English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 14 August 2011, 14:58   #401
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

For what they say they are very surprised that they were selling mostly their more expensive products, and that's why they've done this.

I would like to see what motherboard they will use. What I don't understand is that if they change it they should have to change the case, as the connectors won't keep in the same place. I'm intrigued.
Old 14 August 2011, 19:07   #402
gilgamesh
Linux snob

No, micro ATX is a standardized format for motherboards. They just swapped the mobo like you would swap e.g. an Intel for an AMD system in a "normal" case.
Old 14 August 2011, 20:13   #403
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

What mini ITX are compatible with i7 processors? An example?
Old 14 August 2011, 20:51   #404
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Picking a random google hit: GIGABYTE GA-H67N-USB3-B3 around €100,-
Old 14 August 2011, 20:55   #405
Siggy999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
What mini ITX are compatible with i7 processors? An example?
This one is

Intel BLKDH57JG LGA 1156 Intel H57 HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard 10-Pack

Number of Memory Slots: 2×240pinMemory Standard: DDR3 1333/1066PCI Express 2.0 x16: 1Onboard Video Chipset: NoneMax LAN Speed: 10/100/1000MbpsSATA 3Gb/s: 4CPU Type: Core i7 / i5 / i3 / Pentium (LGA1156)Maximum Memory Supported: 8GB
Old 14 August 2011, 20:59   #406
CritAnime

Wasn't the Atom boards they used produced by Jetway?

If so then they may well go for this http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/ipcboard...e=NF98-QM57-LF

With the overheating issues they had with the Atom boards, which after all their bitching about how they designed it to be heat efficient, they slapped another fan inside. But wouldn't the i7's generate more heat?
Old 14 August 2011, 21:10   #407
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Atom D525 has 13 Watt TDP, i7 Sandy Bridge 55-95 Watt.
Old 15 August 2011, 03:42   #408
source
Zone Friend

Does anyone know if the Commodore OS has been finalized?
Old 15 August 2011, 10:19   #409
gilgamesh
Linux snob

The homepage still says
Quote:
Note: Commodore OS 1.0, along with emulation functionality and classic game package, will be mailed to purchasers when available. In the meantime, units come with the Ubuntu 10.10 operating system on CD ready to install.
Old 15 August 2011, 12:21   #410
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

And this is interesting too: " Windows can be launched either from a dual boot menu at start up, or seamlessly integrated within Commodore OS itself. "

And this too:
"Commodore OS will shortly be entering beta testing. If you would like to become a beta-tester, lend your extensive Linux software experience to further developing this exciting new project or are interested in developing software for our upcoming app store, please e-mail lan@commodoreusa.net. Note that for testing, a high bandwidth internet connection will be required and a number of dedicated hard disk partitions will be used. A PC with a 64-bit processor is essential and one that matches our hardware configurations is preferred."
Old 15 August 2011, 12:30   #411
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
And this is interesting too: " Windows can be launched either from a dual boot menu at start up, or seamlessly integrated within Commodore OS itself. "
probably VirtualBox
Old 15 August 2011, 13:02   #412
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
probably VirtualBox
Very, very interesting. I don't like to have to select between OS's in a launcher. So, could I with VirtualBox for example open Linux inside Windows 7?

EDIT: It seems so.

Last edited by Retrofan; 15 August 2011 at 14:29.
Old 15 August 2011, 15:18   #413
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Hahaha, Commodore OS, what a joke! I hope no one is holding out for this, they're going to be sorely disappointed. Commodore USA has no developers, they don't even have market research. If they ever manage to produce anything more than a skinned version of Ubuntu, there's no chance it'll ever take off enough to last, it'll join the ranks of other stupid and funny Linux distributions like Hannah Montana Linux and Bloody Stupid Linux.
Old 16 August 2011, 00:08   #414
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
Hahaha, Commodore OS, what a joke! I hope no one is holding out for this, they're going to be sorely disappointed. Commodore USA has no developers, they don't even have market research. If they ever manage to produce anything more than a skinned version of Ubuntu, there's no chance it'll ever take off enough to last, it'll join the ranks of other stupid and funny Linux distributions like Hannah Montana Linux and Bloody Stupid Linux.
It seems they are waiting for You to make his OS ("If you would like to become a beta-tester, lend your extensive Linux software experience to further developing this exciting new projet").
Old 16 August 2011, 13:06   #415
Allen1

