Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 February 2010, 01:14   #1
Djay
95th User

Website Ideas

I have a website

breakpointuk.com

breakpointuk is my XBL and PSN name btw

at the moment its just about some modern games i like and what i am playing, a bit of history and not much else

i am thinking of changing to a site devoted to the Amiga

what i would like to know is... what you like an Amiga site to feature?
Old 25 February 2010, 10:37   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
what you like an Amiga site to feature?
Hmm, shouldn't you know that? Sorry, but there are a lot of sites with some random Amiga content already and they aren't very interesting to read. Maybe it's a better idea to search for a project that you like, join it and also offer them to host their site Anyway, good luck.
Old 25 February 2010, 10:52   #3
mombasajoe

I totally agree. The right way should be: I have an idea. I decide that a website could be the best media to realize the idea. The other way round sounds strange to me?
Old 25 February 2010, 12:33   #4
Rogueraven

be nice if you could create a site thats domain was www.Commodore-Amiga.com and the about us page had a complete history of the compnay since 1985 and its up and coming projects for 2010
Also a nice link to its UK Suppliers of the latest Amiga Computers that took the smile off Bill Gates face oh and on the side of each page little advertisements like AmigaOS7 was my idea would be good too

But yea i think there are projects within the Amiga community already that you could team up with and put your space to good use
Old 25 February 2010, 22:38   #5
Djay
95th User

well..

the reason i want to know what people want, is because there are already lots of Amiga sites that have random stuff, that arent very interesting

indeed its a reverse of the typical way of starting a site, but the idea is to give the Amiga community what they want

i was thinking of a PD site... designed like one of the adverts in the Amiga magazines or even in a the style of a magazine review... so there would an article which reviews the title and also supplies a link to a ADF... (and there would be a link to an archive which would could be directly accessed by people on the net using their Amiga)
Old 25 February 2010, 22:51   #6
BippyM
Global Moderator

A decent amiga programming resource!
Old 26 February 2010, 00:22   #7
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
A decent amiga programming resource!
i am not a decent coder and would not be able to offer advice etc... or do you mean more like downloadable applications/languages and pre-made guide on how to code

nice to see you after such a long time, bip
Old 26 February 2010, 00:50   #8
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
....or do you mean more like downloadable applications/languages and pre-made guide on how to code
That's what I would like to see - especially as I'm currently dabbling with C/C++

Dave G
Old 26 February 2010, 01:21   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Djay

this really comes down to what interests you have in the amiga, you could for example look at building a resource repository, like a coding, music (mod), applications, demo's etc

Have a good look around the web and see whats out there for the amiga that interests you, review thier work in this area and how your work will imrpove on it for the community and your interest.

This is no mean feat you are looking at here, respository sites and review sites are a constant level of evolution, maintainence and addition. before you start, I would suggest you look at howmany hours a week you want to devote to your project and would it help if you could have help.

I will say that there is plenty already out there, but on the flipside, theres plenty still left to do.

A lot of my Retro-Gaming friends have started blogs and youtubes on retro-gaming and thier computer / consoles of passion, this is also a good way to get into a project, but by and large, you need to get into a project that inspires you. one that you can donate a lot of time for....

The beauty is once you have built content on project this can be used in other projects down the line or subsequently...

for instance, reviewing an application or game, makeing pics and vids will also provide a guide into the application / game. you could look at taking snippets and releasing a specific MediaCD for the Amiga, all this thinks...

so get out there get those creative juices flowing....
Old 26 February 2010, 20:08   #10
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
i am not a decent coder and would not be able to offer advice etc... or do you mean more like downloadable applications/languages and pre-made guide on how to code

nice to see you after such a long time, bip
Good to see you back Djay.. It's been a while..

A resource centre would be good with a foum split into the differing programming sections.

There is no definitive area for amiga resource and stuff.. I havbe so much stuff on HD that can be uploaded!
Old 26 February 2010, 23:34   #11
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
I`d like to see a whats happen`d this week on EAB, Amibay and the other place
Old 27 February 2010, 12:15   #12
Rogueraven

take the best from all the rest that you like front those things in your own way. and add sections too that, that maybe other people have requested i think would be the best way to go about it. that way your happy and you would be trying in someway to make others happy.

At the end of the day if your going to be doing something your general not wanting to put up there at the request of others then your not having fun. i'm not selfish i just feel from my experience things go slower if you lack a interest so you sometimes need to go back to something of interest to aid you to do the thing that isn't of interest.
Old 27 February 2010, 12:48   #13
Bloodwych

I think it would be nice to create a site dedicated to both - modern gaming and Amiga.

The home page could have a picture of an Amiga and a modern console, side-by-side. Click on one or the other to take you to the different sites.

In each site, you could have links to youtube videos! Like the best musical games, best graphical, multiplayer games etc.

Ok, perhaps not what you were looking for, but I thought I'd throw a few ideas just in case any stuck.
Old 28 February 2010, 00:33   #14
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
I think it would be nice to create a site dedicated to both - modern gaming and Amiga.

The home page could have a picture of an Amiga and a modern console, side-by-side. Click on one or the other to take you to the different sites.

In each site, you could have links to youtube videos! Like the best musical games, best graphical, multiplayer games etc.

Ok, perhaps not what you were looking for, but I thought I'd throw a few ideas just in case any stuck.

man thats a nice idea, but my modern gaming is very selective... having played games since 84, i tend to know what i like so my choices are limited

but maybe, come to think of it, we are seeing a lot of remakes on XBL and PSN... Alien Breed - Fantastic Top Down Modern Version for example

and then do a kinda Old and New review
Old 28 February 2010, 20:47   #15
Bloodwych

That sounds like a great take on it Djay.

Something different too.
Old 28 February 2010, 21:51   #16
Djay
95th User

i would imagine that there are a lot of xbox360, wii, ps3 owners that are playing these remakes, i guess they might search for reviews for the new games and find my site might encourage them to try the original or indeed get back into the Amiga scene