English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 13 August 2010, 05:30   #1
stefcep2

Is Classic WB Lite compatible with CGX4?

I'm just getting my A4000 set up after the MB caps and simm sockets were replaced. I have also just got an Indivision (great kit btw) and I'm taking its output and routing it to the pass through input of my CV64.

Native screenmodes work on the LCD I'm using. When I insall p96 within 3.1 ClassicWb Lite, the CV64 works. But P96 is noticeably slower than CGX4- I know this beacsue I have a seperate 3.9 with CGX 4 partition, which works fine. Well here's the thing: installing CGX 4 after removing p96 results in a grey screen or a crash with any CGX screen modes. i repeat P96 is fine. So is there anything in Classic WB Lite that conflicts with CGX (btw the same happened with the CV64/3D board)
Old 14 August 2010, 03:04   #2
stefcep2

ok so no-one used Classic WB with CGX?

BTW, I copied all the CGX files (libs, monitor drivers, prefs, CGXmode) from the working non-ClassicWB (OS 3.9) install and its STILL just gives a grey screen when selecting a CGX screen.

This is a MAJOR bummer, as I like ClassicWB, but P96 runs sooo much slower than CGX with the CV64.
Old 14 August 2010, 23:16   #3
Bloodwych

It's going to be trial and error I'm afraid. I do all the setups in WinUAE these days and only test on an A1200 with fastram, so I'm a but stuck when people have issues on real Amiga setups with hardware I'm not familiar with.

If you look in the Run->Settings menu, there are components which can be enabled and disabled. Try playing around with those first, disabling as much as possible. If no success, try and comment out ( ; ) certain items in the startup files, which again can be found under the menus.
Old 15 August 2010, 05:04   #4
stefcep2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
It's going to be trial and error I'm afraid. I do all the setups in WinUAE these days and only test on an A1200 with fastram, so I'm a but stuck when people have issues on real Amiga setups with hardware I'm not familiar with.

If you look in the Run->Settings menu, there are componen.ts which can be enabled and disabled. Try playing around with those first, disabling as much as possible. If no success, try and comment out ( ; ) certain items in the startup files, which again can be found under the menus.
OK I''ll give it a try and see.. or I'll start from a fresh 3.1 install, and bit by bit add the bits I need.
Old 15 August 2010, 13:58   #5
Bloodwych

Good luck.

Good idea to start from scratch and add stuff gradually from the pack. Let us know if you find out what it is causing the problem. It's always fun and games with Workbench.
Old 02 October 2010, 13:18   #6
stefcep2

OK I found that the "force chunky" option in CGXprefs needs to be deselected, and FBlit and Ftext need to be disabled. P96 works with Fblit and Ftext enabled, and it may be some setting within Fblit and Ftext that conflicts with CGX but not P96, but with all the Fblit and Ftext options thats too complicated for me to work out!
Old 02 October 2010, 13:31   #7
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
I think the fact that fblit works with P96 was pure luck as the two shouldnt be used together as both will be patching os blitting functions.
Old 02 October 2010, 13:43   #8
Bloodwych

As mentioned above, FBlit and FText are not required for graphics cards on the Amiga and should always be disabled, so ignore all those options. They basically allow the CPU to take over blitter operations to speed up Workbench and allow more free chipram. A graphics card does all this for you out of the box.

ClassicWB LITE has FBlit disabled by default, which is why I didn't initially suggest it. Thanks for the feedback about the force chunky option. Check out BlazeWCP - perhaps that has something to do with it and/or Smartwin. I think there are enable/disable options under settings in the LITE too.
Old 02 October 2010, 16:31   #9
stefcep2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
As mentioned above, FBlit and FText are not required for graphics cards on the Amiga and should always be disabled, so ignore all those options. They basically allow the CPU to take over blitter operations to speed up Workbench and allow more free chipram. A graphics card does all this for you out of the box.

ClassicWB LITE has FBlit disabled by default, which is why I didn't initially suggest it. Thanks for the feedback about the force chunky option. Check out BlazeWCP - perhaps that has something to do with it and/or Smartwin. I think there are enable/disable options under settings in the LITE too.
I did check Blazewcp, and found that it makes no difference on or off, as long as force chunk was disabled, CGX screens were fine. But FBlit and Ftext have to be disabled.