English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 24 February 2024, 20:06   #1
demoniac

bones in Galdregon's Domain/DeathBringer (Spotlight)

Has anyone found the Ghost's bones for game? I believe they are required to get the elven cloak properly (without killing the Elf Lord).

The Ghost in the tower states:
"BURY MY BONES SO I CAN REST IN PEACE"
"FIND THEM FAR TO THE NORTH"
"FAR TO THE NORTH THEY LIE"
"MY BONES LIE SCATTERED"
"BURY ME BARBARIAN"

I'm currently thinking that the item is not retrievable due to a bug.

The PC version states that the "bones are scattered among the stones". They are located near the rockpile that is in the NE corner of the map. The Amiga version doesn't have the bones there.

ACE magazine's solution says to kill the Elf Lord to get the cloak, which might be a workaround to the possible missing item bug.

Last edited by demoniac; 24 February 2024 at 20:16.
Old 24 February 2024, 20:15   #2
demoniac

For those who might be curious on the PC dialog, the Ghost says:
"FIND MY BONES SCATTERED AMONGST THE STONES"
"AZAZEL SLEW ME WHILE I DID ROAM I MUST RETURN TO MY PEOPLE TO MY HOME"

When the bones are taken to the Elf Lord, the PC version states:
"WE THANK YOU FOR BRINGING US THE BONES OF MY FATHER TAKE MY CLOAK IT WILL AID YOU AGAINST EVIL IN THE FORESTS"

No such dialog is in the Amiga version.
Old 25 February 2024, 11:12   #3
kremiso

the guy that did this DOS walkthrough seems to point out the same situation and how to solve?

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2012/...ating.html?m=1

maybe the ST version worth a check too
i have played this a lot of time ago, cannot remember, but for sure i also used the translated in italian K walktrough (the ACE equivalent)

it was possible to go directly and test that part?

Last edited by kremiso; 25 February 2024 at 12:15.
Old 25 February 2024, 20:27   #4
demoniac

I looked at CRPG Addict's page earlier, who stated, "The [ACE] walkthrough suggests you can just kill the elf lord, and I'm pretty sure that's not true. In fact, if you do kill the elf lord, I think the game becomes un-winnable." He used the DOS version, which has the bones. I didn't try killing the DOS Elf Lord before getting the bones to verify what CRPG Addict wrote about unbeatable.

There's also a C64 version. It is possible to go explore directly for the bones without random attacks. This is what I did with the DOS version. The DOS version is horrible, BTW.

The bones is a NPC in the Amiga program. Not sure if I want to try to reverse engineer the lookup table.

Since the time I last posted, I managed to locate additional information from the Hungarian publication 1001/5 Játék (translated as 1001/5 Games) with the involvement of Fábián István.

The article mentions (as translated by DeepL):
"Ghost - We find him in one of the towers, begging us to find his earthly remains, with which he can rest in peace. He can't be killed, his bones are missing, so it's best not to do anything for him."

1001/5 also suggests that killing the Elf Lord is the way to go. It's highly likely that bones is not in the Amiga game from all my research. There's no Amiga dialog that suggest anything about the Ghost being the father of the Elf Lord like DOS nor any dialog that involves the Elf Lord giving the cloak to the player.

Anyway, if someone knows for sure about the bones, let me know. I'm curious.

I also beat the game around the time when it came out and I also don't remember about the bones. Another unexpected game behavior is that the Chief Assassin was already dead when I found his dead body. The only thing I can think of is that it transformed into a wolf (lycanthropy) when I killed it (if the game actually has that werewolf logic based on the game dialog). After reloading a save (prior to getting the cloak), the Chief Assassin was alive.

Last edited by demoniac; 25 February 2024 at 20:36.
Old 25 February 2024, 20:38   #5
demoniac

I looked at the ST disk images. I didn't see bones as a NPC object. There is mention that the necklace has functionality, whereas I didn't see any use on the Amiga version.

The C64 disk images does mention bones and Elf Lord giving the cloak from them.

Last edited by demoniac; 25 February 2024 at 21:15.
Old 27 February 2024, 10:40   #6
kremiso

its an interesting difference

i have tried an old savedisk on Amiga, made killing the Elf Lord, and the game is completable

so that CRPG Addict guy statement is not true, at least on Amiga

also tried to explore all the north part of the map (starting from the begin, and after have talked with the ghost), and yes no trace of bones so far

Last edited by kremiso; 27 February 2024 at 10:48.
Old 27 February 2024, 15:33   #7
vulture

Is this of any help?

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 February 2024, 20:08   #8
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
Is this of any help?
[ Show youtube player ]
Thanks, the YTer killed the Elf Lord as well. It took them 45 minutes to beat the game!
Old 27 February 2024, 20:17   #9
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
its an interesting difference

i have tried an old savedisk on Amiga, made killing the Elf Lord, and the game is completable

so that CRPG Addict guy statement is not true, at least on Amiga

also tried to explore all the north part of the map (starting from the begin, and after have talked with the ghost), and yes no trace of bones so far
Thanks for exploring the northern part of the map. I seriously doubt that the bones are in a catacomb.

As for the necklace on the ST, maybe it works like the bracelet as the text string looks similar for the two items. On the Amiga, the dialog states that one could only use the bracelet 5 times. However, it can be used 5 times for 2 different pubs. Thus, a total of 10 times. Perhaps, the logic for both items got combined.

Another weird item is one particular set of gems doesn't convert to coinage. Also I found if one tries to wear them, the game eats these gems and instant death occurs!