English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 December 2009, 12:12   #41
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
The Megadrive was released 2 years before and it's life ended a couple of years after the demise of the Snes too! This just tells me that most people preferred Sega at the time.
Hmm, the MegaDrive was abandoned in 1995 and the SNES in 1999. The only real market for the MegaDrive was Europe and after the SNES was released many people either owned both systems or changed (at least the ones I knew). Just saying that the SNES had a bigger impact worldwide after it was released
Old 30 December 2009, 13:28   #42
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Hmm, the MegaDrive was abandoned in 1995 and the SNES in 1999. The only real market for the MegaDrive was Europe and after the SNES was released many people either owned both systems or changed (at least the ones I knew). Just saying that the SNES had a bigger impact worldwide after it was released
The MD was abandoned in 1998 (Frogger was iirc the last MD game). Last major label titles were EA Sports games like NHL'98. Though it's no secret that the SNES was a bigger success worlwide.
Old 30 December 2009, 13:42   #43
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I meant the production of the hardware itself. Should have said that There was even a Brazilian MD game in 2002 according to Wiki, which is indeed newer than any SNES game.
Old 30 December 2009, 13:51   #44
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The crappy Genesis 3 was released in 1998 in the USA. There will be 2010 MD game too (Pier Solar).
Old 30 December 2009, 14:00   #45
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well, the Genesis 3 wasn't a Sega console anymore
Old 30 December 2009, 14:00   #46
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawsykilla View Post
Which console did you have the most fun on? No flaming, No arguing about specifications.
There was me thinking this thread was about having fun on a console, like in the above quote. Not which one sold the most, had the longer life-span, used the h/w better, or most of the other points seemingly being 'discussed' above.

This is not much better than the PS3 vs Xbox360 thread in OT.
Old 30 December 2009, 14:04   #47
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
@ Peter
But were they any good?

Sorry Alex - I only just read this post...

Yes, the games that I mentioned were all good in my opinion - Red Zone looked great at the time although I never finished it because it was way too tough for me!

Split screen racing on road Rash II was great fun - I could never understand why this title never got a SNES release.

Of course the SNES had games that were just as good but the three shoot em up's I mention... Bio-Hazard Battle,Truxton and Phelios were all classic blasters - great fun!
Old 08 January 2010, 16:08   #48
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
@ Sune
What happened to you? Locked away for 10 years? I had a Spectrum but it was 9 years before the SNES was released in the UK. I had an Amiga in-between!
lol

During the 16-bit era all I saw and worked with was Amigas and the occasional Macintosh. I didn't know anybody who had a game console until the PlayStation came out.

I had never seen a real SNES or Megadrive until I moved to Brazil in 2005.

Last edited by Sune Salminen; 16 February 2010 at 17:37.
Old 09 January 2010, 14:55   #49
onkelarie

I owned (and own) both systems, but my favorite console of the two is the Sega Megadrive.

The titles with the best memories are Streets of Rage (1,2 and 3), Strider, Starflight, Sword of Vermillion and Toe Jam & Earl...
Old 19 February 2010, 21:41   #50
eternalcrusader
Zone Fiend

Megadrive had a slightly wider screen but worser sound, FM only while many SNES games featured samples. I just wish those two could be combined... I've always hated SNES' square display, in Rock N Roll Racing for example it's hard to see the corners. On Megadrive it's a bit easier but the music sucks balls (FM rock n roll doesn't rock).

Both systems have their strong points and weaknesses, those two are the most notable. SNES should have had a wider screen and Megadrive sample support...
Old 19 February 2010, 22:42   #51
haynor666
retro maniac

Megadrive simply because it was available when I has A1200 in my home, infact many megadrive were so similiar to amiga ones. Never had SNES until 2001 but i think is great gaming platform as well.

I could compare A500 to megadrive
and A1200 do SNES
Old 20 February 2010, 00:54   #52
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

I didn't own neither but my sister had a SNES. Used to make up any excuse to go round to her house and play Super Mario World - much to her bemusement. This is one game I've never completed. What stood out for me with the SNES was it's Mode 7 - F-Zero being a good example of that. Still play SNES games when I get the chance using ZSNES... and still not completed Super Mario World. It's my mission now before I start drawing my pension.
Old 20 February 2010, 00:58   #53
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalcrusader View Post
Megadrive had a slightly wider screen but worser sound, FM only while many SNES games featured samples. I just wish those two could be combined... I've always hated SNES' square display, in Rock N Roll Racing for example it's hard to see the corners. On Megadrive it's a bit easier but the music sucks balls (FM rock n roll doesn't rock).

Both systems have their strong points and weaknesses, those two are the most notable. SNES should have had a wider screen and Megadrive sample support...
I would say the music capabilities of the Megadrive were far superior than the Snes... but the Snes was better at handling digitised samples/sound effects
Old 20 February 2010, 08:36   #54
Dan Locke

For me, easily the Genesis (I'm not European). It beats the pants off of the SNES when it comes to shoot-em-ups, and the higher resolution means that platformers play better as well. The SNES has more RPGs, but I pretty much hate all of them apart from Earthbound.

That said, the Genesis can't compare to the SNES as far as its graphics and sound go.
Old 20 February 2010, 14:27   #55
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I loved the Megadrive but what you talk of here is more a personal taste thing isn't it.Megadrive wasn't as vibrant a colour palette as Snes and for some that's a big enough reason right there not to like the games.Great machine with some great shooters like Thunderforce 3 but it was always so gloomy in most Megadrive games.And of course some folk will prefer that gloomy atmosphere

Personally i'd rather Axelay, Parodius, Super Aleste, Un Squadren etc to most of the shooters on Megadrive though if we're talking about platform shooters, then that award must surely go to Gunstar Heroes- even though i do still prefer Contra3

The Snes was fairly unmatched if you ask me
Old 21 February 2010, 11:15   #56
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
I would say the music capabilities of the Megadrive were far superior than the Snes... but the Snes was better at handling digitised samples/sound effects
Que? I mean each to their own, but seriously most of the MD/Genesis soundtracks deserve a 'earache' badge
Old 21 February 2010, 11:32   #57
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Que? I mean each to their own, but seriously most of the MD/Genesis soundtracks deserve a 'earache' badge
I think the Megadrive's Yamaha audio chip was great... it produced far more detailed music than the Snes The Snes sounded as though it had a very limited number of channels and alot of the games had that same "monotone" kind of music (it's hard to describe what i mean).
Can you imagine the Snes trying to produce the rave sounds of Streets of Rage in all their glory or the funky music in Toejam & Earl? The Snes is not very good at re-producing instrument sounds, But it is far better at producing clear digitised sound for speech and sound FX

Anyway i agree the graphics were slightly better on the Snes and i loved most of the RPG games the platform had As for speed, the Megadrive was faster and this is evident in games such as Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat etc...

I own and love both consoles but i think the Megadrive will always be my favourite over the Snes (only just )
Old 21 February 2010, 12:08   #58
s2325
Zone Friend

I think MegaDrive sound chip is worse than older Adlib...
Old 21 February 2010, 12:11   #59
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
I think MegaDrive sound chip is worse than older Adlib...
The only thing that's worse than the old Adlib is maybe the Creative Game Blaster or a PC's internal speaker
Old 21 February 2010, 12:20   #60
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Can you imagine the Snes trying to produce the rave sounds of Streets of Rage in all their glory or the funky music in Toejam & Earl?
Those two games (along with a few others) really have great soundtrack on the MD, but they still sound quite 8-bit'ish'. Anyway, the type of sounds on both consoles was quite different and it's hard to compare. Furthermore the Amiga wins this competition hands down