English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 October 2018, 02:03   #21
Mstone

Well i just got it in the mail today so i am very happy about that! It is in great shape! It did not come with an accelerator in it which i expected and is okay. My problem right now is that it came with an Australian PSU which I knew it would, but I drove all over today looking for a step up transformer for it to run in our US outlets. I could not find one. I thought it would be easier to find. I am considering taking the cable off of the oem psu and connecting it to a computer psu. I would unsolder the 5 wires from the board of the psu rather than cut the wire off. Has anyone had any luck with this? Would you reccomend it? Id rather do that so i can test the computer out tonight.
And yes, I am looking to do a whole range of activities; web browsing, typing, play music, maybe watch vids if possible, play the simpler demos (not 68060 ones, unless I got a card that has one, and play games on there. I wouldnt be trying to play quake or doom on there, but i did find a 3D construction type game for it that looked interesting that I would maybe want to try out. I definitely want to play the A1200 version of Sim city 2000. Surely that does not require very beefy specs.
Also I thought the FPU helped in other stuff besides graphics too? I would want to use it with some simple 3d graphics

Last edited by Mstone; 12 October 2018 at 03:15.
Old 12 October 2018, 02:05   #22
Mstone

And OS 4 would be awesome to use on it, to be able to do more modern things with the computer. However, I have accepted the reality that I need a PPC card to use it.
Old 12 October 2018, 02:14   #23
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

You can swap the PSU internals, many people use Meanwell PSU's - something like http://www.nightfallcrew.com/15/06/2...-power-supply/
Old 12 October 2018, 02:26   #24
Mstone

Oh that is a good idea! I am just talking short term until I get a better solution. Id like to test the computer tonight and have a few pc psus on hand.
Old 12 October 2018, 03:20   #25
Mstone

Nah ill actually just cut the wires on the inside of the psu where they are separated. Id rather not solder and I can still put it back together and have it look no different from the outside.
Old 12 October 2018, 07:37   #26
Mstone

I did it, and it worked! I now have a working a1200!!! Whoo! It has kickstart 3.1, which is awesome! But oddly enough, it has workbench 2.1 on it! And it has a few interesting programs. Nothing crazy.
Now I need something so that I dont have to switch to ntsc at every bootup, and so I can get color! An Indivision m2 perhaps. And an accelerator board, and flash card hard drive setup and sd card file transfer setup, and a network card and Ill be off and running!
Old 12 October 2018, 10:58   #27
Daedalus

There's a very common Workbench 2.1 setup that's circulated on CF cards for use in A600s and A1200s being used mainly as WHDLoad machines. 2.1 is the latest version that works on both the A600 and A1200 as stock, but upgrading to Workbench 3.1 or later will give some benefits too.

As for the video out, RGB is the simplest to use and the best quality the Amiga can natively produce, but the lack of SCART connections on displays in the US means it's not so common to use. Without that, an Indivision will give excellent output.
Old 13 October 2018, 16:18   #28
Mstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
There's a very common Workbench 2.1 setup that's circulated on CF cards for use in A600s and A1200s being used mainly as WHDLoad machines. 2.1 is the latest version that works on both the A600 and A1200 as stock, but upgrading to Workbench 3.1 or later will give some benefits too.

Oh interesting! I did not see whdload on there, and it is on the internal hard drive. Btw. I like the sound the HD makes, and it boots up rather quick!

As for the video out, RGB is the simplest to use and the best quality the Amiga can natively produce, but the lack of SCART connections on displays in the US means it's not so common to use. Without that, an Indivision will give excellent output.
Could I use and amiga video to VGA cable, and connect that to my VGA to composite video converter box?
Old 13 October 2018, 18:40   #29
Daedalus

It all depends on your VGA converter box. To be honest it's unlikely. A better bet might be a SCART to HDMI converter, and use an RGB-SCART cable from the Amiga. Try to avoid composite if you can - other than RF it's the worst quality signal you can get.
Old 15 October 2018, 05:49   #30
Mstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
It all depends on your VGA converter box. To be honest it's unlikely. A better bet might be a SCART to HDMI converter, and use an RGB-SCART cable from the Amiga. Try to avoid composite if you can - other than RF it's the worst quality signal you can get.
I thought it may be unlikely too. And dont those boxes have latency issues, unless you buy one that costs almost as much as an Indivision? And I want to use a crt screen, and have a perfect little crt tv for this purpose. That is why I want to use composite. I like the way it looks, and I dont really see a quality problem. However. I do know what it is like to have a high res computer through composite on a crt. Reading text was difficult with ththaththat vga converter box. So I could see it I somehow had the A1200 in a higher resolution, then it may look bad. On the flat screen it has diagonal moving lines going through some things, but I wont be using that, unless I feel the need to get an hd quality anyway.
Old 22 October 2018, 22:41   #31
Sephnroth

did they ever release the vampire card for the 1200? I remember seeing a video of dan wood's A600 w/ vampire playing movies.

Or did I imagine that? x_x
Old 23 October 2018, 03:22   #32
Ledfoot

Not yet... We have to keep dreaming... I'll certainly be in line for one when they finally do!