle on/off to see any tile changes.

The 27 Rounds of Tiled maps have been created here. These are most likely unusable as they use all the tiles in one file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TL...xvXr8inM2xJ6-3

If you can lock down final tile arrangement and colourset you want and export an iff/png, I'd be happy to recreate the maps. This time though I won't make them all, instead as you require a new map/Round as they do indeed take a long time. If you have someone else creating the maps, great also

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rygar)2017_k_Tiled.png
Views:	509
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	59044  
Old 31 July 2018, 09:24   #48
buzzybee

Ambitious project, probably a bit too big for a one man show?

Your memory structure seems to make sense. From what I learned while coding RESHOOT R I´d seriously spend more memory on audio. Also don´t forget that code on such a project can easily add upto 300 kb if you want to minimise loading time. Also, you might learn that you need additional buffers for multiplication tables, copper list double buffering etc.

The engine I developed for RESHOOT R would perfectly fit Rygar. Therefore, if you have any technical or structural question, don´t hesitate to contact me.

Good luck and have fun while developing, can´t wait to see moving pictures!

Last edited by buzzybee; 31 July 2018 at 10:57.
Old 31 July 2018, 14:08   #49
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:

Notice how I have put the enemies death sprites right at the end... this is so that I can easily work out that I don't need to generate enemy collision masks for those sprites.... anything else will interact with Rygar (either kill him or help him).

This confuses me , I guess you object would have a state so the animation frame its on would not matter would it ?
Old 31 July 2018, 16:05   #50
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
This confuses me , I guess you object would have a state so the animation frame its on would not matter would it ?
The sprites are ordered on the basis of their type . i.e collectibles/enemies/players/explosions etc.

So for example you might have 100 sprites, 1-20 might be player animations, 21-50 might be collectibles, 51-70 enemies and 71-100 might just be for visual show... like explosions, enemy deaths or background animations like water falls.

So for sprites that don't interact with the player (like explosions) you don't want to generate any collision masks, so in this example the easiest way to do it is state any sprite drawn above 70 does not draw a collision mask and therefore won't affect the player if visually it collides during game play.

If it doesn't make sense I'll try and explain it a bit more later down the line with examples.
Old 31 July 2018, 17:43   #51
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
very interesting
Old 31 July 2018, 23:31   #52
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
Interesting thread

How I matched the Rygar maps when working with Sandruzzo. I used "Tiled" software (Mac,PC) and setup a extra Reference layer from the arcade maps, and in general modify the transparency as well as toggle on/off to see any tile changes.

The 27 Rounds of Tiled maps have been created here. These are most likely unusable as they use all the tiles in one file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TL...xvXr8inM2xJ6-3

If you can lock down final tile arrangement and colourset you want and export an iff/png, I'd be happy to recreate the maps. This time though I won't make them all, instead as you require a new map/Round as they do indeed take a long time. If you have someone else creating the maps, great also

Good luck
Here is what the sprites and tiles look like merged.

[ Show youtube player ]

Personally - I think they look good enough. I'm concerned about the Blue depth so may fiddle with that a little.

I need to remap the colours for the hardware sprites on the 64 pixel wide Rhino, Vulture and a couple of other large sprites but that is no biggy.

You have saved me months of work here (if I have permission to use them) - I have PM'd you.

I'd like opinions (particularly from mods) that if I use these graphics the team would be disqualified from the competition. I'll still continue the project regardless but this needs to be clarified.

Geezer
Old 01 August 2018, 01:31   #53
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
You have saved me months of work here (if I have permission to use them) - I have PM'd you.
I'd like opinions (particularly from mods) that if I use these graphics the team would be disqualified from the competition.
No objections from me.

...as others have already pointed out; it's a massive, ambitious project so any help you can get from previous graphic rips / adjustments are fine IMHO.

I'm sure you'll credit all sources / people involved so where's the problem?

At the end of the day, we are all looking forward to a killer Amiga version of the arcade classic Rygar

...competition or not; if you complete this then I'll pay you all the money pledged so far; that's a promise and I'm a man of my word!!!
Old 01 August 2018, 01:41   #54
Ian
Global Moderator

You do what you want. Not likely to throw out the only entrant (thus far)

I just checked the millionth and final, final draft and reusing art is allowed. No where does it state it has to be your art so do crack on sir.
Old 01 August 2018, 05:20   #55
buzzybee

Sorry if this is a silly question, but: What competition are you talking about?
Old 01 August 2018, 09:22   #56
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
Sorry if this is a silly question, but: What competition are you talking about?
Given you are probably not an English native speaker... contest = competition.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=92858
Old 01 August 2018, 09:23   #57
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
No objections from me.

...as others have already pointed out; it's a massive, ambitious project so any help you can get from previous graphic rips / adjustments are fine IMHO.

I'm sure you'll credit all sources / people involved so where's the problem?

At the end of the day, we are all looking forward to a killer Amiga version of the arcade classic Rygar

...competition or not; if you complete this then I'll pay you all the money pledged so far; that's a promise and I'm a man of my word!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
You do what you want. Not likely to throw out the only entrant (thus far)

I just checked the millionth and final, final draft and reusing art is allowed. No where does it state it has to be your art so do crack on sir.
Spot on gents - crack on I will. Full credit will be given to all involved, now and historically.
Old 01 August 2018, 12:19   #58
buzzybee

Thanks for clarification. I do know the word "competition" and "contest", just did not know about this very specific Amiga game compo. The whole compo-thread seems a bit messy, but as soon as it´s cleaned up, the rules are specified and the compo really starts, it might try my luck with RESHOOT R :-)
Old 01 August 2018, 12:55   #59
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Entering that contest with an already worked on project was a point of disagreement and it seems the general consensus was towards entries made FOR this competition speciffically. Imho, this is unfortunate since it excludes by default a ton of amazing Amiga projects (like ReshootR) already in the making, but what can you do?

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic, back to Rygar AGA discussion.
Old 01 August 2018, 14:37   #60
buzzybee

So, only compo projects are allowed, and the author only has six months from start to finish? Can´t imagine that this leads anywhere, since the timeframe is too tight if you don´t use any kind of working framework (like Blitz). It also rules out Rygar, right?