English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 29 August 2008, 10:41   #1
Gooberslot

Diskspare isn't working with Winuae

I don't know if anyone else has ever tried to get diskspare to work under WinUAE but I'm having problems. Under 1.5 I can get it to semi-work by turning off the JIT compiler. I use the term semi-work because it keeps popping up error messages but if I keep clicking retry it'll eventually complete, with jit on it just hangs. I noticed there was a new version 1.51 but that actually made things worse. Now it gets stuck on the error (usually track 41 sector 984-986) and won't complete no matter how many times I retry. I've also tried running at A500 speed using my old Workbench disk (that worked on my real Amiga) and that didn't work either.

Old 29 August 2008, 16:20   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Are you trying to format diskspare disk images or read already existing diskspare images? (I quickly tried to format one ds disk image and it seems to work fine)

diskspare.device version? Mountlist/dosdriver entry?
Old 29 August 2008, 22:56   #3
Gooberslot

Formatting works fine, it's when I try to read or write from them that the problem starts. I'm using version 3.3 on my main hdf and version 3.0 on my old Workbench disk. The DOSdriver entries are the default ones that are installed when I installed diskspare, I haven't changed them.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I'm using Workbench 3.1. My settings while using my hdf image are 68020 w/ 68882, 2mb chip, 64mb fast, fast as possible but maintain chipset timing, AGA, NTSC and of course Picasso96. I already mentioned I tried it with JIT on and off. My old workbench config is 68000, 1mb chip, 8mb fast, A500 speed, ECS Agnus, NTSC. The only difference between that and my real amiga is the addition of more fast ram (my original only had 1mb of fast ram) and my old Amiga ran at 14mhz but there's no way to simulate that with WinUAE.

Old 31 August 2008, 00:13   #4
Gooberslot

Well, I've been trying a few different things. At first it seemed like switching from NTSC to Pal was working but I was wrong. The random nature of the problem is making me wonder if maybe it's my system. I would test on a different computer but the fact that WinUAE no longer supports Win9x prevents that.

One thing I've discovered that always seems to work is turning on cycle-exact mode. I just got through copying a bunch of files back and forth between 2 different DS disks about 8 times without any problems.

Old 31 August 2008, 13:00   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Will debug later, other more important things to do first.