English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 May 2011, 20:42   #1
digiflip

What has Happened To clone-A?

did this die like the boxer?

Or is Jens Waiting to surprise everyone for xmas or something?
Old 18 May 2011, 21:12   #2
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Didn't die, but went the way of "no more announcements until it's done". There's too many new computer concepts in this thing to reveal any detail. Amiga compatibility is one thing, but there's more to a new product than replicating old functionality.

Jens
Old 18 May 2011, 21:55   #3
ChrisUnionNJ
Amibay Mod/Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Didn't die, but went the way of "no more announcements until it's done". There's too many new computer concepts in this thing to reveal any detail. Amiga compatibility is one thing, but there's more to a new product than replicating old functionality.

Jens
Hey no teasing!!!....

Chris
Old 19 May 2011, 03:42   #4
Ffin

Quote:

Jens
Just when I thought NatAmi was the one to save for, you say this! Please, tell us a bit more.
Old 19 May 2011, 05:05   #5
NovaCoder

Quote:

Jens
Hiya Jens,

Sounds like the scope has grown a little then

I take it you know all about the FPGA Arcade?

I assume both this and the Natami (if they ever get around to releasing it) will be the same kind of product as the Clone A (eg in market terms).

Just wondering if you think there is a market for all three?

Last edited by NovaCoder; 19 May 2011 at 14:20.
Old 19 May 2011, 08:58   #6
Schoenfeld
electricky.

No more details, as they would reveal the ideas (both marketing and technology-wise). They're simple and easy to copy, therefore "saying nothing" is the safest thing to do for me.

Yes, I know about Natami and FPGAarcade, but I neither want to create a new platform (like Natami does), nor do I want to address the existing Amiga people only.

Those two projects are creating a nieche within a nieche with sales prospects of maybe 200 units total. Clone-A goes into the other direction, where it can please Amiga-freaks, but also attract new customers and new developers - and the latter is what we desperately need.

Jens
Old 19 May 2011, 10:42   #7
NovaCoder

Sounds like a plan
Old 19 May 2011, 11:00   #8
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Sounds like a plan
Indeed!

All the best for the project, Jens.
Old 19 May 2011, 11:33   #9
DonAmiga

this sounds great, what time scale could we be looking at? could we see this in the next 12 months
Old 19 May 2011, 12:40   #10
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
No more details, as they would reveal the ideas (both marketing and technology-wise). They're simple and easy to copy, therefore "saying nothing" is the safest thing to do for me.

Yes, I know about Natami and FPGAarcade, but I neither want to create a new platform (like Natami does), nor do I want to address the existing Amiga people only.

Those two projects are creating a nieche within a nieche with sales prospects of maybe 200 units total. Clone-A goes into the other direction, where it can please Amiga-freaks, but also attract new customers and new developers - and the latter is what we desperately need.

Jens
We have the true classics, the ppc-driven classics, the new ppc without custom chipsets, x1000 with new custom chips, minimig that modernize the a500, fpgaarcade that does amiga among others, natami that upgrades the classic amiga and for os - aros, morphos, os 3.x and os 4.x... And clone-a will go in another direction?

When it comes to fragmentation, Android is no match to the Amiga. Not that I'm not really excited about all the new projects - I'm just impressed by the lack of common goal.
Old 19 May 2011, 12:44   #11
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Clone-A goes into the other direction, where it can please Amiga-freaks, but also attract new customers and new developers - and the latter is what we desperately need.
Jens
Truly interesting, Chameleon is also very attractive...
At least Jens has proven track records, so I bet on him.

Kamel
Old 19 May 2011, 16:07   #12
digiflip

I think ill be buying FPGA Arcade and Clone A. I dont think Natami can even be made for enough users nor developers.
Old 19 May 2011, 21:35   #13
NathanTolbert
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Interesting I'm different. I have no interest in the FPGArcade board whatsoever. I am interested in the CloneA and the Natami, granted they both reach production. I have no doubts that CloneA will, but Natami is still up in the air. They have made incredible progress in the last year or so, but I will wait until they start taking interest gauging pre-orders before I get too excited.
Old 19 May 2011, 23:01   #14
asymetrix

the other way must be an AGA+ chipset on a card in a PC system :-)
Old 20 May 2011, 00:43   #15
r0ber7
it's all in your head

I like the idea of attracting new people, so this clone-A sounds good to me.
If I could buy an Amiga compatible system with enough power to run an AmigaOS & Ubuntu dual boot, I'd buy it.

Wishful thinking never hurt anyone.
Old 20 May 2011, 19:32   #16
digiflip

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymetrix View Post
the other way must be an AGA+ chipset on a card in a PC system :-)
This has been done before ie link http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/inside.html

I dont think it got to retail though

If true that be awesome ie could utilise all x86 power all radeon streams etc lol

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 20 May 2011 at 20:08. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 20 May 2011, 20:15   #17
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ber7 View Post
If I could buy an Amiga compatible system with enough power to run an AmigaOS & Ubuntu dual boot, I'd buy it.
It isn't all that difficult. Linux runs on 680x0 with MMU.
Old 22 May 2011, 18:40   #18
asymetrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiflip View Post
This has been done before ie link http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/inside.html

I dont think it got to retail though

If true that be awesome ie could utilise all x86 power all radeon streams etc lol
PC as in Personal Computer :

68k or PPC system as a hardware system.

for example old arcade machines had multiple 68k processors in them.

I dont see why we cant have multiple 600 mhz PPC processors and a 68060 as a hardware system built - with AGA+ card for the chipset.

if it was a x86 hardware system we would have an emulator.
Old 22 May 2011, 21:10   #19
digiflip

Well hopefully we will see some new types fpga based amigas this year with aga support.
Old 23 May 2011, 00:32   #20
AmigaDave

Quote:

Jens

Interesting bit of news about the Clone-A appealing to new developers/users. I would love to know in what way, if that could be revealed without giving any details about the project that would compromise the marketing plan.

I agree that the Natami will be a niche within a niche and only sell a few hundred boards, but the Replay board is aimed at more than just the Amiga community, as it will emulate other arcade systems and probably other 8bit computer systems as well. I think the Replay will potentially sell thousands, unless it is surpassed by another similar project before it has a chance to establish sales distribution in enough areas to create that much sales interest from the several different market communities.