English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 July 2003, 19:43   #21
Frog

you also have Digibooster (freeware 8 voices tracker) and DigiboosterPro, the last one support S3M, XM, MP3... import format aswell as XM export. of course on Amiga. If you're familiar to Protracker's like it's very friendly and offer many features.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dbmpro.png
Views:	396
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	5383  
Old 16 July 2003, 19:48   #22
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Looks beautiful...
Old 16 July 2003, 20:04   #23
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

rattus....If i was you i would probably go for Octamed....

if/when you make a tune put it in the zone!!!!
Old 16 July 2003, 22:46   #24
rattus

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Rattus, PlayerPro is pure SHITE. The interface is mega poop. Protracker it's where it's at.
I wasn't aware of that... I like the way you can configure the windows the way you want them though It seems to have everything...

Sorry, can't screenshot cuz it ends up as a huge pdf file. grrrrrrrbloodymacosxihateyousometimes!
Old 16 July 2003, 22:53   #25
thinlega

Quote:
Rattus, PlayerPro is pure SHITE. The interface is mega poop. Protracker it's where it's at.
the bro is right PlayerPro Sucks shit through a sock......There are no good Trackers on the mac
Old 16 July 2003, 23:16   #26
rattus

Quote:
Originally posted by thinlega
the bro is right PlayerPro Sucks shit through a sock......There are no good Trackers on the mac
Okay, I will take your word for it It's just the only one I've ever used... Us mac users are deprived

So, to summarise: either Octamed or Protracker to begin with....

I think I will start with Octamed Sound Studio V1.03c since it is now freeware (www.octamed.co.uk) and they have lots of samples available from the website... I shall give it a try

Please feel free to discuss further, as this is an interesting subject
Old 16 July 2003, 23:20   #27
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Don't forget to post the results in the ZONE!!!!
Old 16 July 2003, 23:33   #28
woody57

Dont write off musicline !

If this is your first attempt with trackers , musicline contains less features but is easier than going sraight into sound studio , the fact that you can live play from your computor keyboard using libary samples allows to hear quick results , rather than playing with a host of features just to get one track right as in octomed {by the way i like octo but mline is good for sketches }
Old 17 July 2003, 00:03   #29
FromWithin
Music lord

Protracker was Soundtracker honed over literally years of versions. It was very streamlined, sensible, and solid. Definitely the best tracker at the time. The problem I have with newer trackers is the complexity. They don't seem to be designed very well. However, if you've never used a tracker before, Protracker may be a bit hard because of all the keyboard shortcuts.Consequently, other trackers maybe preferable. Couldn't tell you which though. I haven't done much tracker stuff for years.

PC: www.buzzmachines.com
Old 17 July 2003, 00:24   #30
rattus

Okay then, I'm putting Protracker, Octamed Sound Studio AND Musicline Editor onto my amiga! can't go wrong with that combination, huh?
Old 17 July 2003, 00:29   #31
woody57

Have Fun !

music should never seem like hard work { all hardworking professional might disagree ! } but at least your guarenteed to create something !..... one mans music is anothers idea of noise polution ! just make yours louder
Old 17 July 2003, 21:38   #32
Amiga1992

Musicline r0x0rz but you better get some flash course on synths 101 or something, since setting up a sample is not as easy as loading it and playing with it (a la Protracker), you have to set parameters for the instrument, like the much important ADSR environment.

That's why I did not recommend it for newbies. It's a fucking AWESOME program, I tell you.

Rattus, dunno why you end up with a PDF file.. Are you using Screen Capture to snap your screen? Saves to TIFF for me here.

Someone should port something like fastTracker to the Mac. OH! The ONLY decent tracker on Mac is GoatTracker, the C64 SID tracker Works a fucking treat.
Old 17 July 2003, 22:14   #33
rattus

Quote:
Musicline r0x0rz but you better get some flash course on synths 101 or something, since setting up a sample is not as easy as loading it and playing with it (a la Protracker), you have to set parameters for the instrument, like the much important ADSR environment.

