English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Other

Old 12 July 2017, 18:03   #21
Akira

Doesn't the Vampire require a special patched ROM? That would mean you need a special SetPatch (is there no such thing?)
[edit] oh I just read your last sentence fully. So yeah, you shouldn't be using that other SetPatch. Your Vampire will only run with a custom setup (and why is it that it doesn't come with a disk with such things in it already?)
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 July 2017, 18:11   #22
Sinphaltimus

I don't know. I know the Vampire doesn't use the system ROM, I actually removed my kickstart chip as recommended since it's not needed.
Old 21 July 2017, 09:06   #23
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

[offtopic]

Current Lemon Pollution

[/offtopic]

Old 21 July 2017, 13:23   #24
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Well, no wonder Vampire is incompatible with decades old hardware accessories.
Because GVP hardware is well-behaved and Vampire has a more cavalier approach like "why should I support decades-old hardware on this decades-old platform".
Old 21 July 2017, 16:46   #25
Sinphaltimus

Well, I've got the vampire installed again after fixing the pins I broke and I decided to go with what is known to be the best reconfigured environment for it, the ApolloOS. I then connected it to my TV and setup the resolution the way I wanted and I have to say, it was a great big WOW to me. I have never put my hands on such a fast and responsive Amiga before.

Some things are a little quirky certainly but I expect that with the cores still being in active development. I'm running Goldv2, I hear a bunch of folks are running Goldv2.5 beta and Goldv3 has so many improvements I'm excited about.

The challenge I have now with it is that I am having a hard time getting the internal SD card setup correctly as a 16GB fat formatted (Fat16/32 - whatever I can get working) but the guys on the Apollo Team IRC have been great. I spent several hours with them trying everything under the Sun to decipher the GVP issue but in the end, I simply needed to disconnect it and get over it. The few things I wanted to use the SCSI controller for are easily mitigated once I get the internal SD card working correctly.

Also, some programs I run didn't appear to do anything, until I realized they were not displaying on HDMI, so I connected the video out from my RF converter to the same TV and if I click on something that does nothing I simply change the source on my TV to Video and there it is.

I want to do so much more now than I originally planned for it but I decided to start testing the fewest amount of programs I wanted to use right away. First i installed MED but I will move to OctaMed this weekend. it works great, super responsive, no lag and the best experience I've had ever with MED. Then I installed Imagine 4.0 intger version. I know I can enable softFPU somewhere and I probably could have ran the fpu version of Imagine 4.0 but again, even using the integer version, I have never seen imagine run so damn fast and it renders really fast too. Mind Blown, so excited. Sometime this weekend I'll give fantavision a go.

Using the OS is such a pleasure. I've very excited. I was a little disappointed to see ApolloOS with so many preinstalled games but I guess that's there for the general population to enjoy. I think I'm going to limit my real Amiga hardware to only the games that do not run well on retroPie because I really want to start content creation on the real miggy and not just use it as an overblown games console.

At some point I'm going to have to work on internet access. i have a wifi232 for that. Which brings me to the next annoying thing. RoadShow pop up - ever 5-10 minutes or so a pop up comes up on the screen about the demo version of roadShow and I should buy it. super annoying right now since I'm nowhere near ready for it. Nor do I know if I want to even use roadShow with other free alternatives available. Something I'll need more info on regarding "BANG for the BUCK" vs. "free".

I should add that right now, My amiga sits about 8 feet away from me because the display I had it on doesn't support the modes I wanted but my TV Does. so my long HDMI cable with the USB Keyboard adaptor I got, I attached a wireless a wireless keyboard and amd using a USB adaptor for my mouse as well attached to a USB extension cable. It's only annoying when I need to use the floppy drives.

And then it occurred to me. The 42" LCD screen I'm using on my PC used to be a PC Kiosk. I removed the mainboard long ago and have the chassis insert in the attic. The chassis is more than large enough to accommodate the A500 mainboard. Now I just have to come up with solutions for the internal floppy, SD and CF card, Lights (Power floppy CF activity) and I can most likely fit the entire Amiga inside my computer screen. I'm thinking of a Micro tower case to house the externals like a sort of breakout box.

It's great to be back to the Amiga and have modding projects on the horizon. It's what made me fall in love with the platform years ago and keeping me happy now.
Old 21 July 2017, 19:53   #26
Sinphaltimus

#Team-Apollo to the rescue - I must have had a typo in my mountlist - SD card now fully functional. I'm ecstatic. Loving the vampire thus far.
Old 21 July 2017, 20:56   #27
emufan

for roadshow take a look into your user-startup/startup-sequence,
maybe wbstartup folder. there must be some entry in those places.

report back, about your experiences with some apps you're about to play with
Old 21 July 2017, 21:05   #28
Sinphaltimus

I certainly will - have to run now and get things done afk but just a little while ago....

