English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 20 May 2010, 13:50   #1
dangermouse

Problem installing OS 4.0 onto a 4000

Hi folks

I had a thread running a while back on Amigaworld:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/...13&forum=14&22

but, even though plenty of people offered suggestions, I got nowhere.

So..I'll give this forum a shot

Long story short I have the following system:

A4000 / CyberstormPPC / CybervisionPPC / 4GB CF card connected to internal IDE controller / Plextor UltraWide SCSI CD-ROM connected to the CSPPC

I run through the 4.0 installation process and all is happy chappies (no errors, nothing) until the very last thing (after it's copied all the files) where upon I get the following error message:

"No language preferences selected, you should do that after booting your system. Copying default preferences...
Error copying standard preferences files"

The only option then is to 'Cancel' which buggers up the installation.

I've run this install MANY times and have verified each time that I selected 'english' as the language so I've got no idea why it thinks I didn't. I've also tried creating my partitions manually, using the default templates and using combinations of FFS and SFS and nothing fixes it. After clicking 'Cancel' I'm dumped back on the WB screen so I thought I'd enter my new system partition to see if there were issues and I can navigate around it without any problems.

If anyone can shed any insight into this it would be greatly appreciated as I'm simply getting nowhere

Thanks

Old 20 May 2010, 15:18   #2
thomas

Quote:
After clicking 'Cancel' I'm dumped back on the WB screen so I thought I'd enter my new system partition to see if there were issues and I can navigate around it without any problems.
Actually I don't see your problem. If everything is ok after you clicked Cancel, why bother with language settings if english (the default) is your preferred language ?
Old 20 May 2010, 17:38   #3
fryguy

If you chosen a different language (or was it keyboard mapping?) than english the installer would fail IIRC.
Old 20 May 2010, 22:21   #4
dangermouse

Thanks for the replies

@Thomas - it's no good for as soon as I reset the Amiga the system will not boot. AmigaDOS gives a couple of error messages:

:c-68k/version: Unknown command
:c-68k/version: Unknown command
:Installation-Support/BuildScreenModePrefs: Unknown command

Looking at someones website where they reviewed an installation of 4.1 (not 4.0 as in my case but close enough I figure) I see in their install that the output at the end of the install should be:

"Configuring your new system Installation. This will only take a few moments.
Copying language preferences...
Copying default preferences...
Enabling screen blanker...
Removing install monitor drivers...
Creating default monitor driver...
Copying post-install script..."

Mine always fails at the 2nd and 3rd lines so, as best as I can tell, the last 4 lines never get executed

@fryguy - I chose 'english' for the language and American English for my keyboard (suits us in NZ as we use US key layouts)

Thank you both

Old 23 May 2010, 22:48   #5
dangermouse

Problem solved.

During the install I chose 'British' as my keyboard and set my locale to the UK. One of those two settings fixed my problem so if anyone else encounters the same (I'm frankly amazed this doesn't appear to be a common issue..is everyone in the UK?) then set things to the UK and change them later.

Tested multiple times and all installs have worked fine with those settings.

Thanks to fryguy for pointing me in the right direction

Old 23 May 2010, 22:54   #6
fryguy

@dangermouse: Good to hear you got it working, it's indeed strange that the beta testers didn't noticed that imo.