Quote:
It seems they are waiting for You to make his OS ("If you would like to become a beta-tester, lend your extensive Linux software experience to further developing this exciting new projet").
The problem is that there will always be someone daft enough to do it. I don't know anything about programming in Linux although I do like using the Ubuntu setups with firefox etc built in. It seems like the CUSA folk are just as ignorant of the commands as I am hence the need to get those with the knowledge to do the work for them and with it being what it is, it wouldn't cost them a penny.

Let them pay for the programmers to do the work they promised, they are after all a company selling a machine that is meant to have its own operating system.
Old 16 August 2011, 13:18   #416
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Basically it is just the develpment model of Linux. But then CUSA doesn't really spread around the fact that "Commodore OS" will be a Linux distro. On the one hand relying on Linux' community model for their own end and on the other hand obscuring where the OS comes from is a bit uncool.
Old 16 August 2011, 14:39   #417
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

@Siggy

Can have a i7 (waste of money sticking it on a board like that) and a million fans on it The bottle neck remains - i.e. integrated sata controller and video = bag of ass (unless you spend money on a decent board - which I doubt CUSA would do - every dollar counts). You're looking at similar performance from a base line laptop imo.

Please can someone put down the rabid dog that is CUSA? (again )

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritAnime View Post
Wasn't the Atom boards they used produced by Jetway?

If so then they may well go for this http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/ipcboard...e=NF98-QM57-LF

With the overheating issues they had with the Atom boards, which after all their bitching about how they designed it to be heat efficient, they slapped another fan inside. But wouldn't the i7's generate more heat?
This is why CUSA promote the word stupidity on a daily basis. The C64 case was not designed for this amount of heat and to get real airflow into a case that small requires some basic R&D. Infact, the Ultra Small form factor kit we use here at work are noisy as hell (they run at around 70oC) - that's just using a Core 2 Duo so god knows how loud the fans would get with an i7 under load. Oh and add in the 3.5" HDD for even more heat = toasted bread bin C64

Last edited by Paul_s; 16 August 2011 at 14:51.
Old 16 August 2011, 21:22   #418
Siggy999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
@Siggy

Can have a i7 (waste of money sticking it on a board like that) and a million fans on it The bottle neck remains - i.e. integrated sata controller and video = bag of ass (unless you spend money on a decent board - which I doubt CUSA would do - every dollar counts). You're looking at similar performance from a base line laptop imo.
I'm not buying that board, nor would I - nor am I thinking of getting their c64 case (as I've stated much earlier in this thread) - I was simply replying to the poster that asked for an example of a motherboard of that form factor that you could put an i7 on. The tone of that post came across as them thinking such a thing didn't exist, and wished someone to cite an example.
Old 16 August 2011, 21:35   #419
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy999 View Post
I'm not buying that board, nor would I - nor am I thinking of getting their c64 case (as I've stated much earlier in this thread) - I was simply replying to the poster that asked for an example of a motherboard of that form factor that you could put an i7 on. The tone of that post came across as them thinking such a thing didn't exist, and wished someone to cite an example.
t'was just generalizing that ITX boards are very limited in what they offer, but I realise you were just replying to what was said previously
Old 16 August 2011, 21:49   #420
Siggy999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
t'was just generalizing that ITX boards are very limited in what they offer, but I realise you were just replying to what was said previously
Oh I agree, if I'm going to spend that amount of money on processor (and I will be in a few months to upgrade my wifes computer - she works developing 3d models and content), not spending at least an equal amount on a graphics card, and a motherboard to drive them both - and get the most out of them (and adequate space for cooling hardware to protect your investment), seems to me like throwing money in the trash.

The c-64 'remake' as a whole seems to me to be rather impractical and overpriced. To be honest I never expected them to actually produce anything.
I personally would have thought a c-64 keyboard that plugs into a USB port for retro gaming purposes (letting you use it's keyboard and plug old type joysticks into it) would have been a smarter product.

Of course (with a little scouring on ebay for an old parts 64) you can already do that with Keyrah I believe.