English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 March 2016, 01:14   #181
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Money, time, programmer team.. So many chances for bad choices.
Old 01 March 2016, 17:25   #182
Amiga1992

Funny about people complaining about an 8-bit machine doing 25FPS scrolls when there's a shit ton of Amiga games doing the same, which I think it's a lot more pathetic
Old 01 March 2016, 17:52   #183
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Funny about people complaining about an 8-bit machine doing 25FPS scrolls when there's a shit ton of Amiga games doing the same, which I think it's a lot more pathetic
I don't think anyone is complaining. It is a nice scroll for the CPC capabilities - not seen back in the olden times, so nice achievement. But the problem was that it was said it is 50 fps scroll when really it is 25...
Old 01 March 2016, 18:34   #184
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The only funny thing here are was Denis being dead serious about smooth CPC games (Shadow Dancer i.e.) when they actually run in 7-10 frames which is indeed Amiga Tiertex niveau.
Old 01 March 2016, 18:58   #185
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
The only funny thing here are was Denis being dead serious about smooth CPC games (Shadow Dancer i.e.) when they actually run in 7-10 frames which is indeed Amiga Tiertex niveau.
Still someone has to prove that the Amiga can do better in this respect.

To be honest there is no real proof that the Amiga is able to compete with an arcade machine. Honestly, you should really listen to someone who has knowledge about porting games instead of insisting that only the "chosen one" appears to code the "right" game for you which is better than every other things you've seen so far.

Just accept the fact that the Amiga is only a mediocre system compared to the arcade machines from the 1990s.
Old 01 March 2016, 19:12   #186
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I see what you guys doing here....

Old 01 March 2016, 19:20   #187
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimaInCorpore View Post

Just accept the fact that the Amiga is only a mediocre system compared to the arcade machines from the 1990s.
Now you are being funny. I hope you don't compare specific custom arcade game hardware from the 90s with a computer which was build in 1985. Despite that the Amiga is capable of doing full 50fps in arcade quality and proved it often enough.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 01 March 2016 at 19:31.
Old 01 March 2016, 19:41   #188
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
Now you are being funny. I hope you don't compare specific cszutom arcade game hardware from the 90s with a computer which was build in 1985. Despite that the Amiga is capable of doing full 50fps in arcade quality and proved it often enough.
Do you mean yourself or Denis? Can't tell something about your programmer skills but Denis has a dangerous superficial knowledge about technical aspects. I don't mean it the harsh way but it is the truth.
What proof are you talking about? There is no proof. Just referring to demos is simply not enough as almost every well known arcade classic of that era is not really portable to the Amiga.

Also "dangerous superficial technical knowledge" seem to be very a high level skill I'll never have. But honestly, what are really talking about? Probably I am not educated enough to stand the point you're trying to make!?
Old 01 March 2016, 19:50   #189
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Anubis was right. Your are trying to provoke something. And who talked about 1:1 ports in every aspect? The Amiga can handle generally smooth action games to due the hardware architecture and that's the whole point here. Smooth games in general doesn't mean it has to be a 1:1 port which isn't possible for many arcade games. Games like Turrican or Lionheart have arcade quality. Maybe not the blinky blinky fast stuff from the arcades but they fit the genre very good for a home system.
Old 01 March 2016, 20:02   #190
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
Anubis was right. Your are trying to proke something. And who talked about 1:1 ports in every aspect? The Amiga can handle generally smooth action games to due the hardware architecture and that the whole point here. Smooth games in general doesn't mean it has to be a 1:1 port which isn't possible for many arcade games. Games like Turrican or Lionheart have arcade quality. Maybe not the blinky blinky fast stuff from the arcades but they fit the genre very good for a home system.
So what? Still there's no proof of having a good port of an arcade title so far. And to be honest: there will never be. You don't even have to listen what I say but you should listen to those who've been involved to make those arcade ports. Nothing more and nothing less.

