English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 March 2024, 19:07   #1
FerociousAmiga

Question PiStorm... which OS (WB3.2, CaffeineOS, CoffinOS)?

Hello all,

Have a PiStorm w/ RPi Zero 2w.

1.- What OS would best to use and why?
2.- There seems to be pre-made PiStorm images for CaffeineOS, CoffinOS but not for WB3.1 or WB3.2. I do own licensed WB3.2.

Thanks is advance.
Old 25 March 2024, 01:43   #2
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

If you own Amiga OS 3.2 then go with that.
I've always preferred to install and customize my own OS then go with any of the "pre-mades".
Old 25 March 2024, 03:26   #3
klx300r

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_sk View Post
If you own Amiga OS 3.2 then go with that.
I've always preferred to install and customize my own OS then go with any of the "pre-mades".
+1
Old 25 March 2024, 15:45   #4
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

"Pre-mades" as made reference to, are significantly faster in operation.

From my experiences & in terms of Speed of Operation of said pre-mades;

CaffeineOS, CoffinOS, AmiKitPi, WB3.2 install....

I have not tried a WB3.9 install though & the fastest version above is based on the 3.9ROM afaik.

Your entire hardware configuration's mileage will vary.
Old 25 March 2024, 15:53   #5
Daedalus

Another vote for doing a standard installation and then customising it with whatever addons / hacks / patches you feel you need.
Old 25 March 2024, 16:14   #6
talybont

It depends on your skill level and/or your desired end result.
Old 25 March 2024, 17:35   #7
cloverskull

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but I /think/ you can boot from an SD card. So why not install each OS on its own cheapo SD card and boot from whichever tickles your fancy that day?

That said I agree with everyone else that building my own Workbench has always been fun for me. But if I wanted something turnkey I guess I'd use CaffeineOS.
Old 25 March 2024, 17:37   #8
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverskull View Post
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but I /think/ you can boot from an SD card. So why not install each OS on its own cheapo SD card and boot from whichever tickles your fancy that day?

That said I agree with everyone else that building my own Workbench has always been fun for me. But if I wanted something turnkey I guess I'd use CaffeineOS.
Exactly that....
Old 26 March 2024, 09:47   #9
Dunny

Caffeine is fantastic for getting up and running fast. Keep it on a spare 32GB uSD card and it's always there in case of emergencies.

For me, however, I like to set up my own - a 512GB uSD card with WB3.2.2 and everything customised to my liking with MagicWB instead of glowicons, Workbench instead of Opus 5 etc etc. With Caffeine I was constantly trying to find where things were being configured/set so I could remove the things I didn't like.
Old 26 March 2024, 10:19   #10
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Caffeine is fantastic for getting up and running fast. Keep it on a spare 32GB uSD card and it's always there in case of emergencies.

For me, however, I like to set up my own - a 512GB uSD card with WB3.2.2 and everything customised to my liking with MagicWB instead of glowicons, Workbench instead of Opus 5 etc etc. With Caffeine I was constantly trying to find where things were being configured/set so I could remove the things I didn't like.
On the default install of Caffeine OS, there is an option on the top Dopus 5 Menu bar to boot the OS without the Opus 5 overlay. This in essence it like booting from a normal Workbench experience/environment.

The Opus 5 overlay can be a little overwhelming to newcomers.
Old 26 March 2024, 11:13   #11
demether

amiga os 3.2, rom 3.2, all the way !
Old 08 April 2024, 15:18   #12
CubeTheory

Just thought I'd jump on this. I'm mainly running AmiKit for PiStorm. sure it's a paid for distro but it is very refined. everything just works and there is some really neat features that make managing your set up rather easy.

The thing is you can run an SDCard extension out of the machine and just swap cards. I run a Pi 3a so this is super stable though I believe that is not necessarily the case with the pi4, or alternatively you can multi-boot a single SD card.

I have a CaffeineOS card and I recently grabbed Coffin for PiStorm, but haven't tried it yet.

I do have my own AmigaOS 3.2 install, but I suck at getting it to look nice!

On that note, if anyone has any good tutorials on that, please share! every time I try I end up making a mess!!
Old 09 April 2024, 14:27   #13
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeTheory View Post
Just thought I'd jump on this. I'm mainly running AmiKit for PiStorm. sure it's a paid for distro but it is very refined. everything just works and there is some really neat features that make managing your set up rather easy.

The thing is you can run an SDCard extension out of the machine and just swap cards. I run a Pi 3a so this is super stable though I believe that is not necessarily the case with the pi4, or alternatively you can multi-boot a single SD card.

I have a CaffeineOS card and I recently grabbed Coffin for PiStorm, but haven't tried it yet.

I do have my own AmigaOS 3.2 install, but I suck at getting it to look nice!

On that note, if anyone has any good tutorials on that, please share! every time I try I end up making a mess!!
Workbench 3.1.4 came with BestWB via six.adf files.

Try your 3.2 Install & then install Best Workbench. There is an option to install Glow Icons from the BW install process.

If you get a load module error doing this, perhaps install 3.1.4 first & then do a rolling upgrade from the BestWB homepage options.

Here's the First Install direct link: http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/Files/BestWB.zip

& here's the home Web page: http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/BestWB.htm

I'm currently installing 3.2 with BestWB installed on a PiStorm32 Lite/CM4 combo in an Elbox Mediator 1200TX rig, purely in an effort to find out why my 1D4 mobo keeps disconnecting on downloads via Fast Ethernet?
You can read progress here: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=117261
Old 25 April 2024, 13:21   #14
FerociousAmiga

Thanks everyone. CaffeineOS 923 is very nice. Also going to build WB3.2x