English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 20 June 2023, 10:57   #21
Nightfox

Yeah I just liked the features in the AmigaOS 3.2 NDK and wanted to use it. If there was a physical reason why a 68020 Amiga couldn't upgrade to AmigaOS 3.2 then I would have possibly looked into using something like MUI instead. I'd like to encourage people to upgrade to the latest OS and not judge developers wanting to use the new tools available for the sake of supporting legacy OS's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Please do!

I started out diffing the changes, but if you could move your changes into a fork of the json-c repo so some git history is maintained that'd be superduperawesome.
No worries, I'll get that done in the coming days.
Old 20 June 2023, 21:18   #22
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
Haha yes I had to port the json-c library over to get it to compile. I was so sick of parsing json strings manually so spent a day finding a library to use and then getting it to compile.

I should put this ported library in its own repo for others to use
You could go one better and use it to perhaps build a genuine Amiga shared library for dealing with JSON formatted data. It's an enormously prevalent format these days. I even confess to having used it of my own free will on some personal projects.
Old 21 June 2023, 04:18   #23
Nightfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
You could go one better and use it to perhaps build a genuine Amiga shared library for dealing with JSON formatted data. It's an enormously prevalent format these days. I even confess to having used it of my own free will on some personal projects.
gosh, that sounds great but json.library sounds like a scary project lol
Old 21 June 2023, 10:00   #24
Locutus

Combined with a nice `httpx.library` it could open up quite a lot of possibilities for fun little client GUI frontends for public REST API services.

MUI Frontend for Spotify? Sure, ReAction frontend for Reddit? .....well
Old 21 June 2023, 10:00   #25
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
No, it's the usual reason - laziness. Making GUI elements from scratch is hard work, so when the OS already has one ready to go...
Nothing to do with laziness; do you really think every Amiga application should have its own written-from-scratch GUI? For a lot of applications this would be more work than the entirety of the rest of the application, and we would end up with every program having a different look and feel, lack of standardized behaviour, lots of bugs, etc.
Old 21 June 2023, 13:01   #26
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Nothing to do with laziness; do you really think every Amiga application should have its own written-from-scratch GUI? For a lot of applications this would be more work than the entirety of the rest of the application,
Like I said, laziness.

Quote:
and we would end up with every program having a different look and feel, lack of standardized behaviour, lots of bugs, etc.
I tell you, people today have it so easy. Back in my day there were no GUI frameworks. If you wanted a list box or text editing field you had to create it yourself. This gave each program a unique character that made it more interesting.

When we had GUIs. Before the Amiga most home computers only did text. If you wanted a GUI you had to create it from scratch. The first computer I built didn't even have text. It didn't have an assembler either, so I had to remember the hex codes and write them down on paper. Then to get the program into the computer I burned it into a fuse link PROM one bit at a time, setting the address with a rotary switch and pressing the 'blow fuse' button several times for each bit. Make a mistake and the PROM was shot. Couldn't buy that programmer either, I had to design and build it myself from scratch. That was real programming, where you weren't riding on the back of other people's hard work.

Then came the wonderful EPROMs that could be erased with a hard UV lamp. But I didn't have one of those, so I bought a blacklight and broke the outer bulb to expose the UV lamp inside, adding an external ballast lamp to replace the filament. Yes, I know - I should have made my own UV lamp by melting down some quartz and blowing it into a bulb, then inserting metal electrodes and liquid mercury into it (after mining and processing all the materials myself). But I was lazy.
Old 21 June 2023, 13:17   #27
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Like I said, laziness.

I tell you, people today have it so easy. Back in my day there were no GUI frameworks. If you wanted a list box or text editing field you had to create it yourself. This gave each program a unique character that made it more interesting.

When we had GUIs. Before the Amiga most home computers only did text. If you wanted a GUI you had to create it from scratch. The first computer I built didn't even have text. It didn't have an assembler either, so I had to remember the hex codes and write them down on paper. Then to get the program into the computer I burned it into a fuse link PROM one bit at a time, setting the address with a rotary switch and pressing the 'blow fuse' button several times for each bit. Make a mistake and the PROM was shot. Couldn't buy that programmer either, I had to design and build it myself from scratch. That was real programming, where you weren't riding on the back of other people's hard work.

