English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Looking for a game name ?

Old 06 March 2002, 00:48   #21
Zeewolf

It was a very early game, Im not even sure that it was, Im going to have to look in the loft & see if I still have it!

Old 07 March 2002, 15:19   #22
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
I remember playing a lightcycle game on my neighbor's Amiga years ago. It was called Rasterbike. I have never seen it in ADF format...
I too think that might be it, at least in the right direction.
Here's a screenshot of Rasterbike:

http://www.thelegacy.de/Museum/6053/

Hope it's the one...

Last edited by andreas; 07 March 2002 at 22:47.
Old 07 March 2002, 15:59   #23
Tim Janssen

Question About Corx

Cody, do you know who published Corx? In 1992 Starbyte Software advertised a game called Rebel Racer in several German magazines. The screenshots of this game looked very similar to those in Corx.
Old 07 March 2002, 20:56   #24
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

It was published by Starbyte Software in 1992, so it sounds like the same game. I don't know any other info about this mystery, though!
Old 07 March 2002, 21:43   #25
Amiga1992

I've got a candidate, just let me find the screenshot among all my mags :P
Old 07 March 2002, 22:55   #26
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Rasterbike

I've seen Rasterbike mentioned a few times in this thread, but it doesn't quite fit the description that Zeewolf gave. I did notice though that Ethylene mentioned that he'd never seen a working ADF of the game, and though Andreas was able to provide a link to a screenshot, I didn't see anything to contradict that.

It just so happens that I have a working ADF of this that I converted using disk2fdi, so if anybody gives the northbound end of a southbound rat's ass about it, I'd be happy to upload it to the zone after the server move.
Old 08 March 2002, 03:34   #27
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

@Chuckles
I give all that rat's ass stuff about it. Heck, I want any/every version of games that I don't already have, although I don't really remember testing my Rasterbike (copy(s?) in emulation. So please do upload after said server move.

@Tim
Would *LOVE* to see this ad for Rebel Racers! Any chance for a scannee?!?
Old 08 March 2002, 03:58   #28
Chuckles
The Ancient One

@Twistin'Ghost
Ok then, I'll get it uploaded before the weekend is out then. Mind you that I haven't gone all that far into the game, but it's worked fine for me as far as I have gone. If it messes up farther into the game, I'm sure that one of the joystick jockeys around here is probably more likely to discover the problem than I am.

@RCK, and everybody else here ...
BTW, I just wanted to say that I've been really pleased to see what a lively community of folks you have here at EAB. This board is far more interesting than any other I've run across, and I'm just glad to have stumbled in. Thanks for providing it!
Old 08 March 2002, 06:37   #29
ethylene

Send a message via ICQ to ethylene Send a message via AIM to ethylene Send a message via MSN to ethylene Send a message via Yahoo to ethylene
@Chuckles

Yeah! A Rasterbike ADF! I'm more of a gamepad grappler than a joystick jockey, but I'll let you know if it bugs

@RCK, and admins...

Indeed, this is a great service to the Amiga users. Thank you sincerely for all your unselfish efforts and may your generosity be rewarded tenfold.
Old 08 March 2002, 09:58   #30
Tim Janssen

Arrow Corx advert & possible review coming Monday

Somehow I have the feeling that Corx = Rebel Racer.
I have checked an index of reviewed games that appeared monthly in Amiga Joker. It seemed they reviewed Rebel Racer in March 1992. I'll try to dig up both the review and advert this weekend.
Strange I cannot remember anything anymore of that review...
Old 11 March 2002, 07:00   #31
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Rasterbike

It's in the Zone ...
Old 11 March 2002, 08:26   #32
Tim Janssen

Post Rebel Racer advert

I have found both advert and review of Corx/ Rebel Racer.
I have attached the Rebel Racer-ad to this post which is scanned from Amiga Joker, April 1992. I assumed the Rebel Racer-ad featured some ingame-screenshots. Sadly, I was mistaken. By the way, according to the advert, Rebel Racer would also appear on the C64 which was not the case. Another case of a 'game that isn't' on that old Commodore machine.
Old 11 March 2002, 08:26   #33
Tim Janssen

