English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 17 January 2024, 23:43   #61
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
...68060 is the minimum, and still not enough for perfect results for demanding games such as R-Type (will often drop to 80% FPS with my above setup).
testing R-Type atm, i can confirm same results on WinUAE, slowdowns also happening with 060 with this one; also, i have reached to make it work only with Frodo

---
EDIT same with Jet Set Willy 2, also seems to work just on Frodo
extra slow even on 060

Last edited by kremiso; 18 January 2024 at 12:24.
Old 19 January 2024, 13:40   #62
kremiso

Jet Set Willy first chapter seems performing little better than the second, it starts to run ok with a 040 cpu

i have uploaded an adf test in the zone, to try it out how is performing with Magic64 :

https://eab.abime.net/zone/Jet%20Set...%28KS30%29.zip

A1200 + 68040 + 2MB FAST + ks3.0 to test it
Old 19 January 2024, 21:30   #63
Aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
testing R-Type atm, i can confirm same results on WinUAE, slowdowns also happening with 060 with this one; also, i have reached to make it work only with Frodo
R-Type on Magic64 needs at least 75mhz clocked 060 to run without slowdowns with 1/1 frame rate and 6581sid.library. Playsid.library brings it down occasionally.
[ Show youtube player ]

Also had to try my all time favourite Octapolis by Jukka Tapanimäki.
[ Show youtube player ]

Frodo is too slow to use with any real 68k CPU.
Old 20 January 2024, 01:06   #64
stx2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Anyone got VICE to work in WinUAE, if so, what config was used?
on winuae magic 64 works fine at full speed, there is no especial config needed

the problem is yet magic64 is very buggy, even the sound of the SID chip is not correctly emulated , lot of games not works , video glitches in games etc
Old 20 January 2024, 08:27   #65
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
R-Type on Magic64 needs at least 75mhz clocked 060 to run without slowdowns with 1/1 frame rate and 6581sid.library. Playsid.library brings it down occasionally.
[ Show youtube player ]

Also had to try my all time favourite Octapolis by Jukka Tapanimäki.
[ Show youtube player ]

Frodo is too slow to use with any real 68k CPU.
thanks for the videos, perfect to check for differences in running
you find a r-type disk that is working also on Magic64, good

about the playsid lib, i need to test also that 'fixed' version on Aminet, just curious if something could change

about Frodo, if you havent yet check the 2.4 version, still downloadable from the main site

https://frodo.cebix.net/

or Aminet
yes it does require better hw than Magic64 (if a game needs 030 on Magic64, it will require 040 on Frodo, 040 will require 060, like that on average), but seems doing ok also with standard configs;
also it has compatibility with some later disk commands, differently than Magic64
Old 20 January 2024, 08:34   #66
kremiso

the old bear here is atm playing FireAnt, Jupiter Lander and FireQuest
Old 20 January 2024, 23:56   #67
Calabazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
late test reply
this is working with Frodo (maybe Vice too, but my crap PC is not strong enough to test that emulation on emulation, the cpu fans start to spin quite fast, seems about to explode )

decent on 060 on WinUAE, it does need a lot of frameskip if on 030 040

---
Impossible Mission seems another tough one;
it does works only with Magic64 here, the speed is very good with a 030;
the digitized speech is not good, and the 6851 lib is mandatory, as the playsid one make freeze everything with this one
I admire you are succeeding in using Frodo.
I have been toying with it lately and i find it way harder to use, mainly because it is needed to type all commands with a not totally suitable keyboard.
Magic64 is nicer and take care of everyting LOAD and RUN without the user needing to care for the synthax.

Also, it seems that some games need specific keypress to launch. Usually hitting space does pass the crack screen and the title screens, but i have learned with you about Zorro that Ctrl must be pressed. So i wonder if some games does not launch because i don't press the righ key.

Now i have juste been through the first level of Last Ninja with Magic 64 and it is easy to change side of disk 1 and continue to second level. Unfortunately, no save state so it seems.
Old 21 January 2024, 00:18   #68
Calabazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx2199 View Post

the problem is yet magic64 is very buggy, even the sound of the SID chip is not correctly emulated , lot of games not works , video glitches in games etc

This is totally solved by the latest playsid.library. If you got real power (Vampire/PiStorm/UAE) use it in ReSID mode and it will be really nice. If you got a SidBlaster, use it the SidBlaster mode and get the real SID sound.
I have made shortcuts for all variables of the playsid.library on my toolbar with toolprefs and it brings the C64 emulation to another level.

