English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 February 2013, 13:05   #1
tesla

GREAT Sony Monitor

I recently bought a Sony PVM-1342Q monitor for $10 USD.

I can tell it was aimed at the professional market, as it has lots of BNC connectors on it, and can display almost anything, including PAL, SECAM, NTSC 3.58, 4.43, digital/analog RGB, Y/C input, (4-pin din),VTR input. Anyhow, for those of you that might be curious, this is the spec sheet on it, I bet it would make a great monitor in Europe also.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/PVM1344Q.PDF

Any comments? Anyone have or had one?
Old 21 February 2013, 13:33   #2
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla View Post
I recently bought a Sony PVM-1342Q monitor for $10 USD.

I can tell it was aimed at the professional market, as it has lots of BNC connectors on it, and can display almost anything, including PAL, SECAM, NTSC 3.58, 4.43, digital/analog RGB, Y/C input, (4-pin din),VTR input. Anyhow, for those of you that might be curious, this is the spec sheet on it, I bet it would make a great monitor in Europe also.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/PVM1344Q.PDF

Any comments? Anyone have or had one?
Hi, We had one of these at work. they are used mostly in video surveillance systems. and they display in pretty well all formats and the colour, clarity and picture quality is really great. They are really heavy too for their size . I upgraded the video system to a 42" flatscreen with multiple input display so we can see 16 cameras at once and retired th Sony. it was 8 years old when retired and still good
Old 21 February 2013, 21:46   #3
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

When I worked at the local TV station several years back, we had several of those monitors. They're very high quality, the blue-only switch is great for calibration to SMPTE color bars and it's handy to be able to underscan the image. Assuming the monitor isn't completely worn out from being used nearly 24/7 for several years, you should be happy with it.
Old 21 February 2013, 23:22   #4
tesla

Hi

It is in very good shape. The only negatives are it's heavy, (like all CRT's are) and the picture tube is small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalH View Post
When I worked at the local TV station several years back, we had several of those monitors. They're very high quality, the blue-only switch is great for calibration to SMPTE color bars and it's handy to be able to underscan the image. Assuming the monitor isn't completely worn out from being used nearly 24/7 for several years, you should be happy with it.
nd

Last edited by tesla; 25 February 2013 at 23:29.
Old 22 February 2013, 20:46   #5
Jope
-

PVM = Professional Video Monitor.. It is per default a rather good monitor.

The only better series of 15kHz monitor you can get are the Sony BVM series, which are Broadcast Video Monitors, basically reference quality with loads of trimmers to turn so that you can get that perfect picture. :-)
Old 13 June 2013, 22:33   #6
CDTV1991

I've just picked up one of these too. Now I need to find how how I connect it to my A1200.

I currently have an RGB to SCART adapter, connected to a small BUSH CRT TV and the picture is very good.

The Sony PVM was free and its just got that retro edge over my BUSH TV, so I would like to use it. It was an ex studio monitor from S4C, the Welsh broadcaster.

I tried a composite connection, with a cheap adapter, but the picture was poor.

I was considering buying this cable to use with my current RGB to SCART cable. I will connect the audio direct to an external amp.

http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/s...erter-bnc.html

Will this be ok?

or is there something cheaper that I could use?

Thanks
Old 15 June 2013, 09:40   #7
emufan

over at amiga.org they had the same question some years ago. maybe you find some more details over there.
one talks about a RGB to BNC adapter, but i cannot find such cable. selfmade it seems.
i was thinking about the RGB to VGA adapter, but the sony does not have such port.

Last edited by emufan; 15 June 2013 at 09:48.
Old 15 June 2013, 23:01   #8
CDTV1991

I brought this and it works perfectly

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/son...erter-bnc.html

Nice picture, not night and day better than my SCART telly, but with the added retro-ness it works for me