English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 July 2018, 01:51   #61
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Edit: Pimping my B&W C64. Tomorrow I'll see what kind of heatsink/fan I'll be using on the SIDs and VIC II:

Edit: Overkill? I like this fan:

Old 29 July 2018, 01:53   #62
Starglider 2

Never Overkill! Looks very futuristic, which the C64 always was.
Old 29 July 2018, 02:07   #63
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

BTW I want to recommend these very cheap heatsinks:

https://www.ebay.es/itm/12pcs-Black-...72.m2749.l2649

About the fan, I'm not sure yet if I'll keep it. It gives few room for the keyboard cable and then it makes some pressure on the case to close it. I'll see if I can move that cable and put in in another way or if not I'll use thinner fans. This Nvidia runs ok and also the VIC II is ok though. I have to say that the Nvidia cooler gets hot, but it's clear that it dissipates heat there.

Edit: I've seen now why the case wasn't closing right. It wasn't the keyboard cable, it was the Nvidia cooler touching the keyboard.... But I've also seen that the SidFX that I'm using had a riser that I don't need, so now it will close perfect

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 August 2018 at 02:18.
Old 29 July 2018, 02:08   #64
Starglider 2

Wow that is cheap!
Old 29 July 2018, 02:18   #65
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

And they fit perfect as you can see and they are tall and should dissipate more heat than the ones that you use to see for C='s.

I believe that Jan Beta used some aluminium color ones, but black is better to dissipate heat.

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 August 2018 at 02:19.
Old 30 July 2018, 02:21   #66
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
He writes that it is a C64 board in a C16 case, but it could be a mix of a painted C64 bottom with a C16 top, however I think it is a C16 bottom as well which he has cut to fit.
Look at this great performance of him:

[ Show youtube player ]

What you also can see is the difference in the color in both sides of his C64/16.

I hope that tomorrow I'll make a video with my B&W C64/16, my black Ultimate II and a black monolith beside

Edit: I've seen now why the case wasn't closing right. It wasn't the keyboard cable, it was the Nvidia cooler touching the keyboard.... But I've also seen that the SidFX that I'm using had a riser that I don't need, so now it will close perfect..

OMG yep, it is closing perfect. I had to wait for the thermal paste on the SID chips to dry before trying to close it

Last edited by Retrofan; 30 July 2018 at 23:34.
Old 31 July 2018, 02:06   #67
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

As promised, a new "cutre" (crappy) video with my mobile, now showing my B&W C64/16 with a SIDFX using both SIDS* and a black monolith beside: an external VU meter (yep, you've never seen it and yep, it's cheap and also yep, you can also use it in a miggy without any modification ).

[ Show youtube player ]

I've just closed this C= few minutes ago and I'm trying everything working like that. In fact, yesterday I had several problems with this black Ultimate II after the firmware update that I finally fixed and now it works right.

*I'm actually using dual Mono (default) with the SIDFx. By now I don't have any hole in the case to put the switches, but I'm thinking in changing the original military round ones and use some horizontal 3 pins ones instead making the needed holes in the bottom part of the case, so the top part won't have any hole.

Edit: As I know that I'll be seing here and there people using this kind of external VU meter and as I know that they won't tell a word about where did they first saw it just like my C64 using a miniITX or whatever -a couple of years later Raspberry- solutions, or my PSU's using first volts and later dual Volts and current displays that I now see everywhere-, this is where I bought this VU meter :

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/Aiyim...4a2d63c0LE2f4w

The first person to have the idea and to use a Volts display for an old PSU was GIBS. He used it with an original PSU and I was the first one to use it with a more modern PSU.

Edit: Just to update this: I've got these things here: A black empty C64 PSU case (it was hard to get it this way) and two three positions switches.

Last edited by Retrofan; 27 August 2018 at 03:53.
Old 10 September 2018, 23:20   #68
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Update of my black psu:

Now I'm only awaiting to put a on/off switch with a blue led to close it.
So I'll have a black (C16 case) C64, a black C16 datassette with adapter, black 1541 Ultimate II and black PSU.

Edit: I haven't told, but I also have got a C64 white breadbin that in fact I haven't tried yet and I've also bought a white (cream) PSU that I'll have to update just the way I'm doing with this black one.

Edit: For the SidFX I just don't find the slide switches I need (to replace the original military ones) long enough, so I've adapted two three positions/three pins ones that I need to be larger.

You know: cutting, filing, -edit: you better use epoxy- and also sticking some metallic pieces to their sides and painting them black with a permanet marker.
So, yep: I bought four of them just to have two switches:

Last edited by Retrofan; 22 September 2018 at 05:25.
Old 21 September 2018, 02:34   #69
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

So I've glued with epoxy the new three position lateral switches to the C64's bottom side of the case making two holes for them. These are for the SidFX instead of the military original ones:

I'll try them tomorrow. I'm moving the switches while the glue dries just to be sure that they kept in the right position as there isn't more room in the holes than the necessary.

Edit: Oh yes, they work perfect. Now I've just ordered a switchless dual kernal switcher.
And also I've just received this PSU. I haven't finished my black one yet, but I'll do tomorrow I think:

Edit: Nope, they didn't work so well -the modyfied switches- so I'm going to try filing the case internally to have a thinner depth and using the original switches as they are.

Edit: Yep, I did that. I filed the inside of the case where the switches go and they are working perfect now.

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 May 2019 at 22:21.