English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 23 December 2018, 02:25   #41
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigoun View Post
I have tried LOL with the WOS port and keyboard movement works here, good.
I also experienced false graphics colors like AMike in Fullscreen or windowed mode on cybervisionppc and cybergraphics4 at my friends A4000. Only with 15bit or 24bit screemode and windowed mode colors are correct.

Is the 15bit mode looking generally correct and running at a reasonable speed?
Old 23 December 2018, 03:30   #42
amigoun

Colors were correct in 15bit, it was bit slow (at least for 2x mode) not unbearable (like 24bit) but still little bit slower than I would like it to be
Old 23 December 2018, 04:34   #43
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Colors were correct in 15bit, it was bit slow (at least for 2x mode) not unbearable (like 24bit) but still little bit slower than I would like it to be

I could probably do a 15-bit version until the SDL updates happen, maybe that would work for other CGX cards.

What was the PPC speed, less than 200MHz I hope?
Don't know there's all that much I can do to speed it up, next experiment is using P96/CGX instead of SDL for Video, I'll spend some tinkering with that this week, after I give up or put aside my other project that's almost built.
Old 23 December 2018, 10:37   #44
AMike

I've tested it again with 15bit 1280x1024 - the colours were only correct in the window mode - fullscreen same gfx errors as in the past. Speed is good for the old games like Indy IV - Monkey Island III is buggy and slow. Only a bit faster than the 68k Version from nova. (CyberstormPPC 366Mhz)
Old 23 December 2018, 14:05   #45
amigoun

I tested on 604/233. I think it would run fast enough if could be fixed for 15bit fullscreen and 320x240 lores 1x mode.
And when SDL 8bit is fixed or native P96/CGX it will be even better.
Old 24 December 2018, 01:42   #46
grelbfarlk

If someone has some time to waste with a CVPPC, try the versions I just put up in the zone, scummBEbig and small.
Old 24 December 2018, 02:45   #47
amigoun

I confirm versionBEsmall now working with correct colors in fullscreen. Also games LOL and Monkey1 I tested run fast, perfectly playable. But I experience sudden freezes of the ScummVM. Not long after the program starts. Can also freeze in menu/gui too.
r15big works with correct colors only in window mode. Crashes too for me. I think the crashes were there with the previous builds too. Maybe its the machine related? Will wait for AMike tests.

Last edited by amigoun; 24 December 2018 at 03:00.
Old 24 December 2018, 03:53   #48
grelbfarlk

Quote:
I confirm versionBEsmall now working with correct colors in fullscreen. Also games LOL and Monkey1 I tested run fast, perfectly playable. But I experience sudden freezes of the ScummVM. Not long after the program starts. Can also freeze in menu/gui too.
r15big works with correct colors only in window mode. Crashes too for me. I think the crashes were there with the previous builds too. Maybe its the machine related? Will wait for AMike tests.

The big version might need a larger stack-guessing. I also dicked around with the mixer buffer size between the two, the larger one actually has the smaller buffer.

And is that with correct colors in what depth, 15bit?

I was actually hoping this wouldn't work so I could throw my hands up. I guess I could put in checks for the two platforms.

Adding P96 native support is a bigger task than I thought, so that might be a while.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 24 December 2018 at 03:58.
Old 24 December 2018, 16:10   #49
AMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
If someone has some time to waste with a CVPPC, try the versions I just put up in the zone, scummBEbig and small.
ScummSmall works great here. I've tested several Lucasarts games and Lands of Lore. It was only a short 30 minute test, but no freezes and gfx errors so far. Every game was fast and playable - only Monkey 3 was a little bit slow, but ok. I've tested it in fullscreen. (15,16 & 24bit) Thanks for the fix and merry christmas to you.
Old 24 December 2018, 16:38   #50
amigoun

Thanks for the test. So the crashes here seem to be related to the particular hardware I was testing on.
Thanks grelbfarlk for your efforts and merry christmas.
Old 25 December 2018, 02:14   #51
grelbfarlk