Frodo should have also support for the playsid.library and also can use a real SID or recreation with a ZorroSID card which schematics are included in the Frodo archive.
Old 21 January 2024, 12:40   #69
kremiso

interesting how Montezuma Revenge is running on 64 Emulator (1 & 2)

a shame that the audio isnt working, cause the game itself is doing pretty good on a standard 68000 and 512k

test version :

https://eab.abime.net/zone/Montezuma...20sound%29.zip

kickstart 1.3 mandatory to reload
Old 21 January 2024, 13:23   #70
kremiso

Quote:
I admire you are succeeding in using Frodo.
I have been toying with it lately and i find it way harder to use, mainly because it is needed to type all commands with a not totally suitable keyboard.
Magic64 is nicer and take care of everyting LOAD and RUN without the user needing to care for the synthax.

Also, it seems that some games need specific keypress to launch. Usually hitting space does pass the crack screen and the title screens, but i have learned with you about Zorro that Ctrl must be pressed. So i wonder if some games does not launch because i don't press the righ key.

Now i have juste been through the first level of Last Ninja with Magic 64 and it is easy to change side of disk 1 and continue to second level. Unfortunately, no save state so it seems.
yes Frodo is not user friendly as Magic64 , yet it is imo useful for some games that have gfx glitches on Magic64 (and viceversa ofc)

the emulation on emulation im doing here its just the first step, to help in speed up the tests

ie i have finally reached to make AXF-64 work, but seems the worse of the entire set; very similar to A64, probably little better than the A64 old versions, but im not sure at all of this
Old 22 January 2024, 02:36   #71
TjLaZer

I found that MagiC64 runs very well with a 68060/66Mhz+, mostly at 100% with no frame skipping, and the sound is pretty good too. On my Vampire 2 it runs at a solid 100%.

I did try the latest playsid.library and it ran way too slow with the new features, so I don't use them. Pretty happy with it, and I use this a lot on my A1200 to play a lot of c64 games.
Old 25 January 2024, 14:37   #72
stx2199

Quote:
This is totally solved by the latest playsid.library. If you got real power (Vampire/PiStorm/UAE) use it in ReSID mode and it will be really nice. If you got a SidBlaster, use it the SidBlaster mode and get the real SID sound.
I have made shortcuts for all variables of the playsid.library on my toolbar with toolprefs and it brings the C64 emulation to another level.

Frodo should have also support for the playsid.library and also can use a real SID or recreation with a ZorroSID card which schematics are included in the Frodo archive.
nope, the new playsid library is very slow and don't work fine with Magic 64
is better to use the original library v1.1 or v1.2

just try the game giana sisters and look how bad it sounds
Old 25 January 2024, 15:02   #73
Calabazam

Preserving all the old C64 emulators on Amiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx2199 View Post
nope, the new playsid library is very slow and don't work fine with Magic 64
is better to use the original library v1.1 or v1.2

just try the game giana sisters and look how bad it sounds

Are you using the one from the latest Hippoplayer version from Aminet?
Again it works fine for me in ReSid only mode and perfect with SidBlaster mode to use the Sid chip. Works perfect in ReSid with Vampire.
The original lib is ok compared to the other awful 6581.lib of Magic64 (coming straight from A64 emulator).

Ps: of course you need to set the proper env variables to use the latest playsid.lib.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 27 January 2024, 19:14   #74
kremiso

had the time to modify an old 1985 C64 game
Hades, this one :

https://www.lemon64.com/game/hades

it is one game i have played a lot back in the day, but sadly was impossible to complete it prob cause it was unfinished, btw absolutely ok for that competition

reading the online infos and exploring the game behaviour, to finally reach to complete it and watch the end sequence are needed 21 more coins, that i have added at the start of the game

this is the only completable version available around, i have full tested it
Attached Files
File Type: zip Hades (h krem).zip (21.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 28 January 2024, 07:24   #75
ShK

What I like on Frodo is that you can use a real floppy drive with it:

Last edited by ShK; 28 January 2024 at 17:12.
Old 04 February 2024, 09:00   #76
kremiso

Grid Pix is running close if not perfect on A64 :

https://thalamusdigital.itch.io/gridpix

it is imo a great Picross like game, i have totally played it one year ago

so it could be a good thing that can be played on a default A1200
Old 05 February 2024, 12:47   #77
kremiso

the Zeropaige Super Mario Bros 64 homebrew seems another broken if emulated

the problem is the scrolling, seems working bad with all the emulators, Magic64 and Frodo included