English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 07 April 2012, 12:46   #581
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Doubt CUSA will be around for much longer if they are having to discount that much! Once the customer base (of ten people) buy their custom C64 cases they will flop - I give it a couple of years as Mr. Altman has other business concerns which are propping up CUSA.
Old 13 April 2012, 16:32   #582
keitha1200

Yeah it's a poor joke!! I noticed on one of the other Amiga forums there's going to be a 'Question and Answer' session with the above CEO.

No doubt it's some sort of Google hits scam for the said CEO (to make them sound more credible), but what amazes me, is all the people who are actually willing to participate in a blatantly obvious reseller scam. I'm also very surprised that the site owner and mods (of the undisclosed site) are actually encouraging forum users to engage with this snake oil salesman!

Personally If It was my site? would ban their IP address; if there's any truth in the use of multiple accounts, and their propaganda rather than allowing participating in some type of scam!

It's all going to end sadly (and expensive) for some gullible people.

PS: Glad to see EAB is back-up and running ;o)
Old 18 April 2012, 00:59   #583
Pyromania

We checked and believe it or not they are not using multiply accounts. I was quite surprised that he did not know the MiniMig was already shipping and available.
Old 19 April 2012, 18:11   #584
Turricanx

I'm now the proud owner of a custom built 'Amiga' PC.

Well, actually I just scribbled the word Amiga on my case in crayon... but it's the same thing as CUSA. Plus its a lot cheaper.
Old 19 April 2012, 23:53   #585
keitha1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turricanx View Post
I'm now the proud owner of a custom built 'Amiga' PC.

Well, actually I just scribbled the word Amiga on my case in crayon... but it's the same thing as CUSA. Plus its a lot cheaper.

Weirdly It does remind me of the stuff I was reading, about in relation to Bill and Ted's bankruptcy (i.e. all the different shell companies and transferring IP rights etc).

When I was reading-up on the (on-going) Commodore IP lawsuit, I thought to myself about the court case for the Amiga OS! where Bill and Ted didn't actually produce anything, and the other side did! and how that may or may not have affected the final judgement.

As technically (in a court room, but not the above one) Crayon USA could actually claim to produce something

Ok a little bit of a 'conspiracy' theory, but in the dark mucky room of IP squatting! anything is possible
Old 22 April 2012, 16:48   #586
spannernick
Retro Nuts

I only have two words about CUSA.... HATE THEM...
Old 23 April 2012, 21:47   #587
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Aside from the whole defecating on the Commodore brand thing, I quite like the new Commodore VIC Slim computer-in-a-keyboard. There's an interesting [ Show youtube player ] of it on YouTube, which features simultaneous emulation of the Amiga and C64 at about the 10 minute mark. Looks like quite a capable little machine, albeit at twice the cost of an Atom-based netbook, minus the screen.

Does anyone know if this is a rebadged existing design?
Old 23 April 2012, 22:23   #588
gilgamesh
Linux snob

It is the same case as the Great Wall U310.
Old 24 April 2012, 00:26   #589
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Interesting, thanks. So C-USA's contribution (again) is a shiny new sticker.

I noticed Great Wall have also designed a more advanced follow-up system with a touchpad similar to the Eee PC Keyboard.

Neither of them appear to be on sale in the UK yet so I can't work out the fake-Amiga premium.
Old 19 May 2012, 06:45   #590
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Actually a decently priced 'lookalike' case would really not be a bad idea (not that I would be personally interested, but I see the point). You can buy their C64 case on its own, but of course it's totally overpriced : http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64Select.aspx

Like Indy's father said in the Holy Grail... let it go...
The cases they are using are from Wesena, a Chinese manufacturer of all sizes of PC cases made from Aluminium. The exact case for the Amiga Mini is actually engraved for free with any logo you like if you order 300 from the Chinese factory @ approx $40 or so.

Wesena have a fully legitimate UK operation so you know what? You can make your own HTPC cased identical Amiga Mini

The UK price I believe is £75.

Just so you know ALL their Amiga fantasy type products used Wesena cases like the old A1000 and A2000 models they had on the website.

For me it's a waste of time as the mini-ITX boards that go in such small cases have very limp wristed graphics processors meaning they are useless unless all you do is surf the internet and chat on MSN and basic shit like that. It will NEVER be able to run Battlefield 3 even though it has an Intel i7 CPU.

