English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 August 2009, 14:44   #1
Jgames

Shinobi bosses

Reading about Shinobi arcade in wikipedia, the article say that boss 2,3, and 4 (helicopter, buddah statues and the red samurai) can be defeated without throwing stars ; i don't know how can this be done, and i've found no hints about this searching the net.
Anyone here knows how?
Old 24 August 2009, 18:25   #2
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgames View Post
Reading about Shinobi arcade in wikipedia, the article say that boss 2,3, and 4 (helicopter, buddah statues and the red samurai) can be defeated without throwing stars ; i don't know how can this be done, and i've found no hints about this searching the net.
Anyone here knows how?
Very interesting Jgames. I've never heard about this... I guess it's done by timing your ninja magic perfectly. I know that on the following:

Helicopter:
You can get atleast 3 hits off from ninja magic.

Buddah Statues:
You can get through them by just using the ninja magic at the perfect time.

Red Lobster:
I've managed to get 4 hits off from ninja magic.

Shinobi is one of, if not my favourite arcade game of all time. Here's a thread where I helped somebody beat the crappy Amiga version by detailing how to do it on the arcades: Shinobi Boss Level 5

Last edited by DamienD; 24 August 2009 at 18:30.
Old 24 August 2009, 18:38   #3
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I know that this is going away from the topic... (sorry) but while everyone is thinking about jgames question can I quickly ask what is the best version of this game?

I agree with DamienD the Amiga version wasn't great... is it a case of playing the original Shinobi arcade version on MAME or is there another platform that offers as good a version?
Old 24 August 2009, 18:48   #4
Jgames

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Shinobi is one of, if not my favourite arcade game of all time.
The same for me here, it's up there with the greatests; along side street fighter 2 ce for me;

Quote:
Helicopter:
You can get atleast 3 hits off from ninja magic.
What would happen if it times out? maybe the trick is the resist until time out? (never tried that)

Quote:
Buddah Statues:
You can get through them by just using the ninja magic at the perfect time.
Yes, i know that trick, but there still the head that throws fireballs.

Quote:
Red Lobster:
I've managed to get 4 hits off from ninja magic.
There still 4 other hits in hardest difficulty, and 1 in easy, (if you die and continue on this boss)

I have no clue how those 3 bosses can be defeated without stars; but i managed many times to kill the first boss on hardest difficulty without magic and without throwing stars; just by jumping and doing a kick to the face (timing is very important here)

I have seen some bizarre things on the arcade shinobi, not seen them on the net:
1 - On the bonus stage, when the perfect letters come down, you still throw stars and maybe you can throw a star on a letter!, this kills the letter and the PERFECT is on screen missing one letter, and the game hangs on this screen! (Seen it once, altought i have seen the letters missing one letter and the game hanging on that, and the music was still playing, i've not seen the shot on the letter itself, but a friend at that time said he did it...)

2 - On the second level where there is the spiderman ninja, if you kill the spiderman while he is still up on the wall, either with the flying kick or the sword, go to the end of the level, and come back to the start of the level, the game will slow down, you'll play in slow motion!; this can be more effective if you do this trick to the three spidermans that are present in the level.
Old 24 August 2009, 21:03   #5
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I agree with DamienD the Amiga version wasn't great... is it a case of playing the original Shinobi arcade version on MAME or is there another platform that offers as good a version?
Not IMHO, definitely play the arcade version. Once you get good at it you can change the DIP switch settings to "hardest" level and "fastest bullets"

Quote:
What would happen if it times out? maybe the trick is the resist until time out? (never tried that)
Yup, this is probably the way it's done. Could be a bit difficult jumping over the rockets and dodging constant flying ninjas but not impossible

Quote:
Yes, i know that trick, but there still the head that throws fireballs.
Exactly. No idea how you'd beat the head on the wall though without ninja stars

Quote:
There still 4 other hits in hardest difficulty, and 1 in easy, (if you die and continue on this boss)
It has to be absolutely perfect timing if ninja magic is the way to achieve this. You'd have to wait until the very last micro second before pressing ninja magic so that you're as close as humanly possible to the striking sword...

Quote:
I have no clue how those 3 bosses can be defeated without stars; but i managed many times to kill the first boss on hardest difficulty without magic and without throwing stars; just by jumping and doing a kick to the face (timing is very important here)
Definitely requires good timing and skill

Quote:
I have seen some bizarre things on the arcade shinobi, not seen them on the net:
1 - On the bonus stage, when the perfect letters come down, you still throw stars and maybe you can throw a star on a letter!, this kills the letter and the PERFECT is on screen missing one letter, and the game hangs on this screen! (Seen it once, although i have seen the letters missing one letter and the game hanging on that, and the music was still playing, i've not seen the shot on the letter itself, but a friend at that time said he did it...)
It's pretty easy to complete the first 3 bonus stages. I usually keep firing ninja stars afterwards but have never consciously hit a letter or seen this effect. Not saying that it doesn't exist though, there are many tricks in arcade games. Some off the top of my head:

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior:
Guile: Stance, Super Freeze, Reset Cabinet, Fake Throw, Reverse Fake Throw
Dhalsim: Disappear

Mortal Kombat:
Jonny Kage: do the fatality, knock the opponent's head off, very quickly do the splits / ball punch and the head is back on.

Quote:
2 - On the second level where there is the spiderman ninja, if you kill the spiderman while he is still up on the wall, either with the flying kick or the sword, go to the end of the level, and come back to the start of the level, the game will slow down, you'll play in slow motion!; this can be more effective if you do this trick to the three spidermans that are present in the level.
Remember hearing something similar. Thanks for the details