English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 23 May 2019, 21:30   #1
Hatman

Lightbulb Switchable Onscreen keyboard

I have been working on a small living room PC hooked up to my TV to scratch my retro itch from time to time.
I use LaunchBox (or rather BigBox) as a frontend and already set up a lot of system. Some with Retroarch,
some using standalone emulators.

My one requirement for adding anything to the box is that it has to be controllable purely with my SF30Pro Gamepad.
No Mouse, no keyboard. And i knew adding Amiga games would be a challenge because of that. But Amiga is just too good to leave out.

So i am limiting myself to games wich only require a Joystick to be played on this box, and that is still a lot of great games.
The frustration sets in when you encounter a great game, wich itself is perfectly controllable by a gamepad, but still requires
actual keyboard input to get past a menu or entering a level code.

Flashback is a prominent example. It's easy enough to map Enter/F1 to aditional buttons on my gamepad. But when it comes to
entering a level code, i'm stuck. Because unlike "Another World" Flashback doesn't offer an ingame letter selection but requires
actual keyboard input. For these situation it would be IMMENSELY helpfull if FS-UAE would feature a switchable onscreen keyboard
wich could be navigated with joystick/fire.

Yes, virtual keyboards get in the way.
But it doesn't matter in these situations because all you wanna do is get past that menu and then turn it off again.

Fruit for thought.... and i am very open for alternative solutions ....
Old 24 May 2019, 07:52   #2
Goingdown

Would it be possible to use some kind of virtual keyboard offered by operating system? I have no idea how well that would work with FS-UAE though.
Old 24 May 2019, 10:55   #3
Hatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingdown View Post
Would it be possible to use some kind of virtual keyboard offered by operating system? I have no idea how well that would work with FS-UAE though.
I had that thought too, tried out multiple 3rd party virtual keyboards aswell. But i couldn't find a single one that is controllable by a joystick/gamepad. They all aim at touch-screen users..

Last edited by Hatman; 24 May 2019 at 11:06.
Old 01 June 2019, 11:34   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

On-screen keyboard was actually planned from the start. It just hasn't happened yet
Old 01 June 2019, 11:41   #5
Hatman

That's good to hear.

I've been fiddling with AHK in the meantime and it should be possible to write a script for it but my kung fu isn't strong enough at the moment.
Old 01 June 2019, 19:37   #6
Mikerochip

I use one of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WESO...796104709.html

Just flip it over, the keyboard becomes active, type, and flip it back.