I ran DPaint, a requester pops up (I haven't run dpaint since the 90s so I don't recall this part) with screen resolutions. i just clicked OK and the system crashed. i tried to repeat the process and the second time an error popped up stating I did not have enough ram for the number of colors I had selected and crashed.

I am running in a 1360x768 TrueColor mode - so i think i need to scale back my settings in that first DPaint pop-up. I just clicked OK when I saw it and I supposed DPaint tried to load up in that screenmode and was like NOPE - 128MBs of ram ain't gonna cut it pal.
Old 21 July 2017, 21:28   #29
Akira

Good luck running Fantavision. That didn't even run in my plain A600. It's old as dinosaurs.
As for DPaint, a newer version should work, which one are you using? Try IV AGA or V
DPaint does not do true color though, you might have to use PersonalPAint. I don;'t think DPV was ever patched for RTG
Old 21 July 2017, 21:50   #30
Sinphaltimus

Well I don't think I can do DPaint AGA yet (Goldv3) - I'll have to check the version of DPain that came with ApolloOS. I don't need DPaint in such a high color mode, i was just lcik happy. I'll try fantavision in about an hour or so.
Old 22 July 2017, 00:13   #31
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Good luck running Fantavision. That didn't even run in my plain A600. It's old as dinosaurs.
Well, Much to my disappointment, Fantavision isn't working for me either. It opens but then fails with an error code that I didn't take a picture of. I even tried fantaplayer and it just freezes. I wonder why that is. Have you research the issue when you ran in to it on your A600?

EDIT:
Well, I found a great work around.

Before going to the vampire I replicated my original Amiga setup in Win UAE by copying all the files over in to folder on my Pc and setting them up as drives/partitions in winuae - so I have a perfectly working Amiga setup of my real Amiga pre-Vampire and fantavision works there. So for my FV needs I guess I'll have to stick with emulation.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 22 July 2017 at 00:48.
Old 22 July 2017, 09:27   #32
nogginthenog
Amigan

Try this:

http://cd.textfiles.com/amigama/amig...sso96/FAQ.html

Q: Is there no way to get DPaint to work with non-planar Picasso96 modes?
A: All those who want to use DPaint with Picasso96 should use ModePro and tell it to "force planar" screens.
Old 22 July 2017, 11:47   #33
Sinphaltimus

Ah, and I also see somethting in there about another app incompatibility due to stacks being too small. The answer was to use iprefs? Fantavision sets a stack in its own startup sequence. I wonder if playing with stack will feel it. I should read about stack and p96.
Old 22 July 2017, 11:50   #34
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Well, Much to my disappointment, Fantavision isn't working for me either. It opens but then fails with an error code that I didn't take a picture of. I even tried fantaplayer and it just freezes. I wonder why that is.
i have no clue, it's working here in emulation wb/kick 3.0 A1200 030/882 jit.
some of the old apps just run from booting the floppy image, so you should test this too.

if you can, report those problems/crashs to the Apollo-Core team.
include the name of the disk image/version you are using, makes things easier to reproduce.
Old 22 July 2017, 11:54   #35
Sinphaltimus

Great idea. Will do. I gave it working fine in emulation as well under wb3.1. I could also try different adfs to see if it's consistent.
Old 22 July 2017, 12:01   #36
demolition
Unregistered User

I wouldn't expect Fantavision to be able to use RTG but instead open up a screen on ECS, so perhaps that is why it seems to freeze? Increasing the stack size should not matter. If it is high enough for one system, it should also be for another.
Old 22 July 2017, 13:48   #37
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I wouldn't expect Fantavision to be able to use RTG but instead open up a screen on ECS, so perhaps that is why it seems to freeze? Increasing the stack size should not matter. If it is high enough for one system, it should also be for another.

full story here and yes it open on RGB screen - http://forum.apollo-accelerators.com...php?f=7&t=1789
Old 22 July 2017, 15:27   #38
emufan

Quote:
full story here and yes it open on RGB screen - http://forum.apollo-accelerators.com...php?f=7&t=1789

just for my own understanding: the freeze is not the issue, with switching from hdmi to rgb out?
Old 22 July 2017, 15:32   #39
Sinphaltimus

Does not appear to be - it opens in rgb.
Old 22 July 2017, 15:34   #40
emufan

Quote:
Does not appear to be - you can get full details here - http://forum.apollo-accelerators.com...php?f=7&t=1789
Quote:
they freeze the system
ok, my bad. should have read more carefully

for the stack issue, you should increase the stack to 15000 in the icon information of fantavision.
doing it in the cli will only increase the stack for the cli process.
but as mentioned above, this is unlikely to be the issue.
AdSense AdSense