That's why I did not recommend it for newbies. It's a fucking AWESOME program, I tell you.

Rattus, dunno why you end up with a PDF file.. Are you using Screen Capture to snap your screen? Saves to TIFF for me here.

Someone should port something like fastTracker to the Mac. OH! The ONLY decent tracker on Mac is GoatTracker, the C64 SID tracker Works a fucking treat.
ah yes! GoatTracker! I found that on macupdate whilst looking for playerpro alternatives... It is strange that there are no more MOD trackers on the mac, since most of our wonderful shareware games contain music in that format...maybe they are using amigas?

to get screenshots I just press <command+shift+3> to get the whole screen, or <command+shift+4> to get a selection... It might be Jaguar's PDF-based quartz engine or summat, cuz the resulting files are huuuuge! You have to shrink them to around 25% to get them normal-sized! :eek
Old 17 July 2003, 22:38   #34
woody57

Akira is right ...

sometimes old guys like me who actually built transistor based mono keyboards from kits forget that understanding ADSR waveforms does require some patience .
However the use off single voice sample libaries is a much easier thing than creating your own wave forms
The same is true with breaks and beats however there are many here on EAB more qualified than I who can help you with that
Old 18 July 2003, 06:07   #35
Amiga1992

Yup wood, ADSR et al is not that difficult, but it's not straightforward,so it needs a bit of investigation.

Rattus, avoid GoatTracker, it's more complicated because you have to learn a bit about the SID, and obviously, create all he sonds, since it doesn't take samples. Get onto GoatTracker after some modtracker experience

And dunno what you do on that Mac, I run 10.2.6 and I take screenshots to TIFF running the Screen Capture program
Old 19 July 2003, 00:50   #36
ant512

OctaMED every time. I use a combination of OctaMED Pro 4 (last version with the classic tracker interface) and Sound Studio (they finally got the WB interface looking and working properly, and added a whole host of extra features too).
Old 19 July 2003, 14:47   #37
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Yep, definately OctaMED.

Tried others on miggy and PC and mac (at a mate's) and none of them can do what OctaMED does, as easily, simply and with as clear interface to do it with. OK some of them (like Reason) can do awsome things, but they're not trackers...
Old 19 July 2003, 17:41   #38
thinlega

@ant512 just wondering is the prelude 16bit card worth it???? How fast does your amiga have to be to use it?? and is the clock port version as good as the zorro version
Old 20 July 2003, 15:12   #39
ant512

The clockport version is quite a bit slower than the Zorro version, but still quite usable. As for speed, an 030 can play back MP3s in 16-bit at low frequencies or bitrates, or with very the frequency division set very high. An 060 can play MP3s up to 128Kbps in 16-bit without cutting corners, and can manage 192Kbps if you drop the quality a bit. This is entirely dependent on the CPU, as the card doesn't have an on-board DSP.

OctaMED Sound Studio is a trickier proposition. An 030 or above can play MODs back in 16-bit sound, but you may have to drop the frequency a bit if the MOD has lots of channels. An 060 will play as many channels as you like, with effects turned on, at 44.1KHz+ without any problems.

However (and this is a big however), there seems to be a problem with either the board or its drivers (possibly the Toccata.library emulation?) when used with OctaMED. The board locks up after some use (the time before it locks up is inversely proportional to the amount of data OctaMED streams to it, so I'd imagine it's some sort of buffer overflow), freezing the machine and forcing you to reset it. This makes writing music with the card problematic and frustrating.

So, is it worth it? If you want to use it with OctaMED, I'd have to say no. It's far too frustrating to use, especially when you lose half an hour's work (it never runs for longer than that). For MP3 playback or 16-bit sample work, if you have an 060, it's not too bad. I think I'd probably recommend the Delfina instead, though you'd need to be aware of the problems with that card before you consider it (060 incompatible, buggy drivers, MP3 playback problems).
Old 20 July 2003, 17:11   #40
thinlega

thanks for the info you have saved me some money on that card....