English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 01 July 2020, 10:44   #61
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
now I don't care about this whole f'king world anymore. What is COVID-19 ?
Parts of this discussion reminds me of a subdued hip hop song from 1991, check those lyrics :
https://genius.com/Pm-dawn-reality-u...of-mine-lyrics
Old 01 July 2020, 12:14   #62
PeterK

I must admit, I always have a lot of problems to understand lyrics, even more if they are poetical or too cryptic. So, I prefer to listen to the music only.

It's probably better if I don't start to explain my philosophy here and what I think about life. Most people will just get confused or may feel offended. Best I can do is to keep my mouth shut, because I can't change the world anyway.

It's a bit like what AMIGASYSTEM recently said in another thread:
Quote:
Stop the world, I want to get off
although I'm sure his intention was quite different.
Old 01 July 2020, 13:38   #63
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Why would you ever go out anyway? I stay indoors for years now and would never bother to go out, pandemic or not.

P.S. No economy = no health care? That's surely an interesting debate, but sadly it's not being discussed fairly. Food for thoughts: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/o...epression.html
Issue with USA and healthcare is that ONLY here healthcare is connected to work, so loosing job also means you loose your coverage. I think that is just now that people realize how stupid this whole idea is.

Really, is whole Amiga community anti social?
Old 01 July 2020, 17:08   #64
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Ok, a few pointers :
  • U.S. political authorities (you know who) don't simply ignore Covid-19 consequences, it's just that encouraging task force to stay at home is strongly against their beliefs, the dude explained it in some interview right after the first lock down measures (bear some similarities with Brazil situation), in French, we say, it's not in their inner software, which amounts to it's literally inconceivable to purposefully halt the economy in their frame of mind
  • It is not unlikely that "May-June" occurrence of the infection may be less harmful / deadly than "April March" one so to speak, surely the number of daily deceased is impressing but it must be correlated with the ever growing number of infected people aka if you go for herd immunity, don't fret, go for it (not my personal view)
  • I am with TCD and a few others, the less real life social interaction occurs, the better (quality over quantity), putting one's trust into someone who doesn't really care for you (for your belongings, for your relatives, doesn't need to be the kind of care / affection disinterested or loved ones bring you) can end up in big disappointment these days
  • No one forces you to stay at home IMHO, at least here in France, one may engage into quite a few outdoor activities as long as social distancing is taken into account, surely, going to a bar wearing a mask and not being able to order any alcohol beverage sounds boring (I am thinking about what took place in Texas recently), this said, everything will go back to normal eventually (minus the employment rate unfortunately), just give it time
  • One common misconception I noticed some prominent Economists abide by on the matter is that they seem to boil down the economy to a living body of sorts, investments / household spending being the fluids, Stock Exchange the heart (hope I am making some sense), fluids should stop flowing for some reason ? Everything ought to come down, assuming the human body can't survive more than a few minutes without its fluids flowing (blood, plasma...) nice and gentle throughout the body, this criticism especially concerns French Economists regarded as experts in their respective field I must say, their views are so simplistic sometimes, it's baffling (bring back a two-digit inflation rate, heavily tax those beefy savings incidentally hoarded during lock down, oh my... )

Last edited by SquawkBox; 02 July 2020 at 00:32.
Old 02 July 2020, 01:00   #65
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
That really makes me sad to learn that.
Don't worry, I might have been sarcastic. But right now I'm not going anywhere where you are indoors with more than 5 people within 2 hours. Plus wearing a mask (or a mouth-nose-cover-to-protect-them-not-me™) when I really need to get out.

@Anubis
I know Having anyone considering to remove the tiny bit of health insurance for those without a job is just
Old 02 July 2020, 13:41   #66
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Sadly, millions of people here don't have healthcare insurance and there is no such a thing as universal healthcare for everyone. Add to that price of medication that is higher then anywhere else in the world... and you are in for very bad situation and results we see with corona killing more people here then anywhere else in the world.
Old 02 July 2020, 14:14   #67
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
In absolute value you are correct, but if you check per capita (death/1M pop), as of today, the USA is behind my country (France), with 395 against 457:
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...=homeAdvegas1?
(not sure how reliable this site is, but the figures for France seem correct compared to what we hear in the news).

Here healthcare is almost universal. Figures might change in the next weeks obviously.
Old 03 July 2020, 03:43   #68
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

At the moment that might be true, but keep in mind, while most other countries got pandemic under control, we did not. If you check graphs for daily new cases, you will find that all countries except USA, Brazil and Russia (not sure I could trust anything from there, specially no information that might make Putin look bad) have few new cases. Today we are first time above 50K new cases per day, and this seems like just bad start to already bad summer. Most cases are in south, but with too early reopening I doubt we will be spared this spike.

What kind of people live here... check this...

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Anubis; 03 July 2020 at 05:45.
Old 03 July 2020, 05:33   #69
BullyDog

The state I live in is one of the hard hit. I'm not too happy about it.
Old 03 July 2020, 06:09   #70
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyDog View Post
The state I live in is one of the hard hit. I'm not too happy about it.
I feel for you there in the Lone Star State.

The company I work for is based in Irving and I have been working remotely for over a decade so this isn't any change for me.

I also thank the lucky stars that I have a full time gig still and in fact business has picked up as the POS that I support does delivery service really well.

Since I'm also doing caretaking duties for my Father after his stroke I kind of have to be home bound.

Just got him a new 65 inch 4K TV which he is enjoying a lot now, it does indeed look better then the old 1080p TV we used to have.
Old 07 July 2020, 13:46   #71
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

I wish my father wants to stay home and watch TV.
Old 07 July 2020, 14:24   #72
Hewitson

We are now in a 2nd wave of infection in Victoria, Australia. Locked down for the second time because people are selfish assholes.
Old 07 July 2020, 14:43   #73
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
We are now in a 2nd wave of infection in Victoria, Australia. Locked down for the second time because people are selfish assholes.
So what else is new in regards to peeps in general

Stay safe out there

And of course you enjoy some Dennis Leary while you are at it.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old Yesterday, 16:22   #74
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
So what else is new in regards to peeps in general
Absolutely nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo
Stay safe out there
Doing my best. Same to you mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo
And of course you enjoy some Dennis Leary while you are at it.

[ Show youtube player ]