English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 August 2004, 02:00   #21
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca
No I meant that they should not be included.

Turrican 3 is appaling, theres quite a few games on there that should NOT be included, it depends on what you want - either quality, quantity or a general mish-mash. Also if you released 3 DVD's I'm sure people would download them!
Didnt play Turrican 3 but 1 & 2 were classics and i would get hung on this forum if i left them off.
Its a free dvd ( Im the only one who is paying out ).....I havent got the time to try thousands of games to see if there any good or what mark they got in Amiga Format. All the classics and many more. I recommend if people dont like whats on it.....Dont download it
You cant please everyone theres always gonna be a game i missed thats someones favourite !!! You say there are some that shouldnt be there...WHY !!!.
Someone else may love those games so i cant remove them just because you say they shouldnt be there. That would be contridicting yourself

I dunno.....One can only try ( Beginning to wonder why though )

Last edited by synchro; 11 August 2004 at 05:12.
Old 11 August 2004, 08:56   #22
Macca
Zone Friend

Smile

I think you have misinterpretated me mate.

You asked for a valid reason why the games I mentioned should be on there - and my answer is that they are truly classics if you are a Sierra fan. Sierra with Lesisure Suit Larry, Police Quest and numerous others are a very collectable company and most of the games are good.

I agree with Turrican 1 and 2 they are classics in every sense of the word. It's a shame about Turrican 3 as that truly sucked (have a quick go on it to see what I mean if you can last past 5 minutes then you are inhuman).

What I was saying is that in my opinion certain games on the DVD are not as good or as collectable as the one's I mentioned (obviously you're going to get certain people who say they are).

I didn't mean to offend you and yes I know it's a free project. I am doing something very similar in the next few weeks (months at the rate this download is going) and you are more than welcome to constructively criticise mine to the hilt - lol

Macca
Old 11 August 2004, 12:43   #23
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Basicly i included All the WHD's because they were already done. I figured someone went to trouble of converting them for a reason. I thought because they were requested at some time. There are loads more not in the list i have included so there should be something for everyone.

Tribute 1 was only 500 meg and that seemed to go down well. Tribute 2 is huge compared to that one so heres hoping
Old 11 August 2004, 23:03   #24
andyr

Hey, Synchro...

641 MB actually!

(Sad post I know but I still keep the disk to hand m8!)
Old 12 August 2004, 01:13   #25
StarEye
Zone Friend

I'm not sure I understand the objective of the project, is this an Xbox Emu-dvd with whdload games that runs straight from the disc? Or is it a PC-project that runs straight from the DVD? If it's a dvd-disc, is it possible to just use something like Xfer to transfer the xbox iso to the HD?
Old 12 August 2004, 04:11   #26
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
I'm not sure I understand the objective of the project, is this an Xbox Emu-dvd with whdload games that runs straight from the disc? Or is it a PC-project that runs straight from the DVD? If it's a dvd-disc, is it possible to just use something like Xfer to transfer the xbox iso to the HD?
Ok heres a brief history
Tribute 2 was and "IS" primaraly for the PC. However i found a way to make it duel boot do i could incorporate Winuaex. This meant that they could share the ADF's in the Amigadisks directory basicly making it usable on both machines. I then thought i could add a few ISO images to run from Xbox in cd32 mode.....I then decided to put a few workbenchs on....I now find i can run a lot of the game HDF's i have made straight from WinUAEX so i will add some of those.

Its not magic or anything.....Winuaex takes a lot of setting up to get stuff to work and the success rate of WHD from an Xbox Workbench is very low. So low in fact im only thinking of just adding some for people to mess around with as the space could be better used elsewhere.
But !!! With some Workbench's....HDFgames.....ISO's.....and a dir of ADF's added its worth the addition of WinUAEX so some of us get the best of both worlds and makes the DVD a little unique.

I will also alter the skins in WinUAEX to blend with the Tribute DVD a little like the pic below.
Please dont think the Xbox section is anything incredible. Stuff does work but its slow in most cases and although i can configure a lot of the stuff you will only get out the effort you put in to get things running sweet

These are old pics StarEye but I assume by your question you havent seen them.

The pc menu's look something like this ...

And the Xbox skins look something like this ...

Old 12 August 2004, 09:36   #27
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Have I missed the discussion about how this is being released, if at all? Is it being sold on DVD, available on P2P (like ED2K networks) or just for one person to brag about?

It seems a great piece of work that lots of people would like, hence the curiosity.

