English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 November 2003, 23:41   #1
Amigaboy

Worms 3D

I've put this into Off Topic. Technically it could have been placed into Retrogaming General Discussion, so if anyone thinks it's better there, move it.

---

http://www.worms3d.com/

Worms 3D has been released in Europe and Australia. I have no idea how old this news is, but my best guess is it wouldn't be more than 2 weeks old.

I haven't played it yet so I can't comment on how playable it is. Worms World Party is the greatest Worms game ever IMO. I hope this one will be just as playable, although judging from the screenshots, it may not be. I only say this because the screens that I've looked at only let you see what the currently selected worm can see, if that makes any sense.

And while I won't stop you, I'd prefer none of this "It's 3D therefore it sux" crap. 3D can, and has been done well MANY times before, so don't discount the game just because it's 3D. The only way of seeing if the game is good or not is playing it yourself.

Old 05 November 2003, 00:32   #2
fisken uno
Zone Friend

No, you're right. Just because it's 3D doesn't necessarily mean that it sucks. BUT the worms concept is SO 2D! It won't be the same at all, it will be a completely different game and honestly I can't imagine a Worms 3D with good playability... I felt that Lemmings lost it's playability value when it turned 3D and Worms will probably do it too. Apart from THAT, I won't be able to play it because it's sys reqs are WAYYY more than I have. But then again who cares? As long as I can play the previous Worms games I'm happy
Old 05 November 2003, 00:52   #3
Dizzy
Pirate

Well not to forget Simon 3D or monkey Island 3D

If the 3D game is the same as the 2D just in 3D in often sux. But if the make a total new game out of it, then it can be cool
Old 05 November 2003, 01:03   #4
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Actually, I kinda liked MI4 (OMG I'm gonna get killed now!!), apart from the fact that you couldn't use the mouse. Grim Fandango is good too.

As long as Lucasarts use their whacky humour I don't care if it's 2D or 3D - it's still good.

BUT Indiana Jones and the infernal machine is a different matter! YUCK! Fucking Tomb Raider clone I'd say.
Old 05 November 2003, 01:13   #5
Dizzy
Pirate

hehehe start flamewar

Well the psx had this worm like game in 3D with Pig soldiers (sorry forgot the name).. It was fun, so if they make worms this way it could be good
Old 05 November 2003, 03:55   #6
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

From what I've heard, the worms concept has travelled well.

Worms World Party on the Dreamcast is SUCH a good 4 player fest that it is very hard to beat (which hasn't happened) but the 3D transitiion is more aesthetic than gameplayatic (haha made up word) apparently.
Old 05 November 2003, 04:06   #7
FromWithin
Music lord

It's very very good. I was up at Team17 a couple of months ago. They've done a great job. They've put quite a lot of effort into the single player game with extra missions and stuff (like where you have to parachute off a big mountain and hit targets on the way down).

I'll be getting it (for free of course, har har har .
Old 05 November 2003, 04:07   #8
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by FromWithin
It's very very good. I was up at Team17 a couple of months ago. They've done a great job. They've put quite a lot of effort into the single player game with extra missions and stuff (like where you have to parachute off a big mountain and hit targets on the way down).

I'll be getting it (for free of course, har har har .
Plz upload to zone
Old 05 November 2003, 04:08   #9
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

And good old Sega got in on it too, the more money they get, the better!
Old 05 November 2003, 04:31   #10
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
And good old Sega got in on it too, the more money they get, the better!
Well I don't think Sega get it, but Sega release it, it's not released on dreamcast
Old 05 November 2003, 07:40   #11
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

As Amigaboy says, 3D can work if done correctly. Been recently playing Maximo on the PS2 by Capcom,(think Ghouls'n'Ghosts in 3D basically), & find it's great fun. The camera panning is a complete pain in the butt,(wrong pans, & can't control it), but despite that the gameplay is very fun & addictive-hopefully the camera angle/panning stuff will be sorted out for the sequel,but Capcom deserves praise for that one-I really regret now giving it a miss when it first came out purely for the 3Dvs2D aspect-like all good things its depends on how it's done.

