English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language

Old 14 January 2017, 10:01   #21
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
The old version of Storm C was buggy. The new version is based on an older version of GCC. The advantage of Storm C is an IDE but this also requires more resources. The disadvantage is an old (but good) version of GCC which is no longer supported. There is no best compiler for the 68k. With Amiga compilers, it is pick your poison and hope it is one you can tolerate.
There is Hisoft C++ which is based on MaxonCpp too. Relative good IDE, compiles fast - but a few bugs here and there (and i don't even remember where i got it ).

GCC is indeed the best compiler for the code it produces, but it's slow as hell, takes too much resources and not straightforward to setup.
Old 15 January 2017, 18:37   #22
snowfire

After a few decades I'm also looking at getting back in to Amiga-coding ( m68k, OS 1.2 - 3.9 ) . Having examined the options it seems to me like Vbcc and Devpac would be a good choice. ( I want to code hardware directly, demos/games and such ). And cross-compiling option from windows/linux/osx is probably nice to have ( although I have already set up a nice A4000 setup in WinUAE 3.4.0, which is awesome(!) but sadly seems to crash quite often in my Windows 10 ).

Also, I would like to code my program logic in Lua, which I think is awesome little language.
I wonder has anyone ever managed to compile Lua with Vbcc?
Old 15 January 2017, 19:02   #23
Locutus

Yes, Lua shouldn't be a problem.
Old 15 January 2017, 19:18   #24
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfire View Post
I wonder has anyone ever managed to compile Lua with Vbcc?
Lua 5.3 can probably be compiled by -any- full C89 compiler. I've compiled it with SAS/C 6.58, so VBCC shouldn't be any problem at all.
Old 30 May 2017, 17:54   #25
guy lateur

First post on these forums, so sorry it had to be a slight necro, but I was asking myself the exact same question as the OP, so here I am.

So it seems to be down between vbcc and sas/c. I'll definitely be checking out vbcc, but how can I (legally) obtain the latest version of sas/c? Can't seem to find it anywhere..
Old 30 May 2017, 19:12   #26
plasmab
Banned

You can't buy SAS/C for the Amiga from SAS anymore. You'd need to buy a second hand copy on one of the popular forums or auction sites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 May 2017, 19:44   #27
wawa

have you checked the gcc6 amiga-m68k target in this thread? isnt it an option?
Old 30 May 2017, 20:32   #28
plasmab
Banned

Gcc6 needs a lot of RAM to run on real hardware

Old 30 May 2017, 20:39   #29
guy lateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
You can't buy SAS/C for the Amiga from SAS anymore. You'd need to buy a second hand copy on one of the popular forums or auction sites
Ok, that's what I thought, thanks for clarifying!

I've considered all kinds of stuff, including StormC, since I happen to have the Developer CD 2.1. I've read a lot of good recommendations for especially SAS/C, and also vbcc. Just trying to narrow it down..
Old 30 May 2017, 20:55   #30
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Has anyone built GCC6 for real hardware? I was tempted but never tried.
Cross compiling these days should not be a problem. It builds under Linux and IIRC CygWin.
Old 30 May 2017, 20:58   #31
wawa

Quote:
thats right. i didnt know running on amiga is a requirement.
Old 30 May 2017, 21:02   #32
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
thats right. i didnt know running on amiga is a requirement.

