English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 13 July 2017, 14:48   #2041
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

With my kids over past week I saw couple 'super heroes' movies. Let's start from worst to better one.

Power Rangers - lately we saw couple of movies where they could not pinpoint exactly age of their audience. Power rangers should be kids movie, but somehow it turned to be PG-13 that has some scenes bit too scary for little kids, while whole premise is too cheese for teens. At points, movie even gets boring, and whole 'save the world' premise just get too old... 4/10 (for both kids and adults)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - a but better then Power Rangers, with some fun actions sequences, Megan Fox joined by Stephen Amell (Green Arrow, [ Show youtube player ] ) with some good visuals and lots of pizza... kids love it, and for adults... well, ninja turtles, no need to say more. Also to note, this is first Spider-man movie done by Disney, not Sony. 5/10 for adults and 6/10 for kids.

Spider-man: Homecoming - being part of Marvel universe gives this 'reboot' a boost, with some already developed characters, as well with spider-man preview in Captain America: Civil War movie. Good mix of action, humor, well chosen characters and bit of teen drama, with good villain (Michael Keaton) and few hilarious moments with spider-man and his gear...far better compared to the rest. This is first movie in a while with Paltrow (Pepper) cameo and Jon Favreau in couple of scenes (Happy). 8/10 (might not be for everyone, tho)

Another movie we watched, that is not 'super heroes', but it is kids movie: Monster Trucks. It feels more of a TV movie and it is fun for kids as long as you don't question whole premise... of monsters in earth crust living for millions of years and still having eyes and feeding with petroleum... too many things that don't make sense, but still somewhat fun to watch for kids. 3/10 for adults, 5/10 for kids.

Last edited by Anubis; 13 July 2017 at 19:55.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 July 2017, 15:07   #2042
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Last night I saw Ghostbusters (2016). To be honest, I was not expecting much, as movie had low ratings everywhere, but to my surprise it was funny and watchable.
I had no idea Chris Hemsworth and Bill Murraywas in it?! 6.5/10
Old 16 July 2017, 18:12   #2043
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Rings - AKA the Ring 3.

I wasn't expecting much, so what I got was a pleasant surprise. This movie basically mimics the first movie from A-Z. Thus if you didn't like the first movie, you're definitely not going to like this one as this is the Ring 1 but with less capable actors.

So what do you get? Just like the first movie - not enough Samara. You get a little in the beginning, you get a little in the end and in between the movie is one large mystery story following up on "what exactly happened to Samara to make her the evil spirit she is". Sound familiar? That's because its been done before, and confusingly this movie throws her mother into the mix again just like the sucky second movie. It seems they're doing the whole "forget it existed" thing here. Perhaps not the worst idea.

What is a bad idea is the fact that they toned it down to make it more kiddy friendly. At least the first two entries tried to irk you out with weird imagery and audio-noise trickery, nothing like that here. It has become very tame, even the shock value of "suddenly" being confronted with a Samara-corpse has been butchered. Its now more goofy than icky, and that's a shame.

So nothing original here - but it doesn't really have to be. I was entertained for the most of it, up until the end where you can see some major cuts have been done to get the movie into the runtime of an hour and a half. It should have been better - the trailers prove this as they contain really good scenes that are nowhere to be seen in the movie itself!!! I hope a director's cut version will surface sooner rather than later.

5.5/10 - watchable.
Old 16 July 2017, 18:19   #2044
BippyM
Global Moderator

I thought the new ring film was a woeful attempt at reigniting the franchise. It was slow, boring and I actually fell asleep.

3/10 for me. There's much better horror out there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 17 July 2017, 16:25   #2045
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I saw Passengers (2016) and was quite surprised with offering.

From good chemistry between Chris and Jenifer, great performance by Michael Sheen and Laurence Fishburne and WTF appearance in one scene of Andy Garcia (was that really worth to add his name to list, anyone could be there and have the same effect ) to detailed and very visual presentation of ship that shows possible future space tourism / corporate exploration.