Should be great for both machines as well. Hmmm Amiga upstairs downstairs and everywhere in my house!!!!!!!
Old 12 August 2004, 10:26   #28
StarEye
Zone Friend

Synchro: thank's for clearing it up for me. Looks like a pretty cool disc, I'm looking forward to try it. Like Methanoid said, how is it going to be made available?
Old 12 August 2004, 10:53   #29
Bad Mr Frosty

What problems have you run into with WHDLoad on the Xbox? I have installed about 100 games and so far there is only 2 that I could not get to work (Midnight Resistance and Xenon 2 IIRC)
Old 12 August 2004, 11:15   #30
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

The copy of xenon 2 you have is probably the one that doesn't work under normal winuae as well.

If you install it with the new caps ipf then it works apparently (thanks DeCreator for pointing this out)

Good to hear winuaeX is working well, I plan to install it soon, although my xbox ftp only seems to go at 14kbs at the moment, I used to get 5000kbs. Not fair!
Old 12 August 2004, 13:00   #31
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mr Frosty
What problems have you run into with WHDLoad on the Xbox? I have installed about 100 games and so far there is only 2 that I could not get to work (Midnight Resistance and Xenon 2 IIRC)
I keep getting "Not enough memory for slave" message ????
In all honesty i have yet to spend more time on the Xbox side of things so please give me any info you can

For example ......whats your workbench setup ??? is it a dir or an HDF ??? Is it a bog standard install or using any of bloodwych's classic setups. All this info will help me greatly !!!!

StarEye !! The DVD is free....I will be posting it to many people at my own expense when the time comes so keep reading !! It would be nice if we could get a system or an agreement that if i send it to anyone they agree to send a copy to at least 3 other people on this board ( I dont mean the people who have helped and donated they have done enough ) just you other general riff raff
Old 12 August 2004, 13:14   #32
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro
StarEye !! The DVD is free....I will be posting it to many people at my own expense when the time comes so keep reading !! It would be nice if we could get a system or an agreement that if i send it to anyone they agree to send a copy to at least 3 other people on this board ( I dont mean the people who have helped and donated they have done enough ) just you other general riff raff
Great idea for distro but not good if the person doesnt have a DVD writer - if the disk were available on P2P then at least that is another way to get it. I would not recommend any scheme that involves money even if it is to cover justs (ie £2.50 to cover DVD, envelope, post etc) as then there could be interest from people who claim its making a profit etc.

Anyway, I do have a writer so happy to pass on to some other bods if I theoretically got hold of this
Old 12 August 2004, 14:01   #33
Bad Mr Frosty

My Xbox setup is as follows:

Latest version of WinUAEX
Kickstart 3.1
CPU 68020+FPU
CPU Speed Real
CPU Compatible NO
Cycle Exact No
Video Chipset AGA
Video Mode PAL (This caused some WHDLoads not to work when they try to force NTSC. Remove the NTSC tooltype from the slave to solve)
JIT Cache 4MB
Chipmem 2MB
Fastmem 8MB
Slowmem 0MB
Fast Copper Yes
Immediate Blits No
Collision Level Sprites and Playfield
Floppy Speed 100%
Sound Interpolation Crux
Sound Filter Emulated
Sound Quality Exact/Slower

I have set up 4 hard disks. 3 are hardfiles, 1 with workbench and 2 with my games. The third hard disk is a mounted directory which I transfer stuff i want to install directly into via FTP.

My workbench setup:

Workbench 3.1
Scalos
Classact
Magic Menu
MUI
Newicons
Directory Opus
JST
WHDLoad 16.2

As said above, with this setup nearly everything works.
Old 12 August 2004, 14:23   #34
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
I would not recommend any scheme that involves money even if it is to cover justs (ie £2.50 to cover DVD, envelope, post etc) as then there could be interest from people who claim its making a profit etc.

Anyway, I do have a writer so happy to pass on to some other bods if I theoretically got hold of this
I did state at my own expense and the DVD was free !!!!
There will be no money involved !!!

People who have an FTP and are willing to share will stand a better chance of getting it first. This sort of thing usually finds its way on Kazaa and other places
Old 12 August 2004, 14:25   #35
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mr Frosty
My Xbox setup is as follows:

Latest version of WinUAEX
Kickstart 3.1
CPU 68020+FPU
CPU Speed Real
CPU Compatible NO
Cycle Exact No
Video Chipset AGA
Video Mode PAL (This caused some WHDLoads not to work when they try to force NTSC. Remove the NTSC tooltype from the slave to solve)
JIT Cache 4MB
Chipmem 2MB
Fastmem 8MB
Slowmem 0MB
Fast Copper Yes
Immediate Blits No
Collision Level Sprites and Playfield
Floppy Speed 100%
Sound Interpolation Crux
Sound Filter Emulated
Sound Quality Exact/Slower

I have set up 4 hard disks. 3 are hardfiles, 1 with workbench and 2 with my games. The third hard disk is a mounted directory which I transfer stuff i want to install directly into via FTP.

