English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 13 July 2017, 13:48   #2041
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

With my kids over past week I saw couple 'super heroes' movies. Let's start from worst to better one.

Power Rangers - lately we saw couple of movies where they could not pinpoint exactly age of their audience. Power rangers should be kids movie, but somehow it turned to be PG-13 that has some scenes bit too scary for little kids, while whole premise is too cheese for teens. At points, movie even gets boring, and whole 'save the world' premise just get too old... 4/10 (for both kids and adults)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - a but better then Power Rangers, with some fun actions sequences, Megan Fox joined by Stephen Amell (Green Arrow, [ Show youtube player ] ) with some good visuals and lots of pizza... kids love it, and for adults... well, ninja turtles, no need to say more. Also to note, this is first Spider-man movie done by Disney, not Sony. 5/10 for adults and 6/10 for kids.

Spider-man: Homecoming - being part of Marvel universe gives this 'reboot' a boost, with some already developed characters, as well with spider-man preview in Captain America: Civil War movie. Good mix of action, humor, well chosen characters and bit of teen drama, with good villain (Michael Keaton) and few hilarious moments with spider-man and his gear...far better compared to the rest. This is first movie in a while with Paltrow (Pepper) cameo and Jon Favreau in couple of scenes (Happy). 8/10 (might not be for everyone, tho)

Another movie we watched, that is not 'super heroes', but it is kids movie: Monster Trucks. It feels more of a TV movie and it is fun for kids as long as you don't question whole premise... of monsters in earth crust living for millions of years and still having eyes and feeding with petroleum... too many things that don't make sense, but still somewhat fun to watch for kids. 3/10 for adults, 5/10 for kids.

Last edited by Anubis; 13 July 2017 at 18:55.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 July 2017, 14:07   #2042
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Last night I saw Ghostbusters (2016). To be honest, I was not expecting much, as movie had low ratings everywhere, but to my surprise it was funny and watchable.
I had no idea Chris Hemsworth and Bill Murraywas in it?! 6.5/10
Old 16 July 2017, 17:12   #2043
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Rings - AKA the Ring 3.

I wasn't expecting much, so what I got was a pleasant surprise. This movie basically mimics the first movie from A-Z. Thus if you didn't like the first movie, you're definitely not going to like this one as this is the Ring 1 but with less capable actors.

So what do you get? Just like the first movie - not enough Samara. You get a little in the beginning, you get a little in the end and in between the movie is one large mystery story following up on "what exactly happened to Samara to make her the evil spirit she is". Sound familiar? That's because its been done before, and confusingly this movie throws her mother into the mix again just like the sucky second movie. It seems they're doing the whole "forget it existed" thing here. Perhaps not the worst idea.

What is a bad idea is the fact that they toned it down to make it more kiddy friendly. At least the first two entries tried to irk you out with weird imagery and audio-noise trickery, nothing like that here. It has become very tame, even the shock value of "suddenly" being confronted with a Samara-corpse has been butchered. Its now more goofy than icky, and that's a shame.

So nothing original here - but it doesn't really have to be. I was entertained for the most of it, up until the end where you can see some major cuts have been done to get the movie into the runtime of an hour and a half. It should have been better - the trailers prove this as they contain really good scenes that are nowhere to be seen in the movie itself!!! I hope a director's cut version will surface sooner rather than later.

5.5/10 - watchable.
Old 16 July 2017, 17:19   #2044
BippyM
Global Moderator

I thought the new ring film was a woeful attempt at reigniting the franchise. It was slow, boring and I actually fell asleep.

3/10 for me. There's much better horror out there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 17 July 2017, 15:25   #2045
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I saw Passengers (2016) and was quite surprised with offering.

From good chemistry between Chris and Jenifer, great performance by Michael Sheen and Laurence Fishburne and WTF appearance in one scene of Andy Garcia (was that really worth to add his name to list, anyone could be there and have the same effect ) to detailed and very visual presentation of ship that shows possible future space tourism / corporate exploration.

Now, this movie in mu opinion is something special in late science fiction, you don't have super heroes, you don't have aliens who are 5K years ahead of us and we destroy with some stupid questionable strategy (real or computer virus, nuclear bomb etc. )

This movie is more toward 'Robinson Crusoe' in first third of the movie, love drama in second and action movie in last third. Visual and details make even something boring very interesting and enjoyable, for example food dispenser that based on ticket gives adequate food. Or for example rooms accommodations difference between basic, gold passengers and crew.

Now, on WTF moments... you are alone on ship and you swim in costume on your personal swimming pool... right...

All actors deliver good performance as I said before, and as I said, this movie gives something different compared to rest of science fiction offered lately and I really love that we finally got a movie that works well, even without super heroes or bad-ass-aliens. We need more movies like this, that are candy for eyes and make you imagine what would look like to live on ship like that.

Watchable and recommended - 8.5/10

Another movie I saw in movie theater - Back to the Future (1985). Don't need to review much about this movie, just to say - my kids enjoyed it and it is different to watch it on big screen compared to watching it at home. This movie really was ahead of its time... still worth watching. Was glad to see many kids in theater.

9/10

Last edited by Anubis; 17 July 2017 at 15:32.
Old 17 July 2017, 20:13   #2046
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Another movie I saw in movie theater - Back to the Future (1985). Don't need to review much about this movie, just to say - my kids enjoyed it and it is different to watch it on big screen compared to watching it at home. This movie really was ahead of its time... still worth watching. Was glad to see many kids in theater.

9/10
One of those series of movies I end up seeing once a year. I can almost recite the dialogue from memory, it doesn't matter. They don't make em like that anymore. And great scott, I hope they don't try. I'm sure the new Ghostbusters movie is really fun, it just won't be Ghostbusters when I get around to seeing it. True classics that nailed it need to be left alone.
Old 18 July 2017, 14:28   #2047
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Only way to have fun watching new Ghostbusters is if you don't compare it to originals. It is a new movie with old idea. It was not done badly and being played by women imho made it more fun for comparison if they made real remake with only male team.

My kids are sad that they will not show other 2 movies from Back to the Future series in theater.
AdSense AdSense