Now, this movie in mu opinion is something special in late science fiction, you don't have super heroes, you don't have aliens who are 5K years ahead of us and we destroy with some stupid questionable strategy (real or computer virus, nuclear bomb etc. )

This movie is more toward 'Robinson Crusoe' in first third of the movie, love drama in second and action movie in last third. Visual and details make even something boring very interesting and enjoyable, for example food dispenser that based on ticket gives adequate food. Or for example rooms accommodations difference between basic, gold passengers and crew.

Now, on WTF moments... you are alone on ship and you swim in costume on your personal swimming pool... right...

All actors deliver good performance as I said before, and as I said, this movie gives something different compared to rest of science fiction offered lately and I really love that we finally got a movie that works well, even without super heroes or bad-ass-aliens. We need more movies like this, that are candy for eyes and make you imagine what would look like to live on ship like that.

Watchable and recommended - 8.5/10

Another movie I saw in movie theater - Back to the Future (1985). Don't need to review much about this movie, just to say - my kids enjoyed it and it is different to watch it on big screen compared to watching it at home. This movie really was ahead of its time... still worth watching. Was glad to see many kids in theater.

9/10

Last edited by Anubis; 17 July 2017 at 16:32.
Old 17 July 2017, 21:13   #2046
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Another movie I saw in movie theater - Back to the Future (1985). Don't need to review much about this movie, just to say - my kids enjoyed it and it is different to watch it on big screen compared to watching it at home. This movie really was ahead of its time... still worth watching. Was glad to see many kids in theater.

9/10
One of those series of movies I end up seeing once a year. I can almost recite the dialogue from memory, it doesn't matter. They don't make em like that anymore. And great scott, I hope they don't try. I'm sure the new Ghostbusters movie is really fun, it just won't be Ghostbusters when I get around to seeing it. True classics that nailed it need to be left alone.
Old 18 July 2017, 15:28   #2047
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Only way to have fun watching new Ghostbusters is if you don't compare it to originals. It is a new movie with old idea. It was not done badly and being played by women imho made it more fun for comparison if they made real remake with only male team.

My kids are sad that they will not show other 2 movies from Back to the Future series in theater.
Old 07 August 2017, 00:42   #2048
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

I liked the original cartoon - I like this movie. It's beautiful, the songs are excellent (though even more numerous than in the cartoon...) and the actors fit their roles amazingly both voiced and acted. You can notice that fun was being had and that rubs off on you.

Except for Belle - Emma Watson just doesn't cut it with a bit lackluster performance. That shouldn't rob you of any fun, the movie is a joy to see and hear. But given the choice between the original cartoon and this movie... I'd watch the cartoon. At 2 hours, the movie is a tad too long and the cartoon just has more Disney magic to it with the stunning hand-drawn animation.

And couldn't they have at least thrown in some new material besides a few minor plot-hole fixes in the dialogue? It's almost a carbon copy! That's quite an achievement in itself, but come on... missed opportunity.

7.9/10
Old 07 August 2017, 17:56   #2049
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Beauty and the Beast (2017)

I liked the original cartoon - I like this movie. It's beautiful, the songs are excellent (though even more numerous than in the cartoon...) and the actors fit their roles amazingly both voiced and acted. You can notice that fun was being had and that rubs off on you.

Except for Belle - Emma Watson just doesn't cut it with a bit lackluster performance. That shouldn't rob you of any fun, the movie is a joy to see and hear. But given the choice between the original cartoon and this movie... I'd watch the cartoon. At 2 hours, the movie is a tad too long and the cartoon just has more Disney magic to it with the stunning hand-drawn animation.

And couldn't they have at least thrown in some new material besides a few minor plot-hole fixes in the dialogue? It's almost a carbon copy! That's quite an achievement in itself, but come on... missed opportunity.

7.9/10
We're planning to see it, but it was hard to find time in past few weeks.

I saw ''Keeping Up with the Joneses' . Some nice laughs, tin and predictable plot , still OK for popcorn night... 6/10.

