English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 30 July 2003, 15:55   #1
Belial

Whdload and non-dos Caps Images

Hey,
first of all I'd like to thank Toni and all the other great guys here that keep the amiga spirit alive. I'm not quite sure if my problem is a Winuae problem or a problem with the caps-user library. I tried to install some games using Whdload and it worked just fine with dos disks. But if you try to use non-dos disks such as Rick Dangerous, the imager program (dic, i think) just refuses to read the tracks. Is there a workaround or isn't it just yet possible? Thx for your help...

Old 30 July 2003, 16:12   #2
fiath

The only reason I can think of, is the WHDLoad install perhaps not supporting the version of the game that we released... There shouldn't be any difference between AmigaDOS legal disks, and those that are not.
Old 30 July 2003, 16:42   #3
Belial

Ok,
sorry, seems to be my fault. I just checked Rolling Ronny which whdload install only supports the Coverdisk version (which the caps release is not, I guess) and my Rick Dangerous 2 caps version seems to be broken, as the error dic states prevents the game from running under emulation also. But thx anyway...

Old 30 July 2003, 16:47   #4
IFW

There is zero difference between any disk formats, the library have no idea whatsoever of what is actually being used.
Out of curiosity I've just tried to install RD and the imager worked. It is a completely different matter, that the version itself was obviously different from the one whdl expected, possibly ran into a Copylock check.

You possibly have a problem with your setup, or you do not use the latest caps library, or you try to directly read the ipf file instead of inserting it into the disk drive, you do not use 100% compatible settings or... Your desciption of the problem is quite lacking even to guess the rest.
Alternatively you run the latest uae, which has a few instructions/cpu flags screwed, just try under the previous public version of winuae, not the latest one to see if that is the problem.
Old 30 July 2003, 16:52   #5
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Belial
my Rick Dangerous 2 caps version seems to be broken, as the error dic states prevents the game from running under emulation also.
Hmm, I am not sure how DIC could determine if the IPF has been damaged or not... But anyway, try grabbing the WinUAE config from our site, do what IFW suggests, then try to boot the IPF itself and see if that works.
Old 30 July 2003, 17:00   #6
IFW

After your next post I had tried RD 2 as well (you stated RD originally) and indeed the disk imager is either broken or is for a budget version, as it seems to try to read 0.1 as ADOS, while it is in fact Copylock.
It obviously fails and quits the imaging process.

However... create a standard 1.3 setup for uae (see our site for a hint, and don't forget to change the rompath there), insert the ipf and off you go playing
Unless you really have a broken image, that is.

The original Rick Dangerous 2 image is:
1049304 bytes, crc32: 6dfbf04d

Last edited by IFW; 30 July 2003 at 17:14.
Old 30 July 2003, 17:03   #7
IFW

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
Hmm, I am not sure how DIC could determine if the IPF has been damaged or not... But anyway, try grabbing the WinUAE config from our site, do what IFW suggests, then try to boot the IPF itself and see if that works.
Simple: it can't. Belial is mistaking something with something completely different. I guess it is the error message when the imager tries to read 0.1 (Copylock) as ados, and it does not find the ados sector header
Old 30 July 2003, 17:54   #8
Belial

Yes, yes,
I'm dumb. Ok, I couldn't get Rick Dangerous 2 to run under 0.8.22R8 at all and as the hdinstall didn't work either I figured it could have something to do with the image, but you're right, it's fine and works flawlessly under R7. I even got the hd-install to work a bit now. Just invoked dic manually and skipped the bad sector. Don't know if it is completely playable from hd this way, but this could be my project for the upcoming weekend. Again thx@all for the quick help...

Old 30 July 2003, 21:26   #9
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally posted by Belial
Yes, yes,
I'm dumb. Ok, I couldn't get Rick Dangerous 2 to run under 0.8.22R8 at all and as the hdinstall didn't work either I figured it could have something to do with the image, but you're right, it's fine and works flawlessly under R7.
Just curious...
Did he mention before that it works without problems under R7? If yes, where?
(I guess: via PM, because I can't for the life of me find it in this thread)

Last edited by andreas; 31 July 2003 at 03:06.
Old 31 July 2003, 01:27   #10
Fjrb

Quote:
Originally posted by IFW
Alternatively you run the latest uae, which has a few instructions/cpu flags screwed, just try under the previous public version of winuae, not the latest one to see if that is the problem.
Here?
Old 31 July 2003, 03:05   #11
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
DOH!...he wrote around it, I searched for '7' because I was expecting 'R 7' or 'R7'
You can see I work a lot with databases usually, so I already adapted this way of thinking (SELECT * FROM ... WHERE text LIKE '%R7%' OR text LIKE '%R_7%')
Thanks.