English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 11 December 2019, 11:02   #1
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Cool Acute Angle miniPC

Just wanted to share with you this little thing I had fun in the last couple of days, since I've got a beefy general use computer already, it was fun to remember the old days when computers were slow as fuck and play with this tiny thing.
After modding whatever I can I'll give it to my 78 years old father who only uses the internets for puzzle games, watching youtube and weather.
And who knows, maybe I'll get a second one too for our annual LAN parties, it should run the first Call of Duty 1/2, Medal of Honor, Unreal Tournament, StarCraft 1, WarCraft 3 and such ~20 year old games just fine and be easier to travel with.

https://www.gearbest.com/mini-pc/pp_009760498063.html

[ Show youtube player ]

The price ratio to performance/size/power usage of this thing is great (~$142!), it's got an intel 4c/4t x86-x64 cpu 2.2GHz max with integral GPU sharing 8GB's of DDR2 RAM, build-in wifi2/5 reciever and a gigabit LAN port, bluetooth 5 reciever, 3 x USB3 ports, some Realtek soundcard with a single minijack output, HDMI output, and a standard laptop tiny 2A 12V power supply. A fully activated W10 Home is sadly installed on the 64GB eMMC, while a much faster unnamed 128GB M.2 2230 SSD is right there waiting to be used.

Pros:
- all in one tiny desktop for all your internet browsing and smooth hub viewing @ 1080p needs
- legal & activated W10 Home installed
- 15W of usage

Cons:
- doesn't have a clock battery backup so better have your internetz connected and setup all the time to adjust it
- os installed on eMMC *MUST* be cloned (using EaseUS Todo Backup for example) to SSD or it'll feel slow
- cooling solution could be better, seen it go up to 75 celsius during 7-zip benchmark
- coil whine during idle is annoying if you've got it right next to your ears
- year-old version of W10 installed, updating to 1909 takes * WAY TOO LONG * but is worth it

Last edited by Shoonay; 12 December 2019 at 10:33.
Old 11 December 2019, 13:50   #2
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

At least that looks nice. Thank you for sharing.

At work we are using Intel stick computers (Compute Stick) that is little bigger than your other HDMI plugs and contains either Atom or some intel core processor (more expensive).

You don't need anything more for web browsing and uses hardly any power. We have them also used for dashboards.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ute-stick.html
Old 12 December 2019, 10:25   #3
Shoonay
Global Caturator

The equivalent priced one goes up to 1.44GHz only, has 2GB's of RAM only (although DDR3) and it's only storage method is on 32GB eMMC, ouch, performance of that is somewhere between a HDD and an old SSD, so that's a downgrade.
I was thinking about these a long time ago, but only on x86-x64, cause different CPU architecture means a lack of certain software, and those are rather overpriced so I might as well get a cheap desktop.
Aaaaand... I assume there's no physical power button, right?

Last edited by Shoonay; 12 December 2019 at 10:39.
Old 12 December 2019, 12:05   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Aaaaand... I assume there's no physical power button, right?
Checking youtube it appears there is a power button on the side of it.

It's a cute little thing, that's for sure.
Old 12 December 2019, 12:35   #5
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Oh yeah, should've watched one to clarify and not assume things...
Old 12 December 2019, 13:35   #6
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

We have them since they were first introduced back in 2016, and all of them are running 24x7. We added USB network connection (in shop wifi can be a challenge) and logitech usb keyboard/touchpad. This little thing actually is quite responsive when you take into account that whole thing is smaller than RPi, closer to RPi Zero in size.

All of them are running Win10, and yes, it is challenge to upgrade Win10 of them due to space issues, but temporary external USB drive fixes that.

EDIT: I should probably also mention, from 15 devices that we are running, 1 broke after working around 3 years in unhealthy conditions. (lots of metal dust)

Last edited by Anubis; 12 December 2019 at 14:01.
Old 14 December 2019, 15:53   #7
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Here's a couple of sites that my father checks on frequently and I suspect they wouldn't run well on that cheap Atom stick: www.windy.com & www.flightradar24.com