Great, happy holidays everyone. I'll put out another one with the rest of the engines.
Old 25 December 2018, 16:09   #52
TheMrKocour

DosBox Sonnet

Hi!
I tried DosBox on my Sonnet 7200.
I downloaded Dosbox074_wos-A1 [Dosbox 0.74 for WarpOS Alpha 1.].lha and it didn't worked for me. Cant open tool message. Then i got Dosbox_wos_GL22.lha and that worked. Here is some video of it.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 December 2018, 04:02   #53
grelbfarlk

I'm glad you got some use out of it.
Did you try with less cycles? Depending on how fast your CPU is, less CPU cycles leaves more time for the graphics and sound, the most basic VGA 256 color games can run as low as 1500 cycles, just a balancing act to find the best setting for what you want to run.

In the dosbox.conf file under the mixer settings you can play with:
rate=22050
blocksize=4096
prebuffer=100

Lower blocksize and prebuffer settings might reduce lag at the risk of more stuttering, and rate at 11025 might sound slightly worse but have better performance.

Also what Sonnet settings are you using?
DisSigBounce and less often EnStackPatch can make a big difference in performance.

Someone start a gofundme or some other bounty so we can hire someone (not me) to finally make a PowerPC (or 68k?) JIT/Dynrec CPU core.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 26 December 2018 at 04:20.
Old 06 January 2019, 20:34   #54
amigoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
It could be an input problem of some kind I notice if I leave it idle for 30 seconds then move the mouse it freezes then too. Seems like it might be related to mouse-overing things but I'm really not sure. Then again, maybe it's video, or anything else I forgot, em, timer?

Greg, did you find a solution to this problem? I still have this problem with sudden freezing, especialy when mooving mouse.. With all the recent ScummVM ports even the Hedeons v2 port. Setups I tested on were CSPPC/CVPPC and BPPC/BVision same problem.
Old 06 January 2019, 20:42   #55
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Greg, did you find a solution to this problem? I still have this problem with sudden freezing, especialy when mooving mouse.. With all the recent ScummVM ports even the Hedeons v2 port. Setups I tested on were CSPPC/CVPPC and BPPC/BVision same problem.

The suggestion was that it was not happening when using compressed audio, with a guess that it was the load on the (hdd controller, AHI, something else?) loading the original tracks. On my GemRB port, it was something different, at least it seems to be, guess that it was a Sonnet setting DisSigBounce that greatly speeds up the PPC at the expense of compatibility. Can't say for sure though.
Old 06 January 2019, 21:05   #56
amigoun

By me it can freeze even in startup gui. Weird.
Old 06 January 2019, 22:24   #57
grelbfarlk

Quote:

Yeah I've seen that too, does it go away if you remove the themes, so it uses the built-in basic Green/Black one? To throw out random ideas, maybe it's a problem in our .png library or it is just input.

Ah the themes aren't in png anyway. Just BMP for some of the buttons and cursor, leaves like maybe Truetype, possibly.
Old 27 January 2019, 00:09   #58
grelbfarlk

Quote:

It seems to be connected to the themes as far as I can tell. After converting the COMI audio it runs so great, screen transitions are very fast, no random pausing, but bringing up the load/save in-game menu sometimes will trigger it, only if I have the modern theme activated.
Old 28 February 2019, 15:58   #59
AMIGASYSTEM

Can the AMiGA version of ScummVM be executed in Windows Mode?
The PC version does this with the keys Alt+Enter key combination in-game !
Old 28 February 2019, 18:15   #60
jurassicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Can the AMiGA version of ScummVM be executed in Windows Mode?
The PC version does this with the keys Alt+Enter key combination in-game !

In the file scummvm.ini a line says:

(...)
fullscreen=true
(...)

If you set it as "false" scummvm starts in windowed mode.