English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 March 2007, 19:52   #1
Dizzy
Pirate

Collections database

What program or site do you use to keep track on your collection Both console an computer

I find this program to expensive http://www.collectorz.com/game/

I found these sites. Do anyone know them

http://www.rfgeneration.com/

http://vgrebirth.org/games/

http://vgdb.consolemul.com/index.php
Old 24 March 2007, 20:03   #2
Yesideez
(2b)||!(2b)

I just have mine super organised on my PC. Everything has a meaningful filename and place to go. Might make a website of it one day so I can keep track there...
Old 24 March 2007, 20:10   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesideez
Everything has a meaningful filename and place to go.
The same here, i don't need database programs for my roms, disks or isos.
Old 24 March 2007, 21:04   #4
DamienD
Banned

Same here, I'm super organised and everything I have is in Systems / Categories and very easy to find
Old 24 March 2007, 21:16   #5
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
Same here, I'm super organised and everything I have is in Systems / Categories and very easy to find
Same here. I have however used a proggy called Visual CD to automatically categorize CDs/DVDs with misc stuff on 'em. You just pop the disc into the drive and the program stores the file structure and disc label, as well as a custom disc name if you want one, in a database. That way you can just search for a file/directoryname and quickly find on which disc it's stored Quite useful.

My music collection, on the other hand, is organized in a massive M$ Access database.
Old 24 March 2007, 21:27   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisken uno
Same here. I have however used a proggy called Visual CD to automatically categorize CDs/DVDs with misc stuff on 'em. You just pop the disc into the drive and the program stores the file structure and disc label, as well as a custom disc name if you want one, in a database. That way you can just search for a file/directoryname and quickly find on which disc it's stored Quite useful.
Now that does sound useful

Quote:
My music collection, on the other hand, is organized in a massive M$ Access database.
I really need to do something like this... Keeping track of my 4000 12" vinyls that are part in London, part in Sydney and part in Brussels is hard
Old 24 March 2007, 21:31   #7
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Now that does sound useful
Well, with a gazillion discs with not-so-descriptive-labels it IS pretty useful not having to pop every bloody disc into the drive when you're looking for one single file.
Old 24 March 2007, 21:41   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Well, with a gazillion discs with not-so-descriptive-labels it IS pretty useful not having to pop every bloody disc into the drive when you're looking for one single file.
Luckily most of my computer / emulation stuff is stored on:

... 1 x 40GB external HDD
... 1 x 250GB external HDD
... 1 x 400GB external HDD

At the moment I'm in the middle of transferring the data for the same systems to a HDD

Before I bought the 400GB a few days ago, everything was spread about and becoming a pain to find

For example; I had Amiga stuff on 2 external HDDs and 2 laptops
Old 24 March 2007, 21:50   #9
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Luckily most of my computer / emulation stuff is stored on:

... 1 x 40GB external HDD
... 1 x 250GB external HDD
... 1 x 400GB external HDD

At the moment I'm in the middle of transferring the data for the same systems to a HDD, before I bought the 400GB (a few days ago) everything was spread about and becoming a pain to find
Most of these CDs were burned back when I was on a win 98 machine with a 5 GB HD, so needless to say I was forced to backup stuff all the time back then. Most of the stuff was actually crap that I found on the net and through eMule (and even Kazaa, back when it was teh shizniz). I did, however, come across quite a few things that are difficult to find anywhere these days... Recently I was looking for a HD install of Jupiter Probe and couldn't find it ANYwhere. Turned out I'd found one YEARS ago which was stored on a disc somewhere. Thanks to this proggy I could easily find which disc it was on and play it
Old 24 March 2007, 22:25   #10
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
True, I do have 2 massive cardboard packing boxes full of CDs / DVDs

Luckily I took the time to write the contents on each and every one on the inlay (or whatever you call it)
I should add to that last post; it's still a right pain in the arse to retrieve the boxes from "storage" and then look at the inlays to find what I'm after...
Old 24 March 2007, 22:32   #11
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
I should add to that last post; it's still a right pain in the arse to retrieve the boxes from "storage" and then look at the inlays to find what I'm after...
Exactly! That's why this proggy is so useful With one press of a button it searches through all the contents of the CDs and tells me which CD to look for. They're all labelled with numbers now, making it easy to pull the right one out instantly
Old 25 March 2007, 03:59   #12
VermillioN

For years I was simply using txt files, until I found AV Cataloger.. VERY flexible and cool.. perfect for software, music, books and movies. Supports IMDB, CDDB and online book queries
http://www.avcataloger.com/

Old 25 March 2007, 16:15   #13
Dizzy
Pirate

Thx fisken for that program, it look very usefull Guess I better start scanning all my discs

Thx VermillioN I will take a closer look, It look cool for DVD and music cataloging. Will have to play a little with the game cataloging
Old 27 March 2007, 12:29   #14
Anubis
Retro Gamer

At some point I used GameSpot for PC, Gen, PS and PS2 games.

Then I just forget to update it as I bought more stuff.

For emulation I am unorganized, so this topic looks very promising.