Max Steel - another cartoon character to movie transfer that went worst then Power Rangers. Movie is just bad and thankfully easy to forget... Avoid unless you like to experience what bad movie feels like. BTW, Andy Garcia really did not age well As I feel generous today - 3/10

Last edited by Anubis; 08 August 2017 at 20:01.
Old 08 August 2017, 20:11   #2050
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Finally got around to see Ghost in the Shell. Future in this movie (as in anime) reminds me of Blade Runner with some morbid twist. Complete movie is more 'woow' for scenery then for its characters or plot.
Scary part of the movie is how much this future is possible, and while I like progress humanity is making, stuff like this scares me.
MOvie is OK to watch, as long as you will not compare it to Anime all the time.

7/10
Old 13 August 2017, 15:14   #2051
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Steve Jobs.

Not at all what I expected. I would have imagined this would have been one bombastic Apple and Pixar advertisement fest showing off all the cool things; what I got was a rather critical view of all the characters involved. This movie is all talk and little flash - you for example get to see what is happening backstage before a product launch and then as the launch starts the movie cuts away. And gosh darnit, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time! I felt the tension that Jobs himself must have felt back in the day.

Michael Fassbender shows a terrific performance; I don't know if he does an amazing job showing how Jobs was as I never really paid attention to the guy until after he died, but he does an amazing job pulling off this character he is playing; an awkward, intimidating person who seems to go out of his way to not care about other people and just cares about his creations (but secretly he does care and he has a heart of gold hidden behind that brain of ice). Arguably his best work yet.

I also must give a shout out to Seth Rogen portraying Wozniak; the dude can act really well when he chooses to invest in it.

No really, great film. But probably a little over-dramatic compared to reality.

7.5/10
Old 21 August 2017, 17:49   #2052
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Going in Style (2017) - fun comedy about 3 old friends who decide to rob a bank in times of economic problems. Well made, full of character and talents, almost impossible to make it not to work. 6/10

Snatched (2017) - it was supposed to be funny movie with take on Tekken, but in the end is somehow empty comedy with some fun looking accidents... It was watchable, nothing special, but I can see how it can be offensive for many... still worth only 3/10.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul (2017) - Apparently there is whole series of movies based on the same name book series, and not sure about other ones, but this one was bit annoying, still somewhat funny for kids. Interesting for me, it had Alicia Silverstone as mother, which I did not even recognize in movie. 3/10 for adults, 5/10 for kids.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016) - I really enjoyed this movie. From great cast, to historic NY CGI look... just great. Humor is well done and just at about right quantity. I was surprised to see Colin Farrell, who fit perfectly in movie. 9/10

EDIT: Changed Fantastic Best to 9/10, as it was way better then rest of garbage I watched in past few weeks.
Old 21 August 2017, 21:30   #2053
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

RE: Fantastic Beasts - the reveal at the end was the wrong sort of WTF however. Colin Farrell okayish for one movie, what he morphed into - no, just no.

The upcoming sequel apparently is going to show a young Dumbledore played by Jude Law - can't wait to see how that pans out.
Old 30 August 2017, 23:05   #2054
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Saw Alien: Covenant (2017) - and just as with Prometheus, this movie just did not make much sense to me. I get it, it should be scary, spooky etc, but I would expect it to at least make some sense.

Of course, if it all did make sense, movie would not take turn it did.

To explain what I am talking about. If we ever manage to explore universe, there is no chance we would first send boots on the ground, before first exploring everything with satellites/drones. Next, there is no way to allow someone to breath air without first exploring all possible microbes etc.

With that said, movie was more annoying...

Ridley did great with first movie, but IMHO Cameron did much better with second movie, and all other movies are just not as good as Aliens (second movie). What all franchise made special is Cameron's take, not Ridley's movies.

6/10 for great details on ship and great Michael Fassbender acting.

Last edited by Anubis; 06 September 2017 at 03:25.
Old 05 September 2017, 15:06   #2055
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

xXx: Return of Xander Cage (2017) - There is a point where bad dialog are just that - bad dialog, and this movie if full of them. Of unneeded Naymar Jr. appearance to annoying Nina Dobrev character... some alternate world where extreme sport has its own rules... just mix of many things with 'cool' being defined and explained by main actor which brings us back to bad dialog and this movie has many of them...

