English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 13 April 2024, 22:06   #81
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I admire Randy Linden getting this to run in 512K, but its the copy protection that stops this working on anything like a decent Amiga setup.

Because of the protection, he has hard coded the emulator to only work between $2d000-$7ef00, so it doesn't take advantage of slow mem, not relocatable at all, and because of the way he wrote the protection, stopped the emulator from being installed on a hard drive.

I want to crack and release this, but its of such limited use that in all honesty, I'm not sure its worth the effort.

IF this emulator ran in 32bit fast memory, I'm guessing it would be fantastic in the speed department.
Old 13 April 2024, 23:24   #82
TjLaZer

I think if V2 can be cracked and made to work as an ADF that would be great. Leave it at that. We have another excellent C64 emulator that runs on all setups already. (MagiC64)
Old 14 April 2024, 00:39   #83
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
I think if V2 can be cracked and made to work as an ADF that would be great. Leave it at that. We have another excellent C64 emulator that runs on all setups already. (MagiC64)
See https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=79
Old 16 April 2024, 00:30   #84
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Right, i'm no good at this!

I've tried to get stuff loading and working, but I don't know enough about C64's to know what the fuck i'm doing.

Tried to load Montezumas Revenge with a .d64 extension which i'm presuming is disk format for the c64.

So what I did was the following:

LOAD "$",9 and then press RETURN

Some disk activity

Then I typed LIST and hit RETURN

This then listed the Montezumas Revenge disk image, but some of the characters in the filename are corrupted, but never the less, if I move the cursor upto the file listing and put LOAD in front of the quote, and then put ,9 at the end of the last quote, it appears to load from the disk.

Screen goes black, and thats it, nothing else.

Tried it by putting 9,1 but that made no difference.

Tried R-Type and that after loading displayed a load of coloured boxes all over the screen.

So, can someone provide me with an ADF with known working games, and clear and precise instructions on how to actually get the damned things to load and run?

Pretty please?
Old 16 April 2024, 00:38   #85
TjLaZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
Bad crack, doesn't read disks. Locks up.
Old 16 April 2024, 00:41   #86
TjLaZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Right, i'm no good at this!

I've tried to get stuff loading and working, but I don't know enough about C64's to know what the fuck i'm doing.

Tried to load Montezumas Revenge with a .d64 extension which i'm presuming is disk format for the c64.

So what I did was the following:

LOAD "$",9 and then press RETURN

Some disk activity

Then I typed LIST and hit RETURN

This then listed the Montezumas Revenge disk image, but some of the characters in the filename are corrupted, but never the less, if I move the cursor upto the file listing and put LOAD in front of the quote, and then put ,9 at the end of the last quote, it appears to load from the disk.

Screen goes black, and thats it, nothing else.

Tried it by putting 9,1 but that made no difference.

Tried R-Type and that after loading displayed a load of coloured boxes all over the screen.

So, can someone provide me with an ADF with known working games, and clear and precise instructions on how to actually get the damned things to load and run?

Pretty please?
You want to add single .PRG files to the disk, not the D64. It doesn't recognize that format. MagiC64 does though. I think it was a later disk format that came out years after The 64 Emulator was released.

http://ftp2.grandis.nu/turransearch/...0&httplinks=on
Old 16 April 2024, 01:02   #87
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
You want to add single .PRG files to the disk, not the D64. It doesn't recognize that format. MagiC64 does though. I think it was a later disk format that came out years after The 64 Emulator was released.

http://ftp2.grandis.nu/turransearch/...0&httplinks=on
Yup, I figured that out after I read something Kremiso wrote.

Managed to get Pitfall 2 - The Lost Caverns to work, so it looks like my crack works fine as it loads the files fine.

Tried, Mikie, R-Type and a specific version of Montezumas Revenge and the first two dont do anything, and the latter crashes the Amiga.

Tried them all with the .IPF version and they all 100% do the same thing.

Would be nice to have a list of games that work that are worth trying.
Old 16 April 2024, 01:23   #88
demoniac

Quote:
Bad crack, doesn't read disks. Locks up.
I have uploaded my floppy transfer of the 64 Emulator 2 to the Zone. I loaded Yie Ar Kung-Fu as I played that game on the C64. Both my copy and the IPF does the same thing, it loads the title and high score screens fine, but it gurus after I started the 1-player game. Not sure if the PRG is bad or what. (Maybe someone provide a known working PRG that could be tested against?)