I guess that you haven't any real experience in coding games or even porting something to a different system, have you? So as long as we are talking about something you don't have any experience with you should be careful with your conclusions.
Old 01 March 2016, 20:09   #191
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

You jumped here in like Rambo and misses the whole point of what was discussed here. Don't know the reason why. A show-off of your programmer skills which are probably pretty good? Honestly, in the context here you make no other sense then seeking for trouble.

Of course there are some good arcade ports on the Amiga. Arkanoid, Midnight Resistance, Super Hang-on, Marble Madness, Pang, Plotting etc.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 01 March 2016 at 20:15.
Old 01 March 2016, 20:19   #192
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
You jumped here in like Rambo and misses the whole point of what was discussed here. Don't know the reason why. A show-off of your programmer skills which are probably pretty good? Honestly, in the context here you make no other sense then seeking for trouble.
"jumped here in"... yeah, like making a reference to "Amiga Tiertex niveau"? Are you kidding me when you are talking about "missing the whole point"? Do you really think that you get support by anyone who has knowledge about what we're talking about?

So if you want a real discussion of what can be done on a system just go ahead with a valid point but please simply don't be a troll.
Old 01 March 2016, 20:25   #193
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Dude, we are in an Amiga Forum. Of course i get support about the things i wrote because they are true. btw: Denis and i know us for years. He's a nice guy. But you on the other hand act like a prick, and as i said i don't know why.

Actually you are trolling the thread with OT bullshit. Tiertex niveau means ported games like Rolling Thunder. Which was probably ported to the ST and then to the Amiga. Running in 5-7 frames. Of course the Amiga can do it better.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 01 March 2016 at 21:19.
Old 01 March 2016, 21:00   #194
jeff b00toNic

Now this threat is highly entertaining.
I have to say I'm with Retro-Nerd and others here for the most part about cpc vs. c64.
To me the cpc colours look shiny (glowing) like someone played to much with gamma settings.
And the fact that it's using arcade-faithful gfx doesn't make it one bit better gameplay wise.

Quote:
So what? Still there's no proof of having a good port of an arcade title so far. And to be honest: there will never be.
Pardon?

Silkworm, Pang, Rodland, Snowbros just to name a few the list goes on.
Old 01 March 2016, 21:25   #195
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

His hook was my comment about Tiertex which is an insider joke given the ridiculous track record they had on the Amiga. He hasn't read the thread carefully nor has he checked the Amiga game library for smooth action games.

What a waste of time, but hey he is the uber programmer. Yes, i can't programme or port games but at least i know what i'm writing here.

Now back on topic.
Old 01 March 2016, 21:32   #196
Solo Kazuki

Ok, i'm reading this and don't believe what i'm reading

Quote:
Did you hear about Arcadia Systems (based on Amiga mainboard). You want "perfect arcade", You have. E.g. [ Show youtube player ].

But seriously, there are some games rather poorly converted for Amiga, and Tiertex has many of them. Of course most of arcade machines are better than Amiga, but what Tiertex did is shame for hardware.

Moreover many arcade games in late 80's or early 90's was possible to convert almost perfectly for Amiga (especially with AGA). And i'm not babbling about, I just saw this my own eyes on Amiga with BPCC and MAME (on AGA!).

About good conversions: Rod-Land, Rampart, Volfied, Pang ,Pac-Mania, Silk Worm, Toki and many others. Tiertex really do a lame porting.

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 01 March 2016 at 21:43.
Old 01 March 2016, 22:07   #197
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Now back on topic.
So about CPC vs the Rest...

I think CPC has good static screen games, but scrolling was not CPC strong side. Maybe there is few games with good scrolling, but it was standard for C=.

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
Deep Star (no YT clip)
Old 01 March 2016, 22:21   #198
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Orion Prime seems a nice CPC adventure.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 March 2016, 22:29   #199
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
it exists in german language, and it's really a good game.
Old 01 March 2016, 22:37   #200
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yes, i know. Tried it a few years ago. Pretty good. The R-Type 128K Remake is quite spectacular too. But they should have ported it to the plus machines.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 01 March 2016 at 22:53.