But, not like I did not know what kind of movie this will be, it is just amount of what I was expecting is greatly exceeded. (if that was even possible)

6.5/10 for some cool stunts and physics out of this world, including jump from one building to another without even scratch.

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016) Good continuation to first movie, but it just was not as good trip as first one. At some point it seems like watered version of Jason Bourne movie, but not as good as those movies. It is ok to watch, but don't expect anything special or surprising. 6/10

Last edited by Anubis; 05 September 2017 at 15:15.
Old 07 September 2017, 20:35   #2056
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post

6.5/10 for some cool stunts and physics out of this world, including jump from one building to another without even scratch.
Like I said, physics don't exist in this movie Gotta love popcorn movies, realism is overrated.
Old 07 September 2017, 23:32   #2057
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Speaking of overrated realism, I saw Assassin's Creed (2016), and as I was not expecting much of this movie, it delivered exactly that - not much. To be honest, I already ranted about first game ending, this being main reason I never played any other of them (even I own probably all of them), and this movie is not much better. I really wanted to like it, but just whole story about magical apple, assassins who cut their finger (which would make them easy to single out) and almost no story... made it into garbage this movie really is. 2/10 just for some CGI scenery.

John Wick : Chapter 2 - I was expecting good movie just the same as the first was really well made, filled with gore and fast paced gun scene, and that is all what this movie is. Extension on original story, but this time with involvement of Italian mafia, that really does not make it much different, except it shows bit more class and drama.

Whole movie is intro to next chapter, and I am sure I will watch it as well.

Not to forget, use of Commodore Vic 20... that was something just cool for our generation...

And of course, if you did not know - John needs only one pencil.

8/10

Last edited by Anubis; 08 September 2017 at 15:00.
Old 08 September 2017, 14:52   #2058
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Even I said title of movie made me not wanting to watch it, I still was intrigued by Samuel L. Jackson acting in it, so I saw Kong: Skull Island (2017). To be honest, did not expect much from movie, as whole Kong serial is somewhat abused through almost every decade or so... and to my surprise I actually enjoyed watching it.

From nice 70's music, good selection of actors including Tom Hiddleston to somewhat better story then rest of Kong crap with Kong failing for ant-size girl or jumping on New York buildings in 20s or 30s. Island somewhat reminds me of kids movie - Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012), that was not that bad for kids movie.

Of course, there is lots of illogical crap, but who cares?? Just get some popcorn and enjoy scenery, some gore and good acting.

Domestically movie did not even break even in box office, but with rest of the world, it actually returned 3 times of investment, so there is a chance they might follow this story line further, as they suggest in post-credit scene.

7/10

Last edited by Anubis; 02 October 2017 at 17:31.
Old 11 September 2017, 16:25   #2059
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Underworld: Blood Wars (2016) - At some point in each franchise producers/director will run out of ideas how to extend their work, and decide to stop making new stupid addition... nah, who are we kidding, let's milk the cow as much as possible...

Well, here is clear that we are getting to point of maturity and they are running out of ideas... and what to say for movie where main character can't even die... at least not that it will not come back stronger every time it does die?!

It is still the same as first movie, where vampires are classy gothic creatures with darker tone, until you meet northern 'white' vampires, and lycans... well, still beast that loves to fight...

Some nice scenery, boring dialogue and let's not forget 'rules'... and whole lot of nothing else... Only positive side is one of True Blood fairies got an important role in this movie - Lara Pulver - and she did it well.

5/10
Old 12 September 2017, 00:44   #2060
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

After the boring story-less fourth entry, I ain't even bothering with it anymore. Underworld should have been left as a three-parter. Two movies to kill off both main vampires and a prequel to tell why they're all so angry with each other - done.

The way they set up the characters in the first two movies they shot themselves in the foot for any remaining movies as they're just making up "oh yeah, there are secretly way more vampires and Lycans we didn't tell you about, here's some more Kate Beckinsale in tight leathers".
AdSense AdSense