English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 November 2019, 04:44   #81
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
2) Python is another prerequisite for compiling some other application you want to build that probably is multiplatform anyway and those other platforms assume you have Python availability. -This was the reason I tried to build it for WarpOS(and failed to make it a general use Python solution) and it sort of worked for that purpose.-
I found out that Guillaume Roguez is in charge of Python for Morphos and did a 3.x port:
http://yellowblue.free.fr/yiki/doku....on:rel3x:start

there is also PyMUI

This would probably the best starting point to back port it to 68k (and/or WarpOS) or to AROS if there is enough interest.
Old 07 November 2019, 05:13   #82
Pyromania

@Gorf

Thanx for the link, much appreciated.
Old 07 November 2019, 09:17   #83
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
I found out that Guillaume Roguez is in charge of Python for Morphos and did a 3.x port:
http://yellowblue.free.fr/yiki/doku....on:rel3x:start
Download doesn't work. Where can we get it?
Old 07 November 2019, 12:52   #84
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Download doesn't work. Where can we get it?
Why would you care?

Honestly: why are you posting in a Python thread, if you think it is all "shit" and "shit pile on top of shit"?

Why would you even expect someone to answer your question, after the attitude you showed?
Old 07 November 2019, 13:00   #85
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
@Gorf

Thanx for the link, much appreciated.
He are two newer versions of 2.x and 3.x:

https://www.morphos-storage.net/?pag...n_2.7.6-16.lha

https://www.morphos-storage.net/?pag...-draft.tar.bz2

PyMUI:

https://www.morphos-storage.net/?pag...yMUI_0.7.0.lha

PIL (Image Lbrary)

http://morphos-files.ppa.pl/download...maging_Library
Old 07 November 2019, 22:08   #86
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Why would you care?

Honestly: why are you posting in a Python thread, if you think it is all "shit" and "shit pile on top of shit"?

Why would you even expect someone to answer your question, after the attitude you showed?
You don't understand. 90% of everything is shit. I have tried Python 2 and can confirm that it is shit. But Python 3 is supposed to be less shitty than Python 2. And it's incompatible, so why would I bother with the older, shittier version?

Python 2 vs 3
Quote:
Python 3 was released to fix problems present in Python 2. The nature of these changes meant that Python 3 was incompatible with Python 2...

I am new to Python. Should I learn Python 2 or Python 3?

Python 3 fixes many of the problems that are present in Python 2. Python 3 is also the future of the language since Python 2 will be retired in 2020. It's therefore recommended that beginners learn Python 3. Moreover, if you're going to write new code, Python 3 is the one to choose. Eevee's blog article gives a detailed explanation of all the good things in Python 3.

If you've to maintain legacy Python 2 code, it's still best to learn Python the right way from Python 3.
Old 07 November 2019, 22:28   #87
Gorf

Quote:
You don't understand. 90% of everything is shit.
then I don't want to walk in your shoes ...

Quote:
I have tried Python 2 and can confirm that it is shit. But Python 3 is supposed to be less shitty than Python 2. And it's incompatible, so why would I bother with the older, shittier version?
That's why I am advocating for a 3.x port here in this thread ...
(well knowing, that it is probably not going to happen. unless I do it myself, which will not be this year ...)
Old 07 November 2019, 22:34   #88
Daedalus

Quote:
You don't understand. 90% of everything is shit.
Means that
Quote:
and can confirm that it is shit.
Is impossible to take seriously.
Old 08 November 2019, 12:55   #89
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
then I don't want to walk in your shoes ...
You've never heard of Sturgeon's Law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus
Is impossible to take seriously.
Oh come on. Even the developers of Python admit that it is shit - so shitty in fact that they had to release a new version that is incompatible. And not just minor stuff either.

Why was Python 3 made incompatible with Python 2?
Quote:
According to Guido, he initiated the Python 3 project to clean up a variety of issues with Python 2 where he didn’t feel comfortable with fixing them through the normal deprecation process. This included the removal of classic classes, changing integer division to automatically promote to a floating point result (retaining the separate floor division operation) and changing the core string type to be based on Unicode by default. With a compatibility break taking place anyway, the case was made to just include some other changes in that process (like converting print to a function)...

The other backwards incompatible changes in Python 3 largely fell into the following categories:

dropping deprecated features that were frequent sources of bugs in Python 2, or had been replaced by superior alternatives and retained solely for backwards compatibility

reducing the number of statements in the language

replacing concrete list and dict objects with more memory efficient alternatives

renaming modules to be more PEP 8 compliant and to automatically use C accelerators when available
Old 08 November 2019, 13:09   #90
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

^ Think I will return the Python book to the library and stay with my old copy of REBOL now
Old 08 November 2019, 13:10   #91
Daedalus

Quote:
Oh come on. Even the developers of Python admit that it is shit - so shitty in fact that they had to release a new version that is incompatible. And not just minor stuff either.
Where did I say it's not?
Old 08 November 2019, 13:27   #92
Gorf

Quote:

"nothing is always absolutely so"
- Theodore Sturgeon
Old 08 November 2019, 14:40   #93
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:

Why was Python 3 made incompatible with Python 2?
Got bad news for ya...

