English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 13 November 2003, 22:58   #1
THX1138
Amiga Centurai

Computer shows.....wasn't they just great !

The first computer show i went to was for the C64 which was held at the Novotel complex in London.

My brother an I came away with a carrier bag full of all the
latest games.....and they were cheap !

Wasn't they the days.....

Don't hear about many computer shows for the PC.....

Even if you did you wouldn't exactly pick up nice cheap games
would you !

Any similar experiences ?
Old 13 November 2003, 23:39   #2
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I went to the Gamesmaster show at the N.E.C in the early 90's. It was good fun and I remember they were doing Gamesmaster challenges on a stage and Dominick Diamond got in trouble with a kids father after calling his son a 'tube' on stage.
Old 13 November 2003, 23:42   #3
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
Dominick Diamond got in trouble with a kids father after calling his son a 'tube' on stage.
Old 14 November 2003, 01:28   #4
Miggy2TheMax

for me computer shows used to be exciting... you'd get to see stuff that you've never seen before. I have to say I do recall drooling all over the case design of an 840av connected to a 21" monitor... ahhh yes... I was never lucky enough to go to an expo where commodore was there. Now days the computer expo almost feels like a swap meet rather than a display of innovation.. just plain boring PC's everywhere.
Old 14 November 2003, 02:26   #5
gary

The first computer expo I went to was around 1986. It was a general electronics show demonstrating the latest video/audio and electronic entertainment. Commodore was there promoting their C16's and Plus4s (I remember the person saying that the Plus/4 was the same as the Commodore 64 but better as it had a built-in word processor and 3 other apps - Yeah, right!).

There were both 8 bit and 16 bit computers all showing different ideas with varying strengths and weakneses, and it was the first time I saw an Amiga. They had a still picture of a car (a Mazda I think), only 16 colours but it looked like a TV image to me then . That show had a great 'Wow! look what they can do!' atmosphere.

Quote:
Now days the computer expo almost feels like a swap meet rather than a display of innovation.. just plain boring PC's everywhere.
I couldn't agree more and it is the reason why I haven't bothered to go in years. IBM compatibles and Microsoft products as far as the eye can see - it is just like walking into a large computer store. Nothing really innovative, just more of the same only slightly faster but requiring more powerful hardware.