Post Corx review

...And here is the Corx-review in the March 1992 of Amiga Joker. Note the subtitle of Corx which is called 'The Rebel Racers'. -This game certainly has two different titles.
Corx got a typical Amiga Joker threat: The reviewer praised sounds, graphics and presentation but slagged off the whole game because the idea was unoriginal. If gamesmagazines had such an attitude nowadays no game would score above 10%.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corx-rev.gif
Views:	386
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1990  
Old 11 March 2002, 09:10   #34
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Thanks, Tim. And to think, that review ran exactly 10 years ago!
Old 11 March 2002, 09:32   #35
Tim Janssen

Eek Time flies

I haven't realised it has been ten years since this review has appeared. Time really has flied by. In my experience the first half of 1992 brought the most and best Amiga games (an average of 40+ Amiga games a month). Sadly within six months it will be ten years since the first dark clouds gathered above the commercial Amiga market. American software companies Sierra and Accolade announced autumn 1992 they would abandon the Amiga market.
Old 11 March 2002, 09:46   #36
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I remember vividly when Sierra made that announcement. In fact, Pyromania and myself were laughing about it and saying "Good riddance!" when we heard that. The only Sierra product that ever was coded for the Amiga are the ones that were coded by Europeans. The US-made games were crap, IMHO. Sure, there may have been good stories and some level of depth for adventure game fans, but I always found those games to be undernourished in the presentation department. And that horrid music, the PC color palettes, etc. - if I wanted that kind of game, I could have joined the fleet of PC gaming.

I think King's Quest VI was not planned for Amiga release and the UK team took on the task anyhow (for the European market) and finally there was a quality KQ game for the Amiga. But as you pointed out, this was the era when the dark cloud began swooping over the Amiga's head (in other words, the wretched PC began getting it's slimy nails in the rest of the world...)

Accolade actually made a real attempt at improving their conversions from the PC, but being a PC-based US company, they just couldn't get the kind of numbers that they were accustomed to getting from the IBM crowd, so... (sigh)
Old 11 March 2002, 09:49   #37
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Translation...:)

Ummm...this is in German. Besides Tim, I didn't know that you understand German so well.
Let's translate this a bit to fit into an international forum (<grin>)

Walt Disney brought us Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, countless cartoon classics and - last but not least - the legendary computer movie "TRON". Now that's a a fine kettle of fish! Dozens of PD programs and full-price games aimed at rehashing their famous digi-race, now eventually Starbyte is following suit.

So this is more than just old hat: someone who doesn't yet know the rules of an event like this has apparently spent his last ten years in some sort of "Andromeda fog". Thus, we can cut a long story short: Two opponents are dashing over a fenced pathway and mark their course using a colored stripe that must not be crossed. Mostly (as in this case), a limited amount of jumps is permitted, however, if these are used up once, the next collision with the course line will lead to instant death.
Well, to the Ruhrgebiet software company's credit, they managed to beef up the hackneyed game plot using all kinds of sophisticated bits and pieces. Thus, the screen is split up, the vehicles got gas and brakes, the lane is varicolored (with nice color gradients), and the view is a fast 3D one. Everything of that is OK, but how can you benefit from that if your eyes are doomed to "stick" on the radar scanner? Well yes, also the music is quite enjoyable, the FX are tolerable, and there's LOTS and LOTS of options: two-player and tournament mode, variable difficulty levels, everything's just there. Together with its very accurate control by joystick or by keyboard, Corx is doubtlessly the best game of its kind. But actually, it ought to have come into the programmer's minds a few years before...
Old 11 March 2002, 10:03   #38
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I enjoyed that review 100% more by understanding it! Thanks for the translation, as I don't know when I'd have gotten around to translating it (it seems it would have been worth the trouble!). So thanks so much, Andreas!
Old 11 March 2002, 10:20   #39
Tim Janssen

Happy Translation

Wow, thanks for translating the text so quickly, Andreas.
I can read & write both English and German but my knowledge of both languages isn't that good. Letting the text translate by me (a Dutch cloggie) would result in unreadable drabble due to a limit use of the English vocabulary.
Old 13 March 2002, 10:01   #40
Korodny
Zone Friend

@Tim:

Rebel Racer *was* indeed released for the C64. I have it lying around here.