My workbench setup:

Workbench 3.1
Scalos
Classact
Magic Menu
MUI
Newicons
Directory Opus
JST
WHDLoad 16.2

As said above, with this setup nearly everything works.
Thats a cool setup.....How big does that end up as ????

Just tried your config and it does appear more stable
Games that didnt work now do

Last edited by synchro; 12 August 2004 at 15:10.
Old 12 August 2004, 15:43   #36
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Ok im able to point the workbench to the WHD games directory so they are all available in the Winuaex Workbench.

My next worry is.....Does the config save within Winuaex itself or somewhere on the xbox ?????

BTW....Sorry Andyr missed your post !!! Who made that crappy label then

Old 12 August 2004, 16:26   #37
Bad Mr Frosty

My Workbench hardfile is 20MB, 11 MB used.

The config is saved to the Xbox but you can put the ini file onto the DVD and use the force reload option to load it.
Old 12 August 2004, 20:52   #38
andyr

Smile

Quote:
BTW....Sorry Andyr missed your post !!! Who made that crappy label then
I don't know m8...

Just want to say that I don't mind helping with the distribution of the DVD (for free) - at least then I'd be able to justify to myself the money I spent on a DVD writer I've only used 4 times since May!

I do have an 80GB HD in my xbox but most of it is taken up with XBOX games so from a personal point of view, this DVD will be a great help!

I would, though, mention the fact that some XBOX's can be fussy with media. My XBOX very rarely reads any DVD- media (different brands as well) but has no problem what-so-ever with DVD+. Then again, most XBOX's hate CD-R's but mine will play them without problem. Other XBOX's love DVD- but refuse to read DVD+ (like my nephews box)

Finally, I know the disc is ready when its ready but is there any chance you could just give us a 'percentage complete' number?

Finally (again - It's alright, I'll shut up in a minute!) - Is there anything I can do to help (late stage I know but I did offer a few weeks ago as well!)
Old 13 August 2004, 02:42   #39
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

You have an older Xbox if it reads cd's probably a v1.0 but thats a good thing
Nearly ALL Xbox DVD drives hate DVD+ so that isnt anything new ( You will find that info on any Xbox forum ) DVD- is always recomended for Xbox.

The disc contents are being assembled on a 2.5 inch 20 GB HDD and the menu is being created on my main HDD.
Percentage complete is hard to say as a whole but to put it into perspective i now have everything going on the DVD on the small drive....The menu is nearly finished......Once im happy with the layout and have sorted the xbox side of things IE configs....ISO's and HDF's i could assemble it in less than a day. I need to be a bit clever as the PC side is 90% of the DVD and i need to point Winuaex to see the goodies so it can utilise them making Winuaex seem HUGE
Considering Winuaex is only 8meg the rest will probably be ADF's and stuff but you should be able to access all the games listed above through the workbench on the Xbox anyway........... I hope

As for help iv asked for loads where were you
I still would like some theme backgrounds for Workbench kind of tributy...xboxy...amiga-ish but to be honest i have had little response

Help has been pretty thin but i suppose its quiet times on the Amiga ........But those that have helped directly like Bloodwych ( He assembled the workbench's ).....or indirectly like Bippy ..Cody...etc These people really own the DVD and have made it very easy for me to get this far so quickly ( Basicly they let me leech and leech Greedy ) so thanks to them all is going very well. Oh and Toni Wilen of course without Toni you would all recieve a blank.

All i can say is I will burn the Master once im happy with the layout and have ironed out any niggles i may have so its SOON

God did i write all that crap.....Didnt seem that much

BTW....Of course you will get one Andy so buy your Writer

Last edited by synchro; 13 August 2004 at 03:58.
Old 13 August 2004, 21:04   #40
andyr

I've already bought the writer but hardly ever use it - that's what I was saying m8! I was trying to use the excuse of helping you with duplication as justification for paying out £90 all those months ago!

My XBOX is a 1.1 with a Samsung drive. First thing I did before even turning it on for the first was to install a chip - one of the first with a Matrix chip.

Like you say, most forums advocate the use of DVD-R for xbox but mine will very very rarely read one but it reads any DVD+ first time, every time. When I've received stuff off friends on DVD-R for xbox I usually just FTP it over to the xbox HD (hence it's full of games!)

Quote:
As for help iv asked for loads where were you
I posted this in June...

Quote:
(If you need any help with anything no matter how mundane then just drop me a line (admin@madtheatre.co.uk) - I've a got a quiet few weeks ahead of me (after a load of hectic ones!)
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=14056

So ner!

Actually, I'm not all that active on this board but I seem to be getting into Amiga again after a bit of lull...and have re-started programming work on my Amiga pet project...details when I've something to release. What's weird is about a year ago I just couldn't track down this damn bug causing the system to hang (and giving me nothing but headaches!) Sorted it within an hour or re-visiting the code the other day!