According to the TIOBE index, which ranks programming languages based on their popularity, has Python ranked in the number 3 slot. It's also the fastest rising programming language in the top 50.

Was it smart to change version 3 dramatically in order to improve it? According to that list, it was smart move.

BTW, link for Tiobe index - https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

Python Stats:

Highest Position (since 2001): #3 in Nov 2019

Lowest Position (since 2001): #13 in Feb 2003

Medal Language of the Year: 2007, 2010, 2018

Let's hear more comments based on thin air...

BTW, Rebol is not in even top 50.

Last edited by Anubis; 08 November 2019 at 14:48.
Old 08 November 2019, 15:23   #94
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
[...] BTW, Rebol is not in even top 50.
. Not a surprise (see below). But my respect for COBOL that is #28 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiobe.com
[...] Ratings

The ratings are calculated by counting hits of the most popular search engines. The search query that is used is
+"<language> programming" The number of hits determines the ratings of a language. The counted hits are normalized for each search engine for all languages in the list. In other words, all languages together have a score of 100%. Let's define "hits(SE)" as the sum of the number of hits for all languages for search engine SE and "hits(PL,SE)" as the number of hits for programming language PL for search engine SE. Possible false positives for a query are already filtered out in the definition of "hits(PL,SE)". This is done by using a manually determined confidence factor per query. A query such as "Basic programming" also returns pages that contain "Improve your basic programming skills in Java". The first 100 pages per search engine are checked for possible false positives and this is used to define the confidence factor. If this factor is 90%, then only 90% of the hits are used for "hits(PL,SE)". [...]
source :https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/pr...es-definition/
Old 08 November 2019, 15:30   #95
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
. Not a surprise (see below). But my respect for COBOL that is #28 .
Also look at who's still #15
Old 08 November 2019, 15:51   #96
daxb

Would be interesting to see a list with google hits excluded. Hmm... ARexx isn't tracked (possible would be #1 ), only REXX.
Old 12 November 2019, 22:46   #97
IanS

Quote:
@ Ian

Please step back a little and look at things calmly.
meynaf's approach to discussions is sometimes provocative (or seems to be), but is actually not trolling, but well... discussing.

There is no need to agree or come to a final conclusion in an open discussion, but meynaf will always consider valid points and will always answer on the subject.
I can assure you, I am most calm, much as I was when I posted my reply. If my reply was seen as antagonistic or provocative, perhaps I should be allowed the same leeway as meynaf?

It is quite clear that meynaf enjoys being both deliberately obtuse and contrary for the sake of it. If that isn't a form of trolling, I don't know what is. But as long as the same rules apply to others who like to "discuss" in that manner, I am sure everyone will be happy. I've been around this forum for many years, and I certainly know how certain members tend to behave. Some mistake shouting the loudest, for the longest, as being some kind of proof their opinions are 'facts'. ?

Normal service will resume shortly.
Old 13 November 2019, 02:25   #98
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Got bad news for ya...
Indeed, it's bad news when shit is popular, but we are used to that.

Quote:
According to the TIOBE index, which ranks programming languages based on their popularity, has Python ranked in the number 3 slot. It's also the fastest rising programming language in the top 50.
But look who's number 1 - Java! which everybody agrees is shit. So perhaps the chart actually represents quality in reverse.

Quote:
Was it smart to change version 3 dramatically in order to improve it? According to that list, it was smart move.
Indeed it was, especially since the earlier version was shit.
Old 13 November 2019, 03:24   #99
grelbfarlk

Anyway, if someone has a working M68k-Amigaos GCC build environment I'd be happy to share my Python build, or just makefiles and the posix glue source (which was the only thing I really edited). But the MorphOS version I agree is probably the best base for building something good out of it.
Old 13 November 2019, 08:16   #100
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
I can assure you, I am most calm, much as I was when I posted my reply. If my reply was seen as antagonistic or provocative, perhaps I should be allowed the same leeway as meynaf?

It is quite clear that meynaf enjoys being both deliberately obtuse and contrary for the sake of it. If that isn't a form of trolling, I don't know what is. But as long as the same rules apply to others who like to "discuss" in that manner, I am sure everyone will be happy. I've been around this forum for many years, and I certainly know how certain members tend to behave. Some mistake shouting the loudest, for the longest, as being some kind of proof their opinions are 'facts'. ?

Normal service will resume shortly.
Right, try to behave like me, just for the fun. Then - if you're successful in doing so, which i doubt - maybe you will discover what discussing really means.
But for now, it would be better if these attacks of yours just stop here.

Btw. It is easy to catch someone who's contrary for the sake of it. The trick is to switch to his point of view. If he switches as well to the opposite, you caught him.