English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 April 2009, 13:46   #1
Mikey_C

Piracy Chestnut again.

Hello all, this is a continuation of another thread elsewhere on EAB........ (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43286)

As a user group ANT, does not condone piracy, Yeah, what's happened in the past in terms of piracy has been discussed to death elsewhere and I am posting this here to avoid the original thread being polluted

Some people here may be surprised to know that most ANT members run E-UAE or some form of old Amiga Emulation and yes, some of us do run old titles that are classified as "Abandonware".

Whilst I appreciate that quite a lot the stuff is now pretty much abandonware, and indeed, a lot of is now "Legal to download" there is still the odd title or two which is still being commercially sold and is still "Current" - As current as the Amiga scene can be defined anyway!

This would include stuff such as Digital Universe, Hollywood, BOH and a few other titles. Additionally, Hyperion-Entertainment stuff is still pretty much a no go to current Amiga users, Without Hyperion, we wouldn't have OS4.x and SAM hardware to run it on, therefore, it just wouldn't be cricket to stab the very people who are keeping our hobby going. This equally applies to stuff that you can still buy and keep an Amiga trader going, such as Amigakit or Forematt home computing.

Mikey C
Amiga North Thames Chairman.
Old 27 April 2009, 13:51   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Not sure at whom you're poking, but I mostly agree with the statement. Maybe this is more Amiga scene related and not so much a general retrogaming discussion.
Old 27 April 2009, 13:52   #3
Graham Humphrey

In fairness this is pretty much the policy EAB adopts when it comes to uploading and linking to things.

Oh and I'm sure you all know that "abandonware" doesn't actually exist
Old 27 April 2009, 13:56   #4
Mikey_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
In fairness this is pretty much the policy EAB adopts when it comes to uploading and linking to things.

Oh and I'm sure you all know that "abandonware" doesn't actually exist

Yes, I know it doesn't actually exist, but it is the only term that fits!
Old 27 April 2009, 14:02   #5
DH
Global Moderator

True GH

The term 'abandonware' seems to be made up for the purpose of software that is no longer for sale, exactly what the status is for this software is anyones guess. I agree some is still being sold and holds a copyright, but, so does the so called 'abandonware' but it seems to be wavered in one sense to allow people to enjoy the fruits of the retro-gaming world
Old 27 April 2009, 14:08   #6
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I realy dont think 10 year old software matters and EAB DoesnT allow software still being sold or keys to be uploaded also including Kickstarts and Workbench.

:If we had to buy original classic Amiga games it would be very elitist and prices would shoot up.
Old 27 April 2009, 20:56   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_C View Post
Yes, I know it doesn't actually exist, but it is the only term that fits!
It's the only term that fits pirates that have a problem of guilt with the act of pirating old games
Old 27 April 2009, 22:16   #8
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Hmmm Piracy.

As a kid I pirated everything...
Now in the second age of my Amiga crusade, I pay for all that is current.

WHDLoad, Ibrowse, WarpDT etc

Would I pirate OS4.x? NO
Would I pirate BOH? NO

Why?

Because rightly or wrongly I see these as endeavours that involve real people. As a youth I never associated my piracy with theft.
Old 27 April 2009, 23:16   #9
Paul_s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandon...t_of_copyright

and with some of these businesses no longer here with us... who in their right mind would sue a group of die hards like us for running a piece of software fast approaching 20 years old? It would cost them more in legal fees et al than the cost to us.

If software was still for sale i.e. on a shelf I'd have no problem in buying it (Seriously - and I used to buy boxed originals in the 1990s for stuff I actually enjoyed playing). But, where else can I pick it up as an original apart from eBay - and even then, the money doesn't go to the original developer...

I have an idea, let's blame Pirate Bay
Old 29 May 2009, 22:11   #10
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
and with some of these businesses no longer here with us... who in their right mind would sue a group of die hards like us for running a piece of software fast approaching 20 years old?
APC&TCP?
Old 29 May 2009, 23:26   #11
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant512 View Post
APC&TCP?
USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

Old 06 July 2009, 18:32   #12
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

Do APC & TCP have rights to use and produce distributed copies of Kickstart ROMs and Workbench OS then? Because they include it in their products sold with UAE.
Old 06 July 2009, 18:33   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You mean Cloanto right? Yes, they have the rights to do that.
Old 06 July 2009, 18:47   #14
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
You mean Cloanto right? Yes, they have the rights to do that.
Cloanto are one and the same as the makers of Flyin' High and Marbelous? ie the owners and sellers of products on the company website of....

http://www.apc-tcp.de/

??
Old 06 July 2009, 18:50   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

No... Didn't know that APC & TCP sells anything that bundles (Win)UAE and WB/KS. Which product do you mean?
Old 06 July 2009, 18:55   #16
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
No... Didn't know that APC & TCP sells anything that bundles (Win)UAE and WB/KS. Which product do you mean?
http://www.apc-tcp.de/support/0034e.php

There is a CD compilation there with 700+ games (vol 3 has 1000) but on the official owners e'bay account he clearly states UAE is included with a full workbench installation to run directly on a PC too.

So whilst Amiga Forever IS licensed as I know because it is by Cloanto, are these other compilations allowed to have fully working UAE setups on a CD as well as clearly that is Amiga Inc's IP
Old 06 July 2009, 18:55   #17
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Looks like ImmortalA1000 missunderstood the jokes of ant512 and Akira. Cloanto have the WB/KS distribution rights, nothing more. APC & TCP has nothing to do with it.
Old 06 July 2009, 19:09   #18
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Looks like ImmortalA1000 missunderstood the jokes of ant512 and Akira. Cloanto have the WB/KS distribution rights, nothing more. APC & TCP has nothing to do with it.
Sorry no I know it was a completely separate question and a bit off topic I realise this. I have seen some comments in bold red writing about this company on this site, things like how they're actively legally protecting their IP/Copyright on their games etc so found it interesting that

a. They include presumably unlicensed KS/WB files on their games compilations (which I doubt they have asked for permission for every one of 1000s on each CD to produce legally seeing as even Cloanto haven't done that to 100% satisfaction)

b. They are overprotective of games produced by themselves everywhere.

c. They rely on GNU General Licence Public software to make money with nothing presumably given back to the developers of UAE in any flavour.

I know copyright on software can be extended indefinitely according to changes in the copyright laws of the EU...maybe if they are not so angelic they need to remove these products from sale or start paying Amiga Inc a few 100,000 euros in back payments
Old 06 July 2009, 19:16   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hmm, so you are sure that there are KS/WB files on these CDs? If so, I'm sure AndreasM has a good explanation...
Old 06 July 2009, 19:33   #20
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Hmm, so you are sure that there are KS/WB files on these CDs? If so, I'm sure AndreasM has a good explanation...
Yes clearly stated in the descr as having installed copy of Workbench for UAE to play the 1000s of games on a PC.

If these are unlicensed workbench files and kickstart roms boy I don't think I will ever laugh as much, not even after looking at Spectrum games when I had a C64 in my youth :