English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 August 2008, 02:53   #101
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

MagicIso should do the trick under windows.
It's getting interesting, seems like on other forums is aswell alive..
Any news?
Old 26 August 2008, 03:01   #102
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I did try MagicISO at one point and no luck i think its to do with the bootblock dont know why as it should stay intact? Please give it ago!

Ill have a look at mkisofs under PearPc
Old 26 August 2008, 10:05   #103
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
FFS thredas discussing 20 year old 512k kickstarts get locked in a day.....

Threads discussing where to get and how to rebuild ILLEGAL ISOs of a commercial product? = Carte Blanche !!! ??

cmon mods!
Old 26 August 2008, 10:11   #104
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
No they don't.

Anyway there is no info here where to get it from and if anyone posts such details it will be deleted.

I must admit to being slightly uneasy about how to edit the ISOs etc being posted so publicly but surely there's nothing actually wrong with talking about it

Although maybe it would be better if such discussions were restricted to PMs...
Old 26 August 2008, 12:31   #105
ck16

It looks like another ISO was released today containing the ATI safe driver and July '07 updates.
Old 26 August 2008, 14:47   #106
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Graham, i know this can be a touchy subject, but the majority of people nterested in this port stated that they would buy it, if it were available legally. I for one would pay gladly the fee for the os, but the problem is that it can't be purchased.
Old 26 August 2008, 15:51   #107
Marcuz

so you would pay gladly for my chair, but since i don't sell it, then it's perfectly ok to steal it?
Old 26 August 2008, 16:48   #108
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Quote:
I ought to have said, posts discussing where to download 20 year old kickstarts get locked/deleted in a day....

My concern over the new ISO is that it contains a complete install of OS4 and could logically be rebuilt for standalone use.

btw. I am as guilty as most of us for pirating OLD no longer available amiga software. However I am careful to support active software that I use... WHDLoad, WarpDT, IBrowse etc.

Hyperion are active and should be supported.

Last edited by DDNI; 26 August 2008 at 17:02.
Old 26 August 2008, 16:48   #109
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
so you would pay gladly for my chair, but since i don't sell it, then it's perfectly ok to steal it?
More like make a copy of it!
Old 26 August 2008, 17:36   #110
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit80 View Post
More like make a copy of it!

say that with a counterfait Prada purse in hand, fake Bulgari wristclock, and even adulterated and unsafe red lipstick on your lips...

ahhh how is much more easier life when i don't give a damn about logos
Old 26 August 2008, 18:49   #111
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Quote:

say that with a counterfait Prada purse in hand, fake Bulgari wristclock, and even adulterated and unsafe red lipstick on your lips...

ahhh how is much more easier life when i don't give a damn about logos
I always thought it was OK to copy things for personal use - its the distribution of copyrighted goods that causes the problems.

As for the topic of this thread - it seems akin to buying a sofa and being told you are not allowed to put it in the kitchen because it was not designed to go there! I mean sure I might have to modify it slightly (and get the instructions and plans on how to do so from the internet) but hey - thats my own choice!

So long as you own a legal copy of OS4 what is the problem with running it on alternative hardware?
Old 26 August 2008, 19:47   #112
Marcuz

while on the second part of your reasoning i agree, more or less (the whole utility - consumable debate of the current age) i don't agree that's responsible to think that jsut because it's for personal use it's ok to copy.

if you want to do it, that's perfectly ok with me, that's your decision, but still call it theft. at least as long you consider wrong to steal a crust of bread from a market's bench.
Old 26 August 2008, 19:53   #113
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Quote:
So long as you own a legal copy of OS4 what is the problem with running it on alternative hardware?
I am all for using legally bought software in any way that you want....

BUT we should remember that the moana files were never sold or released. It is widely believed they were found on a stolen Hyperion laptop. http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/...order=0#419982

Last edited by DDNI; 26 August 2008 at 20:00.
Old 26 August 2008, 21:02   #114
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Quote:
i don't agree that's responsible to think that jsut because it's for personal use it's ok to copy.

if you want to do it, that's perfectly ok with me, that's your decision, but still call it theft. at least as long you consider wrong to steal a crust of bread from a market's bench.
Is it not OK to bake your own bread? That is copying the baker (who would lose money because I no longer buy it from him)...

If I write some software to perform a specific function that no other software can perform you would be quite within your rights to write your own piece of software to perform that same function so long as you do not steal my code to do so.

Quote:
BUT we should remember that the moana files were never sold or released. It is widely believed they were found on a stolen Hyperion laptop. http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/...order=0#419982
I was not aware of this.. Had they not been stolen, but written by an enthusiast that would be OK?
Old 26 August 2008, 21:59   #115
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Just buy an original copy of one of the versions that are available that you can't use and THEN get the pirated copies you can use. That way you can use it and take care of the horrible, horrible guilt.
Old 27 August 2008, 00:15   #116
Marcuz

Quote:
Is it not OK to bake your own bread? That is copying the baker (who would lose money because I no longer buy it from him)...

If I write some software to perform a specific function that no other software can perform you would be quite within your rights to write your own piece of software to perform that same function so long as you do not steal my code to do so.
if you bake your own bread you exercise your right to choose where to buy your bread... either with your own work, by seeding the terrain with wheat than taking care of it, reap it when mature and making grain then flour etc, or by buying your own flour, water, time and work for baking it...

if you want to say that in the end everything and every action start from an abuse, for instance that the first to have an idea bar everybody else to have the same for first, or that the terrain is being abused because you seed it or that if you go right you cannot go left at the same time, well... everything is relative.

that why there are laws that try to be kind of practical. still, do what you want, inside of them as possible.
Old 27 August 2008, 00:27   #117
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
Just buy an original copy of one of the versions that are available that you can't use and THEN get the pirated copies you can use. That way you can use it and take care of the horrible, horrible guilt.
But the pirated ones are stolen - as such using them is also theft - i think thats the point being made!

Quote:
well... everything is relative.
Couldn't put it much better myself!!!
Old 27 August 2008, 06:48   #118
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
But the pirated ones are stolen - as such using them is also theft - i think thats the point being made!
Sure. But who cares? Whoever created that software obviously at some point had in mind for it to be used with the original. Now it's already out there, so I don't see any ethical problem with using it so long as you paid for the original, like you would've paid (and you would've, right?) for a ported original. The money goes to approximately the same people. And yes, I know that doesn't make it any more legal, I'm talking morality here.
Old 27 August 2008, 09:38   #119
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

The question then is whether the moana files would have been included as part of the original set? If they were to have a seperate charge then you are still guilty! Perhaps if these files were not stolen and distributed we may have seen better compatibility with a greater number of systems...
Old 27 August 2008, 09:48   #120
papa_november

This whole debate is ridiculous and very, very sad. The AmigaOS should have been moved to x86 a decade ago and it's absolutely bizarre that the people still working on it have actively resisted doing so. Now they're resisting letting it run on PPC Mac hardware?

What do these people have against money? I like money, and I'm at a loss as to why they don't, especially seeing as they want money in exchange for their product.