Then came the wonderful EPROMs that could be erased with a hard UV lamp. But I didn't have one of those, so I bought a blacklight and broke the outer bulb to expose the UV lamp inside, adding an external ballast lamp to replace the filament. Yes, I know - I should have made my own UV lamp by melting down some quartz and blowing it into a bulb, then inserting metal electrodes and liquid mercury into it (after mining and processing all the materials myself). But I was lazy.
Luxury. I used to have to make GUIs out of old cardboard boxes, and instead of hex codes I used lumps of coal.
Old 21 June 2023, 13:35   #28
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Nothing to do with laziness; do you really think every Amiga application should have its own written-from-scratch GUI? For a lot of applications this would be more work than the entirety of the rest of the application, and we would end up with every program having a different look and feel, lack of standardized behaviour, lots of bugs, etc.
Who wants consistency, resolution/font sensitivity and localisation anyway? I ****ing love squinting at an unscalable topaz 8 from scratch UI in a tiny region of an RTG display. You know, if it even runs on one.
Old 21 June 2023, 13:40   #29
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
Luxury. I used to have to make GUIs out of old cardboard boxes, and instead of hex codes I used lumps of coal.
Pft, luxury. We had to scratch our UIs I to the dirt with nothing but our bare fingers.
Old 21 June 2023, 14:28   #30
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Like I said, laziness.

yeah we should defo not have moved on from punch cards
Old 21 June 2023, 14:34   #31
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
yeah we should defo not have moved on from punch cards
Old 22 June 2023, 09:05   #32
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Like I said, laziness..
If you want something done in a fixed amount of time, are you going to waste your time reinventing the wheel, or leverage what is already provided and add do something to directly help the user with their task?

It's like if I said you should build your own Amiga from scratch out of sand, ore, etc. otherwise you are lazy, it's just ridiculous.

Quote:
No, it just led to lack of standards, needless varying reimplementations of the same thing, inconsistent GUIs. Commodore came up with the Style Guide for a reason.

Last edited by Minuous; 22 June 2023 at 10:25.
Old 24 June 2023, 10:06   #33
Nightfox

New version released 1.0.1

After setting UI font, the font is now applied fully without needing to restart the app
Old 25 June 2023, 02:15   #34
chocolate_boy

This looks great, but sadly I can't get it working on my set up. I have an A1200 with 060 and 128MB of RAM, PCMCIA ethernet and OS 3.2.2. I pay $20 for ChatGPT Plus and have access to GPT4.

I have entered the correct API key into AmigaGPT, but it just tells me that none of the GPT4 models exist, and if I try 3.5 it tells me I have exceeded my quota. These all work fine for me on ChatGPTs website and my iOS app, so it is not a problem with my subcription.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 25 June 2023, 07:03   #35
Nightfox

When you chat to ChatGPT in the website or in the.official mobile app, that is different than chatting to it via an API key with a third party app such as AmigaGPT.

Even if you have a ChatGPT Plus subscription, you still need to enter the waitlist for GPT-4 access with API keys.

You will also need to set up billing for your API access too. Again, this is separate from your ChatGPT Plus subscription.
Old 02 July 2023, 10:23   #36
hUMUNGUs

Love AmigaGPT.
A suggestion . The color palette when using its own screen could be better :-)

Keep the momentum going :-)
Old 02 July 2023, 13:14   #37
Calabazam

Nice. Could you make a MUI version for OS 3.1 (with Miami or whatever IP stack)?
Old 02 July 2023, 14:48   #38
hUMUNGUs

MUI version :-) Yes please
Old 02 July 2023, 15:43   #39
Nightfox

I've never used MUI before so I don't know how difficult it would be to make it use MUI instead of ReAction. I might consider it after I am done making the native AmigaOS 4 version of the app. There's still quite a bit of work left to do for that.

As for Miami, I haven't got Miami so I can't verify this but I think it will work no matter what TCP/IP stack you have installed. If anyone is using Miami or AmiTCP and it's not working, please let me know (either here or create in issue on the GitHub repo).

Question for everyone who hasn't upgraded to AmigaOS 3.2 yet:
For what reason aren't you upgrading? Is it just because it's not free? I assumed most people who use their Amiga on a regular basis for more than just games would be running the latest operating system.
Old 09 July 2023, 08:16   #40
hUMUNGUs

Would plugins be possible ?