So basically fast CPU, shit graphics chip, pizza box style case = Mini Atari MEGA ST not Amiga.

edit: here is the blank Amiga Mini case they photoshopped
http://www.wesena.co.uk/product.php/5/2/itx2

And their old A1000 inspired idea is here
http://www.wesena.co.uk/product.php/7/3/e5

They license the cases to other people for re-branding.

Last edited by ImmortalA1000; 19 May 2012 at 07:06.
Old 19 May 2012, 07:03   #591
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Doubt CUSA will be around for much longer if they are having to discount that much! Once the customer base (of ten people) buy their custom C64 cases they will flop - I give it a couple of years as Mr. Altman has other business concerns which are propping up CUSA.
I raised this many times after seeing the joke of a product that is the VIC Mini.

They must have lost a lot of money on the setup costs for manufacturing the C64x and yet the case and keyboard with colour changes to plastics could easily have been used to make a the VIC20x or C16x etc. At least then it would look like the original product.

And if there will be no more custom cases and keyboards like C64x for their newer products like Amiga Mini I can only deduce that they lost a lot of money and are sitting on huge stock piles of the cases and keyboards (which they are trying to sell for just under $400).

I really think they will be bankrupt by Summer 2013 because if they can't clean up with the C64x then their other generic "rubbish PC with sticker on them" products will go down the toilet and their finances are doomed.
Old 30 June 2012, 21:28   #592
imigger
Banned

well i think its a shame that they dont conentrate on bringing something good out like a semi blank amiga 1200 motherboard where you can take some of your parts off your trusty old 1200 and put them on a nice shiny board with the added bonus of a 060 and a ppc chip say 2ghz to run new stuff that would be cool

or just make some custom motherboard to run the old os3.9 but faster with more mem and a video card and make 3d drivers now come on this is what we want and all for 5 pounds and 50 pence.
Old 18 July 2012, 00:54   #593
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Actually a decently priced 'lookalike' case would really not be a bad idea (not that I would be personally interested, but I see the point). You can buy their C64 case on its own, but of course it's totally overpriced : http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64Select.aspx

Like Indy's father said in the Holy Grail... let it go...
*Going back to this issue* The price is actually acceptable considering the keyboard is just totally nothing like a regular PC keyboard. They still managed to screw that up though, they go to get a completely custom keyboard designed and do not get the PETSCII graphics on the keys, add an extra function key(!), use a completely wrong rake/angle for the rows of keys etc.....it's like they sent a wikimedia picture of a breadbin and said "make this!" and....well.

But to make a custom case and custom keyboard in a small batch of say 50 would probably cost more than $345 per unit.

On the Amiga there is no need to use a bespoke keyboard (ignore F11 and F12 ) so it is just a case. I'm guessing even a small run would cost circa £100-150 ($200ish??) plus a good keyboard you can mount yourself in the case by removing it from its casing.

If I had 1000 made I'm not sure I would ever sell all of them even at a loss of £99 to be honest, so I kinda gave up. The first prototype alone would cost ludicrous amounts.
Old 12 November 2012, 14:38   #594
Basquemactee1
Old Fart New WinUAE user

Dunno about this....

Just found this on the net, is it current/old? The spec is high for a machine so cheap, but there's no mention of an WB compatibility whatsoever. Anyone know any more about this??

http://www.commodoreusa.net/cusa_amigamini.aspx

Addendum...

Just found this as part of the same website..

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_ClassicModels.aspx

Last edited by Basquemactee1; 12 November 2012 at 14:40. Reason: adding extra text
Old 12 November 2012, 14:43   #595
s2325
Zone Friend

It's just PC with Amiga logo. You can buy sticker and place it on your PC - same thing. But maybe someone like this soulless box.
Old 12 November 2012, 14:51   #596
Basquemactee1
Old Fart New WinUAE user

If they do then I feel damn sorry for them. Talk about using a classic name just to rip a few more dollars/pounds/euros out of people. Commodore should have stayed dead and buried and not bring out a worthless piece of plastic branded as an Amiga.
Old 12 November 2012, 14:55   #597
s2325
Zone Friend

It's not old Commodore anymore. Different people = different thinking.
Old 09 December 2012, 17:11   #598
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Here we go again

£300+ pc that will sell for triple the price all because of a little funky badge!
Old 09 December 2012, 17:14   #599
TCD

Merge time: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56831
Old 17 January 2013, 15:03   #600
s2325
Zone Friend

according to some links on the other amiga forums, it seems that Barry did indeed pass away this December
http://forums.commodore.net/showthre...=2768#post2768