Sorry for the thread hijacking Miggyboy, just wanted to set the record straight!

Interesting stuff FromWithin, do you know if any of the original Worms design crew had anything to do with it? (Asides from Martyn Brown of course!)
Old 05 November 2003, 08:01   #12
Drake1009

I tried the demo about a week before it was launched.. don't ask me how I got it running I don't know and the demo was labelled w2k and above. I got a couple of error messages in 98 but after some tweaking I actually got it working.

Graphics wise the game has made a nice transition into 3D. I mean it looks very worms ish.

The gameplay on the other hand I didn't really care for. It's still like the classic worms where you each have your turn to move a worm and fire. Only this time it's in 3D. To help you aim in a 3D universe you've got first person view when aiming, and 3rd person when you're moving. I just found it way too hard to judge distance in the game. I couldn't hit anything, not because I couldn't target them, but because I simply shot too far or too short. This might get better with time.

I was quite disappointed with the explosions too. I'm used to having grenades in the worms games blow a nice hole in the ground. Here even the holy handgrenade only left a small hole in comparison with the grenades from older worms games. This is probably due to the fact that to get everything fitted into a 3D world they had to downsize the width and length of it and then large explosions would probably be no good.

All in all the game got incredibly much harder thanks to the problem with depth perception (that's an issue in all 3D games), there were a couple of things I was not quite thrilled about, but other than that the game seems to have made a quite nice transition into 3D
Old 05 November 2003, 08:26   #13
Tim Janssen

Post Worms 3D review

Worms 3D has arrived in The Netherlands and we all know it. Yesterday almost every newspaper had a Worms 3D-ad on the front page.

I have read a review of Worms 3D in my monthly PC-magazine and it was slagged off. The main criticism was that the 2D-concept (playable, good overview) is not that playable in 3D. The controls are irky and the worms cannot dig anymore.
A demo of the game was also featured on a DVD that came with the mag. I haven't tried it yet. I am too busy playing the demo of Judge Dredd versus Doctor Death which is simply awesome.
Old 05 November 2003, 08:59   #14
RCK
Administrator

Worms 3D is not bad (especially pc version with lan support), another concept to play worms for me, not a replacement.

+ concept, always excellent
+ new tacs, new weapons
+ multiplayer
+ worms' spirit

- less "precise" than 2d (especially weapon's targeting)
- bad random level generator
Old 05 November 2003, 11:48   #15
Bloodwych

Hasn't "worms 3D" already been done in the guise of the PSX game "Hogs of War"?
Old 05 November 2003, 14:09   #16
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
Hasn't "worms 3D" already been done in the guise of the PSX game "Hogs of War"?
Yes that's the game I couldn't remember the name on. Thx
Old 05 November 2003, 14:18   #17
Bloodwych

Yep it was a good multiplayer game Dizzy, but it was the hilarious Rik Mayall voice overs that really stood out!

Getting people with the "madness gas" in the "bowl of death" made from some great scenes!
Old 05 November 2003, 14:36   #18
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally posted by Dizzy
Well I don't think Sega get it, but Sega release it, it's not released on dreamcast
Sega got the publishing rights for the game (in europe at least) so they'll get cash from it!
Old 05 November 2003, 14:43   #19
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
Sega got the publishing rights for the game (in europe at least) so they'll get cash from it!
Yes like I said. Cool that Sega got some money, they're still in our heart (MD will never die )
Old 05 November 2003, 14:55   #20
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7
Interesting stuff FromWithin, do you know if any of the original Worms design crew had anything to do with it? (Asides from Martyn Brown of course!)
Team17 is a great company. Everyone there is so happy that hardly anybody ever leaves. So yes, some of the original guys were working on it.