Possibly isn't but SAS/C and VBCC both run on real hardware

Old 30 May 2017, 21:02   #33
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy lateur View Post
I've considered all kinds of stuff, including StormC, since I happen to have the Developer CD 2.1. I've read a lot of good recommendations for especially SAS/C, and also vbcc. Just trying to narrow it down..
What hardware will you be using to compile? SAS/C is best for a low spec Amiga and is not difficult to obtain. Vbcc is easy to install and try but anything but small projects will need a beefier Amiga. It can be setup to cross compile from a faster and more modern computer. StormC v4 is ok if you like IDEs (also Cubic IDE) and have the resources for it. It uses an old but good version of GCC (not true of v3). GCC is a pain to install on a real Amiga but the older versions (2.95.3 and 3.4.0) work fine with older code. Newer versions may be too heavy and may have problems on a real Amiga but GCC is one of the best cross compilers available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
Cross compiling these days should not be a problem. It builds under Linux and IIRC CygWin.
It would be awesome if bebbo could make a new GCC 6 install for real Amigas but that is probably a ways away and it would likely be too heavy for most hardware.
Old 30 May 2017, 21:03   #34
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
at least gcc-4.6.4 builds with the development tools when you build aros68k. i compiled a helloworld with it under uae to confirm its working. i guess aros version og gcc-6.3.0, binutils and the rest works too on 68k. the question is however if it is effectively usable.

one day, when bebbos patches are incorporated into aros backend i can tell more.
Old 30 May 2017, 21:08   #35
wawa

Quote:
Possibly isn't but SAS/C and VBCC both run on real hardware

the problem is sas/c availability and conformity with current standards and sources. also what about c++ eventually?

vbcc is probably a better choice, especially its development might now probably boost as its being sponsored by ic. though the problem is that many open sources may expect some set of features available with gcc, binutils and other similar packages that may not be available with vbcc.
Old 30 May 2017, 21:36   #36
guy lateur

Quote:
What hardware will you be using to compile? SAS/C is best for a low spec Amiga and is not difficult to obtain. Vbcc is easy to install and try but anything but small projects will need a beefier Amiga. It can be setup to cross compile from a faster and more modern computer. StormC v4 is ok if you like IDEs (also Cubic IDE) and have the resources for it. It uses an old but good version of GCC (not true of v3). GCC is a pain to install on a real Amiga but the older versions (2.95.3 and 3.4.0) work fine with older code. Newer versions may be too heavy and may have problems on a real Amiga but GCC is one of the best cross compilers available.
I'll be compiling on an A1200, 2/16 Mb, accelerated 68EC30 @ 50 MHz. Cross compiling from my PC is an option, but I'd like to consider doing it on the amiga first.

I think the CD provides StormC v3, so I'll probably stay away from that, then..
Old 30 May 2017, 22:14   #37
matthey
Banned

Quote:
the problem is sas/c availability and conformity with current standards and sources. also what about c++ eventually?
Yea, SAS/C doesn't support C99 but has some basic support for C++. Vbcc has pretty good C99 support but has no C++ support. Neither can completely replace GCC for guys that port software because of this.

Quote:
vbcc is probably a better choice, especially its development might now probably boost as its being sponsored by ic. though the problem is that many open sources may expect some set of features available with gcc, binutils and other similar packages that may not be available with vbcc.
Some of the GCC binutils work with vbcc and are almost necessary like make. Vbcc would really be going prime time if it started developing and installing more of its own bin utils. Vbcc is currently developed and supported for the Amiga which is an often overlooked advantage. I believe it is the only C compiler with active "official" support for the Amiga (68k and PPC).

Quote:
I'll be compiling on an A1200, 2/16 Mb, accelerated 68EC30 @ 50 MHz. Cross compiling from my PC is an option, but I'd like to consider doing it on the amiga first.
That should be enough for learning and small projects with vbcc. I assume a descent amount of storage space with that too. You may want SAS/C installed also though.

Quote:
I think the CD provides StormC v3, so I'll probably stay away from that, then..
StormC v3 is still usable but has a few known bugs which will never be fixed.
Old 30 May 2017, 22:28   #38
guy lateur

Quote:
That should be enough for learning and small projects with vbcc. I assume a descent amount of storage space with that too. You may want SAS/C installed also though.
They'll be small learning projects for now for sure, and I do have some Gb's of storage available. Support for C++ would be nice, though, so hopefully I can get my hands on a SAS/C installation as well..
Old 30 May 2017, 22:46   #39
idrougge

SAS/C, preinstalled and ready to go: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ht=sasc658.lha
Old 30 May 2017, 23:09   #40
guy lateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
SAS/C, preinstalled and ready to go: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ht=sasc658.lha
Thank you!