English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 August 2009, 11:13   #1
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Cool Ultimate Fallout versions

Dunno if you guys keep track of Fallout community sites like No Mutants Allowed, but my guess is that some of you don't know that the modding spirit is strong with this one!

Not only there are patches fixing multiple bugs still present in the original Fallout and Fallout 2 games, there are also High Resolution Patches (here and here) for both games so you could play it in basically *ANY* resolution!
There's also many mods adding various stuff for both games (here and here), with the TeamX's mods being the best for the 1st game and MIB88 MegaMod 2.35.2 or (as you can't have both installed) The Restoration Project 1.2 for the 2nd part.

Probably by the end of the summer, the Ultimate version of Fallout's 2 Restoration Project will come out, the 1.3 version fixing and adding several things that didn't make it originally to the game due to time limits
Quote:
Originally Posted by killap

1. Improve the dialogue found in all the new RP locations

Dialogue found in these location was inconsistent, sometimes incorrect in terms of cannon, and just plain did not live up to the dialogue found in the rest of the game.

I have been working with Dravean and others in regards to this and I am about 90% done going through the revisions sent to me. So far I feel the dialogue is much improved and flows nearly seamlessly with the rest of the game.

2. Revamp of the EPA (in terms of maps, dialogue, etc)

The EPA is the only RP location we actually have an original design doc for from BIS. The intent of the RP is to stay as true to original BIS intentions as possible and the EPA just didn't come out as it should have.

New maps are in the works and coming along nicely. They truly look amazing and are the product of the talented individual I mention below. Once the maps are done, I will sit down with my RP contributors and go over dialogue and content changes.

3. Enhancements to all maps in the game (both original and RP)

This was something I had not originally planned for. Nearly a year ago I was approached by an extremely dedicated individual who had gone through all the maps in the game and enhanced them to a new level. I cannot describe what the changes are, as it must be experienced firsthand, but I assure you that it is an improvement much for the better. Of course, these maps will be optional as I do not wish to force them on anymore. However, I truly feel that once you play with them you won't ever go back to the old maps.

4. Including the Shi submarine

This is the final massive piece of new content I plan to add to the RP. Inclusion of this is only possible thanks to the amazing graphics work done by Continuum. Without the models he created I would have nothing to go on.

Version 1 of a design doc has been written for this area and hopefully soon a final one will be decided upon. From there, dialogue must be written and then everything coded.

Though I want to include this area in RP 1.3, I cannot make any promises. This release has been delayed for far too long and it really isn't fair to let everyone suffer. I've got the bad habit of trying to cram as much as possible into a release and I need to stop it since it delays releases by far to much time.

5. Cram as much goodness in as possible

This is a miscellaneous section that has no influence on the release date of 1.3. Mostly this is just new animations that are made by the NMA modding community that I have worked into various aspects of the game. Don't worry though as the ones that make the most change are optional.
So stay tuned and get your Fallout 2 disc ready!

PS: Here's a short info on how to "install" both of the games manually if your PC is too new
Old 02 August 2009, 12:58   #2
skateblind
Village Idiot

Would you make a video for me please Shoonay, I can't be arsed to install it just to have a look. If not you, maybe someone else?
Old 02 August 2009, 13:00   #3
Shoonay
Global Caturator

You mean Fallout in general? Plenty of those on youtube already
Old 02 August 2009, 13:04   #4
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
You mean Fallout in general? Plenty of those on youtube already
No, you silly sausage, the mods, the MODS!
Old 02 August 2009, 16:23   #5
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Well you can read what's in them if you REALLY want to spoil the surprise but I wouldn't do that if I were you...
There aren't many things to show off as generally everything looks the same, there's just more of everything.
You know, new locations, new quests, new characters, quests solvable in a different fashion...

Basically, it looks this way:
MegaMod gathers as much as possible in one game of all of the different mods, making Fallout 2 game as different as possible while staying Fallout 2 game.
Try it for yourself, you will be in for a surprise since the first few screens of the game, I can assure you...

Restoration Project is my favorite, as it makes Fallout 2 as it was suppose to be from the beginning, with all the extra locations, and quests, and characters that didn't make it into the final release back in the days due to time limits.
What's even better, folks behind this mod promised a total graphical remade of all of the maps in the newest RP1.3!
Old 03 August 2009, 07:04   #6
demoniac

I never finished Fallout 2 due to a bug.
Old 03 August 2009, 08:19   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
Time to start again then, the game is awesome even without the mods
Old 03 August 2009, 10:54   #8
demoniac

^^^One of these days... I know a couple of people who worked on the first two games. Have a box of Fallout, even though I never bought the game.
Old 03 August 2009, 11:08   #9
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Yes demoniac, whenever you did try to play it, there is a huge chance the bug is history now.
I would really suggest to try again, installing the official patch, then the unofficial patch and finally the Restoration Project mod for the best experience
Old 03 August 2009, 11:24   #10
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
There are some community made patches and mods for Fallout 2 wich will take care of the bugs I remember the car bug where half the car would disappear and get stuck in another town somewhere

I don't know what Black Isle were thinking when they released it with so many serious bugs But it is still an excellent game! Fallout 3 is also excellent but is also another fallout game released with a few dodgy bugs.... this time it's Bethesda's fault... when will they ever learn Fallout 3 is great but i still prefer the oldies with Fallout 2 being my favourite
Old 03 August 2009, 11:26   #11
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
I don't know what Black Isle were thinking when they released it with so many serious bugs
Deadline? Time limit? Release date?
Rings a bell?
Old 03 August 2009, 11:31   #12
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Rings a bell?
I would have preferred to wait a little longer so that they could iron out the bugs and not release an "unfinished" product I am sure many people who bought the game wished Black Isle spent a little longer on it.....but it's probably not entirely their fault! they were rushed because some people wanted to see the money coming in sooner rather than later.... it's a shame that some people are greedy and impatient
Old 03 August 2009, 11:34   #13
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Yeah, and so would wait most of us, but that's not how the money gets made, they want results!
They had 1 (O-N-E!) year to make a sequel to the first game.
IMHO they still did a great job making everything new, sticking to the plot line and creating more and more of everything, don't you think?

But enough about that, hey, who care's, there are patches and mods that make it perfect - don' complain, play it!
Old 03 August 2009, 11:39   #14
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Yeah, and so would wait most of us, but that's not how the money gets made, they want results!
They had 1 (O-N-E!) year to make a sequel to the first game.
IMHO they still did a great job making everything new, sticking to the plot line and creating more and more of everything, don't you think?

But enough about that, hey, who care's, there are patches and mods that make it perfect - don' complain, play it!
Yes it is an amazing game and a great acheivement with only one year in development I must have completed it so many times with the community patches installed and the nice hi-res patch
Old 03 August 2009, 11:46   #15
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
Yes it is an amazing game and a great acheivement with only one year in development
Unlike the "B" company who made the "3" game... ... ...

I'm still waiting for a patch that would make it... playable...

Hey, oh, that reminds me, today is probably the day of the release of the 5th addon! yay.

[ Show youtube player ]

Because there's nothing more Falloutish then grabbing your gun and killing thousands of aliens...
Old 03 August 2009, 14:57   #16
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I remember the car bug where half the car would disappear and get stuck in another town somewhere
Actually that one was already fixed by the official patch There were still some incredibly annoying car bugs left though, for example your car disappearing when entering the raiders hideout... had to leave it in vault city / NCR and then walk all the way over there and back.
Old 03 August 2009, 20:06   #17
demoniac

Quote:
Rings a bell?
Half the team moved on from the project midway. It's a surprise that it was released and worked for the most part.