For the other ADF of the Unit A version, the emulator doesn't do anything.
Old 16 April 2024, 02:30   #89
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Well happy for a couple of playtesters, i've tested as far as I can, but V2 of the Emulator is cracked

Randy Linden had a good go again!
Old 16 April 2024, 02:52   #90
TjLaZer

I'll test! I can even try lots of different games on it.
Old 16 April 2024, 10:15   #91
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Well happy for a couple of playtesters, i've tested as far as I can, but V2 of the Emulator is cracked

Randy Linden had a good go again!
already? thats a great news!
yes this require a deep test when ingame, there are many crashes in guru with the v2 compared to the v1 that need further tries
a new crack is surely welcomed

i just love the BASIC part, everything is 100% accurate, commands, loadings and savings on disks

about the games compatibility, i'll say adventures, everything that doesn't have more than 4/5 sprites on screen; also single screen games, as the scrolling is just too slow emulated on A500

Montezuma Revenge works good in v1 and v2, but has no audio
BomberJack kinda works
Mr Wino is ok
Old 16 April 2024, 13:06   #92
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
I'll test! I can even try lots of different games on it.
Will send to you later, I have your email already don't I?
Old 16 April 2024, 15:30   #93
commie1974
Amiga? What's that?!?

Lightbulb

Hey, guys, so glad to see your interest in such a matter!
I reckon you'd like to have a look HERE

You will find a ready-to-go setup of mine with emus for the first-generation Amigas, inside the boot HDF you will find LOTS of old C64 proggies that I have tested one by one and found working with A64! Perhaps that's a good start for trying them with ReadySoft's emulator as well!

They are organized as particular files inside "subfolder-disks" (no .D64 support on A64, either), you will also find a couple of multi-loading games that work (like "Killed Until Dead" by Accolade) and a good selection of ZX Spectrum BASIC games that run on Whitby's ZX Spectrum Simulator (included) for the C64, all compiled in menu-driven collections, tested by me and found running on emulated ZX Spectrum/ZX Microdrive environment within A64!

Last but not least, inside this package you will find literally TONS of other stuff related to emulation on low-end Amigas (emus for other systems, emus within emus and so on...). Most of the work done in this one was done personally by me (some conversions done for the first time ever) and is NOWHERE ELSE to be found!!!

After the Amiga boots, read the included DOCS very carefully, they seem too many, sometimes confusing, but absolutely necessary in order to work correctly with this stuff!
Definitely worth your time!!!

Old 29 April 2024, 17:22   #94
commie1974
Amiga? What's that?!?

Lightbulb

UPDATE:
Tested (quasi-)thoroughly the recently-zoned, working .ipf with a lot of C64 titles that I had already transferred to Amiga for use with A64...

The results are rather frustrating, less than 50% loaded and ran with Readysoft's C64 emulator II, while they were all running with A64.
Of course I agree that for 1988, Readysoft's emulator was a miracle and the programming skills of the author are remarkable! The fact that it runs with only 512k made it possible for any ex-C64 and new-A500 owner back then to transfer and keep using his old C64 work files, records or whatever. There were still A LOT of people using their 64 for serious work then!
But with gaming, it just sucks! Only for text adventures mostly and with painfully slow performance. Low compatibility, the sound is annoying, even for 1988 all these seemed (and were) pretty much unusable!

On the other hand, the last (3.01) version of Questronix's A64 came six (1994) years later, but I can tell that it highly exploits the potential of a stock 68000 1MB Amiga, it is just SUPERB!!! Very good compatibility rate with games, reasonable (sort of playable) speed in MANY cases, MUCH better sound. Some of the older titles, like Frogger or Bird Mother run at almost full speed!!! An overall VERY pleasant experience, something I personally NEVER expected to see on my "humble" one-floppy-only A500 with 512k chip + 512k trapdoor RAM and KS1.3 back in the early nineties, to be honest...

Of course all of the above, compared to any modern C64 emulator for Windoze etc. might seem ridiculous (not even .T64 or .D64 are supported, as they weren't still introduced back then), but I am reporting my recent experience with both emulators mainly for historical reasons!